The War of the Dragon

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

nersd

Re: The War of the Dragon

Post by nersd »

Velensk wrote:You are thinking of some other campaign. This campaign has no scenario by that name or that description.
Right :shock: I'm sorry! I dont know how this happend....:oops:

The campaign is "The Southern War".

Hmmm......but I dont find anything about this campaign....... :?
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Velensk, any hope to see this one up to date and available on 1.7/1.8 branch?
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It will certainly be available for the 1.8 branch though at the rate things are going I doubt I'll get it finished for 1.7.

I have been working on updating my older projects but I've also started work on a short campaign that hopefully won't take too much more time and I've been helping someone make an era.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

Okay, thanks for the feedback. Good luck with your different projects.
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
jgcrawfo

Post by jgcrawfo »

I'm playing through and enjoying your campaign right now, but a lot of the text is, simply put, bad. There are wrong homophones, errant apostrophes or the conspicuous lack of them where they would be appropriate, and just now Alloria said she was going to 'commodore' some ships while I'm fairly certain what she meant to say was 'commandeer'.
So, in the interests of helping your otherwise pretty solid campaign, are you looking for someone to help fix up the text in your campaign? I've got time on my hands and would be more than happy to do so.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I would greatly appreciate that kind of thing however two cautions.

First of all: The campaign is not finished and it might be best to wait to do these fixes till you can do them all at once. School has considerably slowed my progress working on the campaign but it is slowly crawling toward complete (I should have a mere three and a half more scenarios to complete after I finish updating the code).

Second of all: The dialogue is supposed to be a little stylized and thus there will be some grammatically strange things that I will keep from the original. This said I will certainly accept the majority of fixes.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
silent

Post by silent »

Well I just completed up to valemoi ruins on 1.6.5 medium.

Have to say this was an excellent campaign so far, even more challenging that TRoW on medium.

A few things I felt from the game though

first recruiting windsong: I would be very angry here if the majority of my units received quick/intelligent, given how necessary it is for units to be able to withstand attacks. luckily this didn't happen, but I felt that may be important.

second scenario: no comment. good start

swiftly south: no comment. fine

broken bridge: I would make it that hawken doesn't leave his post. He did not when I played but just making sure given his frailty and the presence of overgrowns/nailers

the way under: found it fairly ok on second attempt between 2 harbingers berserking their way through weak flappers and weakened other units, I would say though keeping all elementals alive is a very big priority, so very useful I have found them to be, especially the fire and the wind spirits, both which I made into djinns.

lisuandra's last stand: not bad, somewhat dependent on xp that she ended up on from previous scenario, can mean difference between several turns

fleeing the dragon:
Spoiler:
Battle with the unseen: somewhat difficult, and very luck dependent if coming in with minimum gold (perhaps I played it wrong) but probably intended that way, I guess

scenario 9 (the refugees and the harbour): I feel the victory conditions are very ambiguous here, what exactly does defend the city entail. On my playthrough, the AI leader helping me died at turn 11 (yay, since I could then steal the peasant's villages when they eventually moved) and I just spammed mostly legionnaires and a few choice level 3's to hold the parts of the keep where attack from 3 sides was possible. (also recruited a few celestial near the end and some crusaders mid way)

Also, this scenario seems it can be made or lost depending how accurate the mage's razorbirds are. If they are inaccurate with their charge attack it's relatively easy, but if they hit often or get lucky, then it becomes significantly harder, I think. I don't know how much of an issue that would be, but it may be something to consider.

Finally, for this scenario, are the dragon scouts meant to attack the refugees? I wouldn't change that if they are since it helps for some respite since they attack the elementals, but I'm wondering if that is meant to happen or not

pirates: not overly happy about orange being able to spam units like that, particularly magi which seem well out of place. Still beatable though if able to hack your way through spam and put a harbinger near him.

temple of the deep: very frustrating if your lacking flying/teleporting units I'd think, since there is very little margin for error as to getting across the chasm(s) otherwise. also, one of the zephyrs can be pinned turn 2 by the paladin and another loyal unit, because he flies off in the wrong direction preventing one of the runes being reached by him, when I successfully completed this scenario.

return to mainland?: no problems if you have units with slow, and the water spirit/ maybe another flyer in the wind spirit (djinn hopefully), and can wipe out most of the bats early.

therians: should the win condition include the therian leader actually staying alive?

valemoi ruins: same as before, is the vampire leader's survival meant to be a win condition also?

Once again great campaign so far. The only other difficulty I have is trying to recruit at least 2 of everything so as to train up units in every level path because of the sheer diversity.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Thank you for this feedback. To respond to your questions/comments
I would make it that hawken doesn't leave his post. He did not when I played but just making sure given his frailty and the presence of overgrowns/nailers
Already done.
I feel the victory conditions are very ambiguous here, what exactly does defend the city entail.
I might rephrase it. You can win one of two ways. You can either survive till the time is up or you can defeat one of the enemy leaders. I do not wish to tell the player how many leaders they must defeat to win. On one play through I used my pathfinder with the berserker curse to assassinate the therian leader bringing the level to an early finish. This felt a little cheep to me but quite valid.

The dragon scouts are meant to attack anyone. I'm not overly concerned about the razor birds.
pirates: not overly happy about orange being able to spam units like that, particularly magi which seem well out of place. Still beatable though if able to hack your way through spam and put a harbinger near him.
Actually it isn't orange specifically. The price of abandoning a boat is that your enemies greatly benefit from controlling villages. Though it is probably necessary to surrender a boat to them if you can manage to hold every boat your enemies won't be able to spam anything (except black). The mages are a reference to something; bonus points if you can figure out what.
very frustrating if your lacking flying/teleporting units I'd think, since there is very little margin for error as to getting across the chasm(s) otherwise. also, one of the zephyrs can be pinned turn 2 by the paladin and another loyal unit, because he flies off in the wrong direction preventing one of the runes being reached by him, when I successfully completed this scenario.
I am sincerely hoping that by this point in the campaign the player has a substantial amount of ariel power built up the gameplay for the rest of the campaign is based on it. This may sound like it would be a little harsh but if I don't base the gameplay on the players potential capabilities then the campaign would become easy. I will try to remember to fix the zephyr but that is one of those little details I've noticed before but keep forgetting to fix.
return to mainland?: no problems if you have units with slow, and the water spirit/ maybe another flyer in the wind spirit (djinn hopefully), and can wipe out most of the bats early.
This is an example of what I was talking about. I wanted an easy level however It would not make sense for the enemy to have anything less than a ridiculously huge army. Result, Air/Sea power makes it so that the fact that the enemy has a huge army is irrelevant.
therians: should the win condition include the therian leader actually staying alive?

valemoi ruins: same as before, is the vampire leader's survival meant to be a win condition also
In both cases I'm fine with the allied leader dieing. Though I'm thinking that I might boost the level of the vampire leader to give the player a chance to save him.
silent

Post by silent »

To respond, should've read through the thread first in regards to hawken.

Thanks for that in regards to the refugees, I suppose you could always make it defeat all enemy leaders and the spring the surprise victory condition when one dies, if that helps.

Pirates: The main reason I said that was due to the relatively inexpensive troops of orange, but I suppose that makes sense. Now I have to wonder about the magi though...

I actually had a few flying units at this point, for temple of the deep (2 djinns, 1 fire ghost, loyal seraph, 2 lantern archon, a few odd level 1's which can fly), I just thought though it was something to consider for temple of the deep, but fair enough.

return to mainland: yeah, I loved the elementals for this scenario, they are ridiculously great as level 3's.

for the last scenario though, while the therian leader may not be integral, I would say the vampire one was, given at the end alloria asks him to take her to his master, but it's rather stupid for her to say that if he's dead. I didn't quite noticed what black could recruit, but I noticed he recruited a number of gargoyles, before my scouts died, which seemed rather dumb given the drakes, and that fledgelings would help him more vs both drakes and saurians (higher damage output). this may be more helpful that changing his level, as being mobbed by level 2 saurians isn't going to help him much without support.
humanressource

Post by humanressource »

The mages are a reference to something; bonus points if you can figure out what.
hmmm. what might that be. :hmm: Cloak and Dagger? :roll:
For we are many!
larina

Post by larina »

support 1.8 or later?

somebody wishing…… :mrgreen:
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Hello

Not that hard once you get it, but the strategies have to be carefully considered to ensure victory. Once this is done
Spoiler:
, I ended up frequently at mid-game (turn 15/30 for instance). But I think it's fine, though there is a problem: the bonus for early victory is less than if you win later. For instance, I ended Valimoi ruins turn 13/30, and my income was 54 per turn. The bonus for early victory was 28 per turn, this has to be fixed.

Otherwise, I think this campaign is of an exceptional quality. I will report in a more detailed fashion later; but the overall philosophy of the game is very fine
Spoiler:
It lacks some Art and some text, but I am longing for the next scenario!

Regards
Regards,

GangrN
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Review of Each Episode:

An Encounter:
The terrain is well shaped and allows to use the difference of cover between snow and road to protect ones units. I completed in 11/30 turns with one recruitement (5 windsong), using Lisaundra as a defensive jaggernaut.
Edge: the terrain and the differences of cover between road and snow is a good help.
Difficulty: Stalkers. Kill all units before they get enough villages to recruit further.
Overall view: Tactical. Lisaundra-dependent. Hurry. Focus on the roads.

Swiftly South:
Completed in 18/20 turns, with two recruitement waves (8 windsong and 8 shards). This one is very luck dependent, unless I did not fully get it. The trick was to kill Captain Yeti first to allow a third recruiting, but maybe it's better to utterly ignore him? Viewing the replay I realize that I did not use the shards in the best way. Fortunately, the Hussards dispatched on the other side of the river; I believe it's an IA bug (due to the number of teleporters I used). Otherwise, I would have had to replay it entirely. Pretty difficult, in fact, but I was lucky.
Edge: did not find it
Difficulty: impossible to go south without killing Cpt Yeti imo.
Overall view: difficult. Didn't find the trick.

Broken Bridge:
Conpleted in 18/40.
Edge: Fly swiftly to Hawken.
Difficulty: Hawken is very exposed. He does not move from his spot so you cannot recruit.
Overall view: maybe requires much more shards. Luck-dependant to maintain Hawken alive. Difficult unless you find the good approach, which I obviously didn't.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Coulple notes here:

First I am not working on this at the moment, other things are keeping me busy.

Second of all, your feedback for scenarios 3/4 purely contradict my experiance in the manner which just goes to show that things dosn't work out the same for everyone. I have never bothered to kill Captain Yeti in swiftly south and only rarely could have. You can recruit near Hawken because there is a second keep and it is possible to get troops there before he is in serious danger.
GangrN

Post by GangrN »

Hey, you are not supposed to seem to be frowned. A report is made so that you can see if things get the way you expected. I thought you expected the game to be difficult, what is the problem if I tell you that it was and how it was, since you asked for it?
Second, I had to restart once because Hawken died at turn 5 per chance - yes it is a difficulty and an obvious one, I did not speak of a mistake. I did not see the trick on this one, but you can't expect people to always win the way you planned.

Third, I like your game and was about to offer help, but I am not sure of what to think about your last answer. Do as you please, maybe I'll play the next part, if it ever comes.

Regards
Regards,

GangrN