level 2's?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gargintua

level 2's?

Post by gargintua »

Yeh i started to play BoW a few day ago and im up to "Heir to the throne"

I always wandered how the pcs recalled so many level 2 n 3's but discovered you can recruit level 2's after being able to recruit knight's. I already a few lv 2n3's to recall but i want to recruit them.

So my question is how do you enable to recruit different classes in level 2's? :?:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: level 2's?

Post by Turuk »

The player cannot, in most scenarios, recruit level 2 and 3 units, but can only recall those units that they have leveled up to levels 2 or 3.

The computer is given level 2 and 3 units to recruit in later scenarios in order to allow the AI to more effectively battle the player's recalled units, which will be levels 2 and 3.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

You don't unfortunatly.

The AI is so incredibly stupid that they were given level 2 units to compensate.
gargintua

Post by gargintua »

oh i see. because i saw some posts about multiplayer being able to recruit level 2's or something.

thank you for the clarifying post :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

gargintua wrote:oh i see. because i saw some posts about multiplayer being able to recruit level 2's or something.

thank you for the clarifying post :)
Ah yes, in the Age of Heroes in multiplayer, you can recruit level 2 units, but that's a special era, and is not the default era used in the campaigns. Glad to help you out. :)
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

In default era multiplayer you can still only recruit level ones.

But the multiplayer addons give some extremely varied scenarios in which you can recruit level 2 +. There are some where you can even give your units different weapons and such. There are some where you can't recruit at all but you can upgrade your leader to the point that he is the equivilant of a level 30.
gargintua

Post by gargintua »

i think i might give multiplayer a shot sometime because I still havent tried it.

but yeh thanks for the quick posts :lol2:
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

You can also think of it like that the AI is also recalling units. We could add some random amount of XP to each recruited AI unit, to accentuate the feeling!
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Zarel wrote:You can also think of it like that the AI is also recalling units. We could add some random amount of XP to each recruited AI unit, to accentuate the feeling!
This is a great idea! Especially (I'm thinking of my fav campaigns NR and Sotbe) if the dialogue mentions "these are not regular soldiers but a bunch of hardened veterans.
Would that be worth a feature request?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

HomerJ wrote:This is a great idea! Especially (I'm thinking of my fav campaigns NR and Sotbe) if the dialogue mentions "these are not regular soldiers but a bunch of hardened veterans.
Would that be worth a feature request?
I would give it a go, if someone feels like coding it in, it could certainly add a bit of variety to what units you want to make sure to kill first.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I'd suggest capping the random experience at some percent of the unit's experience needed to level, or some fixed amount below the experience needed to level, so that an AI that was previously recruiting level 2 units doesn't recruit some level two units that are within a kill, or a kill and a couple skirmishes, of level 3.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Caphriel wrote:I'd suggest capping the random experience at some percent of the unit's experience needed to level, or some fixed amount below the experience needed to level, so that an AI that was previously recruiting level 2 units doesn't recruit some level two units that are within a kill, or a kill and a couple skirmishes, of level 3.
I doubt that this would matter much as long as the AI is not smart enough to give specific units kills, which it doesn't atm (1.6.5).

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Sure, but what if an enemy rolls up so close to leveling up that you can't kill it? And just because it doesn't intentionally feed kills to experienced units doesn't mean that it won't do it by accident.
Zarel

Post by Zarel »

Well, then, it adds more strategy to the game. I don't see why not.
Proud creator of the :whistle: smiley | I prefer the CC-0 license.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

I wasn't saying it's not a good idea, just that it will make the campaigns harder, and if the experience is entirely random, it could theoretically make them a lot harder. I was simply suggesting bounding the experience given in order to make it a predictable amount harder so it can be more easily balanced into the levels.