The Earth's Gut for BfW 1.16

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: Campaign: Dwarven Kingdom (BfW1.7.x/1.8.x)

Post by Anonymissimus »

StandYourGround wrote:Will you mind if I make changes to unit names as I did with the healer line? I'm thinking of ideas for a more distinct naming convention for the advanced dwarf line then just Advanced Dwarvish Fighter, etc.
The current names were always meant as placeholders in lack of better ideas, so go ahead.

@the rewritings
What I've read so far is great.
The python-enchant thing to enable wmllint's spellcheck doesn't work for me, so I guess I'll just read through it and fix what I can find.

EDIT:
@StandYourGround, you have a spelling error in the second link which breaks it.

EDIT2:
Just out of curiosity, why have you changed almost all of the abbreviations to their long form, e.g.
that's why->that is why
don't->do not

EDIT3:
OK, I've worked in the rewritings with very few changes. It'll be in the next version.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Anonymissimus wrote:Just out of curiosity, why have you changed almost all of the abbreviations to their long form, e.g.
that's why->that is why
don't->do not
Usually done to make text appear a bit more formal. I imagine that was his reasoning.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Yeah, I did that to make it more formal. I drifted from the Scottish dwarf stereotype and went more for the more formal and proper sounding Tolkien dwarves (think Thorin from "The Hobbit"). I let the orcs keep their contractions, since they can't be bothered to speak formally. :mrgreen: I will definitely do some better spell checking, though I did intentionally use some British spellings since the original used British spelling in some places.

Okay, more rewriting to come later... by the way, if you use DropBox, I can set you up with a sharing folder so you can get my changes as I make them...

(fixed the link to the second scenario... I had a little fun with the orcs and dwarves insulting each other. Don't worry, it's PG.)
I will now resume lurking silently.
StandYourGround

*BUG*

"Lost" is currently unplayable. The undead swarms seem to spawn too soon, and I will either be forced to fight the whole turn limit away at a chokepoint, or try to rush my hero to the keep, leaving the ulf and (very weak) troll at the mercy of dread bats.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

I've noticed that the ai behaves differently on that scenario (1.6<->1.8 ) before. Please upload a start-of-scenario save so I can try. Meanwhile, simply hit :debug and create some trolls to help you (or so). :mrgreen:
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
StandYourGround

Here you go. By the way, I will most certainly try to get more rewrites done soon. For "Breakthrough", I thought it would be fun to make the Sea Monster more of a comic relief (ex. have it complain about the cheapness of using the slow attack to weaken it faster, or complaining about how rough it is to be the "obligatory monster"), but I'm not yet WML adept enough to try to make it speak the lines I wish to add at appropriate times. Maybe I could add in the lines as #comments, and you could code them in if you like them?

"Lost" save: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/963452/Rewrites/DK-Lost.gz
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

The reaccuring monster thing is a persiflage on UtbS, LoW and others:

"Monsters are said to be there, but is is all only legends..."
"The legends are true!" (Of course they are...)
So go ahead.

As for the first two scenarios, I didn't take your files, I've just copied the sentences to the right places since I want to read through them anyway.
You can add them as comments; I'll probably be able to figure out where they should be if something is at the wrong place.

EDIT:
There's an important thing you need to be aware of. Often dialog needs to be written in a specific way. E.g. Clarissa often says something, but only in case that she is still alive. If she is dead, the according message=... simply doesn't appear (but this doesn't break the scenario). The whole dialog (the reactions of the other characters) still has to make sense, then. This is a common method to avoid [if][have_unit]...conditions. See e.g. HttT Lost general at the end, the dwarf leader's speak.
The later scenarios have more of these situations and tend to be more complex in general. Unfortunately, I have no idea of a way to solve this problem that wouldn't require you to be able to interpret the wml...
projects (BfW 1.12):
StandYourGround

I have little trouble interpreting WML or any code for that matter, I just haven't mastered writing code. If I found enough snippets to do what I wanted, I could probably build campaigns by copy/paste, but I haven't yet been able to just write something like that from scratch. So yeah, I won't try to add code to your campaign, just rewrite dialogue and stuff.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

The ai really behaves differently in 1.8. Nothing had changed wml-wise in that scenario.

Right after the first recruitment turn I was already attacked by the flying undead, that has never happened before in that scenario. There are now additional turns until the flying undead come. For hard difficulty, this should be an interesting challenge, though.^^
I've managed the scenario nevertheless btw. It is probably the first underground replay that I've ever seen running till the end without errors - mostly.
Attachments
DK-Lost_replay.gz
(45.88 KiB) Downloaded 349 times
projects (BfW 1.12):
Bart

Post by Bart »

In scenario 15, Save the heir, the AI seems to move Konrad to the main square of your starting keep and then leave him there, which makes winning the game impossible without using debug mode.
And a not quite as bad problem: if the northwestern orcs are defeated, the allied elf team will send its army after the human castle, which makes it much harder to win.
Edit: I thought that happened, but I went through again and noticed that it probably doesn't, or at least didn't in my game.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Thanks for playing.
Well...it worked in 1.6 when I tried...that'll be difficult to fix probably
use :debug for now
Bart wrote:And a not quite as bad problem: if the northwestern orcs are defeated, the allied elf team will send its army after the human castle, which makes it much harder to win.
Edit: I thought that happened, but I went through again and noticed that it probably doesn't, or at least didn't in my game.
That should not happen, since the according ai is set up to avoid the complete area. Unless the (southwestern) enemy comes to it, it doesn't fight.
projects (BfW 1.12):
alex18

Post by alex18 »

Yes this happened to me too: the elves defeated the orcs and I put my troops in the forest south of the river, so I colud easily kill every human enemy approaching. The road to southeast was safe for Konrad, but he said something like "I'll start moving now", then he moves south for 2 turns but after that he returns in the main keep and stays there till the end of turns...
Wouldn't it be better to give the player the control of Konrad?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

The problem happens for me, too. It appears that the way the ai reacts to the goto settings has changed or there's an engine bug. Until that is fixed, you can type : to bring up the command line, and then
droid 5 off
That turns the ai for Konrad's side off so you can move him yourself. It is maybe a good idea to type
:droid 5 on
when the scenario has finished to reverse that.
alex18 wrote:Wouldn't it be better to give the player the control of Konrad?
Yes, but that's what the scenario is about. In all scenarios of type "move unit X to spot Y" that I've seen, the player controls the unit(s) to be moved, so I thought such a scenario would be interesting.

/edit
Yes, there's currently an engine bug that breaks this scenario and partly scenario #6. Until it's fixed, the player controls Konrad now so you can forget about the type <something> stuff from above.
http://gna.org/bugs/?15013
projects (BfW 1.12):
nemoyatpeace

Post by nemoyatpeace »

Nice campaign, like it a lot. Just played through on Easy. Was VERY easy, but I don't like to have to think very much. Might try it again on normal to see the differences. The version I had still had the error with Konrad just hanging out. I do like your idea of having him run to the spot himself and you just have to protect him though.

Looking forward to more!

The one bug I can think of is in the scenario "Under Pressure" while playing in easy. If you get all the way up to the wall you can attack the enemies while they are in the wall with a 100% chance to hit. Makes it much easier to kill them that way!
StandYourGround

Rewrites on the way! Here are some more:

04: Up the Mountain
05a: Blowing Snow
05b: Unknown Tunnels
06: The Great Gates

EDIT: By the way, I think it might be a good idea to rename the liches in the campaign, so their names don't begin with the "Mal" prefix. According to Wesnoth lore, that prefix belongs to an exclusive group of necromancer founded by Mal-Ravanal, and liches that bear that title are likely to be doing things far more diabolical than what the liches in your campaign often do. I wasn't going to rename them myself without permission, and I wouldn't want them to be called something you didn't like, so here are some random suggestions for names:

Jorek
Moran
Balel
Revyun
Fenthor
Do'Renth
Do'Revan
Ro'Khan

Also... I'm trying to playtest the edited cfgs I posted, and I got lots of errors about missing tags... I swear I didn't edit any tags.. maybe it's the way I tried inserting comments... I'm not sure what's going on