1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 1.0.4

Post by doofus-01 »

EDIT: This is now on the 1.8 server.

0.8.7 just went to the BfW 1.7 server. A couple of bugs in the world map are fixed, the world map has been extended to scenario "Snowblind", and two scenarios were added, though they need work. They are related to the new world map parts.

Please use the older topic for problems with the 1.6 version.

This campaign requires "Archaic Era" add-on.

(I'll update this first post with a summary and all that, but not now.)
EDIT: Here we go, a draft for Part 1. Bah, what was I thinking....
Last edited by doofus-01 on August 23rd, 2010, 1:03 pm, edited 24 times in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.7/1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.7

Post by doofus-01 »

I just uploaded 0.8.8. There are some small graphics updates, but the biggest change is that Part III should now work correctly after scenario Mount Tien. (And I fixed the web address in the splash screen so that it points to this topic...)
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.7/1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.8

Post by doofus-01 »

0.8.9 just went to the server. Most important change is that the bug with Mt. Tien not working in the world map is fixed.
docrock

Re: 1.7/1.8 SP Campaign: Bad Moon Rising 0.8.9

Post by docrock »

hi, in part 1, "Unbreakable", a ghost levelled to wraith will return as shadow when killed. intentional?

edit: for some reason completely unknown suddenly a levelling dialogue appears which lets me choose what the unit should become. strange. playing on BfW 1.7.6, default difficulty.

edit2: well, don't worry about it, must be some kind of engine bug. the last few times them ghosts passed away i had all three variants of behaviour: changing wraith to shadow, giving dialogue boxes, just restoring the unit as it was. this is kinda completely random me thinks.

edit3: now through with part1, grats, this is now much more cinemascopic and epic than the last time i played it (long ago). very good work. on BfW 1.7.6 i did not notice any bugs or flaws and "Payback" was as hard (run-for-it) as it was intended.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
docrock

Post by docrock »

finally through with part2, also very good and no real bugs found except for some dialogue especially in "New Home" that should only trigger if the character already appeared. if you wait until turn 14 with killing the lich you'll get very funny event- and dialogue firing.
about "Ruin": i think the turn limit is a bit tight. if you are very wesunlucky with the RNG and also don't have all civilians with the quick-trait it's impossible to do in 21 turns. maybe give the player 5 or 6 turns more imo.

edit: in part3 "Trouble with Elves" Lorentzon must move last into the trigger zone. maybe this could be changed that order does not matter. in "Mine Mouth" i get an unknown unit error for "Goblin Warrior", playing on BfW 1.7.6. replaced them with goblin spearmen in the cfg to be able to continue.
Last edited by docrock on October 14th, 2009, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks. I'll take a look at it.
docrock

Post by docrock »

part3 "The Pit - Revisited": this is also one of the scenarios where things can go very wrong turnwise. if you know what is to come and played it already everything is easy. you would send two dogs or so south to capture villages while concentrating the rest of available force to break the blue enemy as quickly as possible. as it is, the player knows not of these things and may be tempted to split forces in expectation of one enemy south and one north of the starting position, which is a bad choice here.
be as it may, i was pressing hard with high level units against blue and made good advance on him only to find out that green was not sending units further down than beyond the tunnel north of blue's position and had stockpiled it's units there (a lot of them) 10-12 hexes deep at the narrowing tunnel point which cost me a lot of time to hack and slay through. in the end it came down to needing 25-30 turns to defeat blue and another 50 (!) turns to get to green because his immense income allowed him to recruit each turn almost as many units as i could kill, which he promptly sent again to the narrow points of the tunnels and piled them up there. well, good AI behaviour on the one side, an almost impossible job for the player on the other. maybe up turns there or make green a little bit weaker income-wise i would say.
another thing, after "An Opportunity" i had much more than enough gold to bribe the orc at the mine entrance just to run into a skirmish and for reasons unknown get out of it with much less gold and not enough to bribe him anymore. so i had to carefully move around to not run into any skirmishes when returning to the copper mine. the player should not loose gold here on the way back or maybe get a second chance to fill up his purse imo.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

80 turns of hacking doesn't sound like much fun. I'll alter the map, or at least change the starting positions.
docrock wrote:another thing, after "An Opportunity" i had much more than enough gold to bribe the orc at the mine entrance just to run into a skirmish and for reasons unknown get out of it with much less gold and not enough to bribe him anymore. so i had to carefully move around to not run into any skirmishes when returning to the copper mine. the player should not loose gold here on the way back or maybe get a second chance to fill up his purse imo.
That was not intended, I will fix that.

Thanks.
docrock

Post by docrock »

more on part3:
-"Seeking Shelter": not much to do there actually, outrun the normal primevals, sacrifice units to Nemesis, move your leader
-"Snowblind": excellent and pretty hard scenario, i like it very much, triggering the yetis in moments so that they fight the primevals is just good fun
-"Heavens Gate": have you playtested this? did anybody ever achieve the objectives there? if yes, i would be very interested in how they did it. i am very ashamed to say so, but i had to heavily cheat to get through this one. i could not think of any way to win this under given circumstances. imo it's not too hard, it's just impossible - or did i overlook something obvious?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

docrock wrote:-"Seeking Shelter": not much to do there actually, outrun the normal primevals, sacrifice units to Nemesis, move your leader
Yeah, that one's kind of skeletal at the moment. The Mirror Pond scenario is as well.
docrock wrote:-"Heavens Gate": have you playtested this? did anybody ever achieve the objectives there? if yes, i would be very interested in how they did it. i am very ashamed to say so, but i had to heavily cheat to get through this one. i could not think of any way to win this under given circumstances. imo it's not too hard, it's just impossible - or did i overlook something obvious?
I did, but it was a long time ago and it wasn't with 1.7.x. I don't remember it being very difficult, but maybe I was lucky or maybe the scenario is too confusing. It will be a while before I make it to that scenario without cheating. May I ask for your start-of-scenario savefile?
docrock

Post by docrock »

May I ask for your start-of-scenario savefile?
see attachment

on "All Dreams Die I + II": very good finale, good story, bitter ending (i still like it a lot, not all stories end well for the heroes). just two things, in the first part it is very easy to help Belleros with Raenna by just blocking Athantas recruitment hexes on the tundra-castle. still somehow a nice twist which may even come in handy on hard difficulty. in the second part it is not really clear that Raenna should not use the sword on Echidna, evermore as it somehow goes as default attack (no wonder, mind the damage the darn thing does ...). maybe you should change the comment so it makes this more clear instead of the current one ("... comes at a prize, use wisely."), something like "this is a sword to kill gods, and only they are worthy to feel it's wrath". just my opinion of cause.
all in all, a great campaign that brought me hours over hours of gameplay without getting boring on the way.
Attachments
BMR3-Heavens_Gate.gz
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 1001 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

docrock wrote:see attachment
I was almost able to beat this from your save, but not quite. I'll add some dialogue to hint at what a winning strategy would be and I'll give the orc more gold.
docrock wrote:something like "this is a sword to kill gods, and only they are worthy to feel it's wrath". just my opinion of cause.
Yeah, it could be more clear. But at the same time, it's very close to some deus ex machina thing, so I have to be careful with the description. The penalty for attacking Echidna with it is more of a bug than anything else, I'll fix it so it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the reports.
Orakel

Post by Orakel »

the story ends good
destroy the machine and beat the last enemies with the sword (the cat can beat too) and the story ends good in an new land - the begin of part IV
catwhowalksbyhimself

Post by catwhowalksbyhimself »

The campaign appears to be unplayable, at least for me, on Wesnoth 1.7.7. Even selecting any of the parts from the campaign list gives the following error, then crashes the entire campaign list.

"text doesn't start on canvas"
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Ouch. It works fine for me on 1.7.6, but I haven't tried 1.7.7. I'll look into it. Thanks.
EDIT:
The problem is that placing text in the campaign description with a macro, like is done in a unit .cfg file for "special notes", is no longer supported. Replace the current add-ons/Bad_Moon_Rising/_main.cfg file with this and it should work again. I'll make an update this week.
Attachments
_main.cfg
(4.25 KiB) Downloaded 897 times