The old iPhone port thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

jdp

Re: The official iPhone port thread

Post by jdp »

Once the crashes are sorted out, the iphone app will be a fantastic game. I can handle all the crashing because I'm already hooked on Wesnoth, but I think it will put off a lot of potential users.

Making 'Delete auto Saves' the default setting rather than an option in the preferences might help, but I don't think this would be enough. It is sometimes very difficult to retstart even in the middle of a campaign. One way might be to only make it possible to have a very limited amount of saves.

I'm sure there will be a good solution to this sooner or later. I wish the developer the best of luck in finding it.

On another note, I found a mistake in 'Heir to the Throne'. No dwarves appear as recruits in 'The Lost General'.
KylePoole
iOS Port Maintainer

Post by KylePoole »

If you are having crashing problems due to low memory, try these steps:

1. Try the free Memory Sweep program to free as much memory as possible. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-s ... 54758?mt=8
2. Go in to preferences and turn off all music and sound
3. Delete most of the old saved games you no longer need
4. Save the game right before you are having the crashing problem
5. Restart the game and load that saved game

I am working on testing a complete playthrough of the South Guard campaign, and the upcoming fixes in Episode 3 does finally solve this problem!
jayce

Post by jayce »

KylePoole wrote:If you are having crashing problems due to low memory, try these steps:
1. Try the free Memory Sweep program to free as much memory as possible. http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/memory-s ... 54758?mt=8
Yeah ! I didn't see this app. It's a really must have ! :-)
Another tip to free memory : in Safari, open a new blank page and close all others...
KylePoole wrote:I am working on testing a complete playthrough of the South Guard campaign, and the upcoming fixes in Episode 3 does finally solve this problem!
And does they solve the problems in the "Invasion from the unknown" campaign ? Some scenarii are unplayable since, because of the number of units (I think) it crash a lot of time by turn.
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Another bug screenie. (Not sure if this is the right one tho, I took 2 screenies last night.)

Not only does Dark Hive and Hive not show up, but Chasm doesn't show up either. And when both of them look the same, like black holes, it makes it hard to play, especially in this IFtU mission where those annoying shadow creatures kept manifesting out of chasm tiles, and killing my weak units. Also, if you can't see where Chasm is, you can't really plan defensive lines well. A whole host of gameplay problems really.
Attachments
IMG_0191.png
IMG_0191.png (258.36 KiB) Viewed 3288 times
simply1

Post by simply1 »

Hope the bugs can be worked out, it's really unplayable for me and that's a shame.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

I was introduced to Wesnoth by buying the iPhone port a few days ago, and so far I'm loving it.

However, I'd like to point out a problem with viewing abilities and traits on a unit. As this only takes up one line in the status window, when a unit has many abilities or abilities with long names (such as a rogue or a white Mage), there isn't enough room and it becomes impossible to see all the traits.

Hopefully you can find a way to fix this.
mof-ia

Post by mof-ia »

no idea but i`ll try to figure out how to.
MCP

Post by MCP »

@Kaos, that's a problem when playing with Wesnoth on the computer as well, last I checked, both windows and mac don't word wrap abilities.
jayce

Post by jayce »

More playing, more bugs :
- In "Under the burning sun", when moving, the "Desert Horsemen" looks like Javelineer.
- When units are "speeking" and the speech is long, we can't see the end of the speech, it is cutted at the end. In "Under the burning sun" there is a lot of this kind of "long dialogs".
- When 2 healers (or more) are next to a unit, only one heal the unit. For example, I have a really wounded unit with only 10HP. With two +8 healers next to him he should gain 16HP on next turn, but the unit only have 18HP on the next turn... :-/ Little annoying...
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

3 is not a bug, it's a feature. The maximum a unit can be healed in a turn is 8 HP (10, if they also gain 2 HP from resting by not moving that turn) - in all versions.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
jayce

Post by jayce »

thespaceinvader wrote:3 is not a bug, it's a feature. The maximum a unit can be healed in a turn is 8 HP (10, if they also gain 2 HP from resting by not moving that turn) - in all versions.
Ah OK. Is this new ? I'm almost sure that I did it when playing on the Mac version (that was the 1.4 version).
--
Jayce Piel - MosX.org
jdp

Post by jdp »

In the iphone version of 'Invasion from the Unknown' I can't proceed to the next level in the 'Crossfire' scenario even though I kill all the enemy units. I repeated the scenario and the same thing happened. I've played this campaign a number of times on a MAC and had no problem.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Nope, it's been like that for as long as I can remember...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Kaos

Post by Kaos »

A few other small things:

When both a friendly unit and an enemy unit are spotted on a map with fog/shroud, the "units spotted" text goes off the edges of the screen.

There are references in both the loading hints and the help library to features that have been removed in the iPhone version, such as double tapping a unit and selecting unit info (this option doesn't exist) or selecting "show all enemy moves" from the menu (again, doesn't exist).

Nowhere is it possible to view the movement costs over various terrain for unit, even though the in-game text makes it seem like this should be possible. Same for "defense" percentages on various terrain.

If a menu or a tooltip goes over the status bar on the side of the screen, it remains there until the status bar is "refreshed", even if the rest of the tooltip has disappeared.

These are only small things, but for the game to stand against other games in the app store it needs to be a little more polished.
Since I haven't played the PC version, I don't know if any if these bugs have been carried over or of they're new in the iPhone port.

I'm really enjoying the game though. Kyle, you've done a fantastic job. Best $2.50 I've ever spent!
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

jayce wrote:
thespaceinvader wrote:3 is not a bug, it's a feature. The maximum a unit can be healed in a turn is 8 HP (10, if they also gain 2 HP from resting by not moving that turn) - in all versions.
Ah OK. Is this new ? I'm almost sure that I did it when playing on the Mac version (that was the 1.4 version).
I think healing was cumulative in some early version - 1.0 or so. But then also the healing of a healer was distributed to all surrounding units, so each got only some points of healing.
(Hmm, the changelog says something about healing changes in 0.4.8, but I know I started in 1.0.*. In 0.4.4 there was introduced a cap at 12 HP (for normal 8HP-healers, I think).)

Is there someone who remembers better?