Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Re: the flame of warmth

Post by rhyging5 »

fabi wrote:Yes, a very serious request.
There is a huge forest in LoW meant to be burned down by Goblin Pillagers to smoke out the elves.
I already have working wml code for the fire to grow and spreading over the adjacent hexes.
If Jetrel gives his okay for the fire I would include it in mainline the day it is finished.

An old campaign that features a forest fire and is waiting to be revived is "Unrest in Elfland" by Elvish Pillager.
I am also sure that UMC authors would use the animation from time to time.

then, is enought interesting for me to work on this.......As I said before, I love to draw fire, perhaps because I am a little arsonist...
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

wow, this is amazing work...

fyi, rhyging5, cave walls works like chasm, and if you provide me the complete set of animations i'll gladly add them

zookeeper wrote:Looks good. I'm a bit unsure of whether these should be included as an alternative wall terrain, an overlay terrain or an item halo. :hmm:
as a matter of completeness, they could also be added as a random variation of the normal wall...

though in this case I think adding them as a new terrain would be the most easy.

if a hex has visible walls on both directions it would have two torches
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Boucman wrote: as a matter of completeness, they could also be added as a random variation of the normal wall...
Sometimes you might not want lighted caverns.
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

Gambit wrote:Sometimes you might not want lighted caverns.
Agreed. I feel these would be best as overlays, like the mainline windmill. But there may be some technical difficulties with that method that I'm not seeing. :hmm:
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Boucman wrote:as a matter of completeness,
I meant that this was another way to have it added, not the method I was recomanding

as for doing it as an overlay it depends what rhyging5 provides, but i'm not sure it would be usable on any other terrain anyway...
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

Yeah, new terrain type (well, variant) is probably the best choice, as it would offer the most flexibility for map creators.

It looks fantastic, btw, little things like this really add to the experience. I'm looking forward to seeing a burning forest overlay also. :)
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

ok, I improved the flame giving to it more iregularity. When jetrel gives his approval I provide the pngs to boucman for the implementation as a alternative wall, isn't it?
Attachments
newflame.gif
newflame.gif (22.84 KiB) Viewed 5840 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

sounds good
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Is the floor at the wall part of the same tile? If yes, It could be also lighted, though less than the wall near the torch.
Still the flame is excellent and very climatic.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

the floor tiles are separate. It is possible to do overlays as with the water/land and castle transitions or (most directly relevant) the light-beam. Now, I'm not sure what the technical limitations or art requirements would be for that- or (more to the point) if the people actually doing the work would find it to be worth it.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I really like the torch. Could an unlit torch be made available as well? It would be cool to see the torches become lit as the player moves through a dungeon in campaigns. Lit and unlit torches could also serve as hints for the player in complex, maze-like levels.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

mabeenot wrote:I really like the torch. Could an unlit torch be made available as well? It would be cool to see the torches become lit as the player moves through a dungeon in campaigns. Lit and unlit torches could also serve as hints for the player in complex, maze-like levels.
I like that idea.
Kleptomane

Post by Kleptomane »

Just wanted to say that I can't wait to use this. I can already think of some places I could use this to bring a map to life :)
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

hey guys!, I'm worked on fabi's request, a forest fire. Still I haven't nothing definitive, but advanced enough to talk about. I would like to know your impression about the fire, and how it may be implemented. I also have drawed the possibles ways it can moves. But is better that Fabi and rest of people explains how it could to work....
Attachments
fire-in-the-forest.gif
fire-in-the-forest.gif (162.15 KiB) Viewed 5330 times
Issyl

Post by Issyl »

That looks great, but currently it looks like only a few trees are on fire. It takes a blazing inferno to turn a forest down.