Books discussion

The place for chatting and discussing subjects unrelated to Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Thanatos

Re: What are you reading right now?

Post by Thanatos »

Bellerophon wrote:Finished reading Cell by Stephen King some days ago, now fully busy reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.
Congratulations for this great pick. Was a good read, as far as I can remember.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Bellerophon wrote:Finished reading Cell by Stephen King some days ago, now fully busy reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke.
Just wait until you get to the King. Uh, the King in the Clarke novel, that is.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Well, after I finished "Kiss, Kiss" I couldn't resist to read more Dahl first and postpone all other books already waiting 'til later. So I bought "Roald Dahl's Book Of Ghost Stories" and have to say that it is quite awesome. To be honest, I read the stories aloud to myself before I go to sleep, only one by one, to catch the atmossphere best and it is really fun. (I would read it to my kids if I had some, but so... :) )

Note that the fourteen stories Dahl chose for this little volume are only the very best Dahl could find. According to the preface, he read 749 (seven-hundred-forty-nine) ghost stories before, but most of them were actually not worth publishing at all. Of course one can argue about Dahl's sexism in the introduction, where he states, that women are not as good as man in any other artform than writing ghost stories, but I'd say he was just a man of his time and he would possibly think his statements over, if he'd had the chance to do so...
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Re-reading the contrived pseudo-intelectual drivel on the Jewish Response to Helenistic Ideas of Female Divinity I'm busy writing :cry: It's crap son.
I bore myself to tears.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Neil Gaiman "The Absolute Death".
Finally...
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Thanatos wrote:Neil Gaiman "The Absolute Death".
Finally...
Sounds like a cheery, optimistic book.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Aethaeryn wrote:
Thanatos wrote:Neil Gaiman "The Absolute Death".
Finally...
Sounds like a cheery, optimistic book.
It actually is. Give it a try. You'd be surprised... ;)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

What did you guys think of Enders Game? The library finally got it in for me, I just need to go pick it up.
Gena

Post by Gena »

For me im finishing off darren shan's saga and the demonata saga great books
Joram

Post by Joram »

Gambit wrote:What did you guys think of Enders Game? The library finally got it in for me, I just need to go pick it up.
There's a few comments back at the top of the 26th page. EDIT: Excuse me, the 23rd page.

I thought it an interesting book, but it's one of those books where it is easy to have philosophical disagreements with the author. Some of the abuse that his main characters went through (because it was "necessary"), I thought was excessive and unnecessary.

As far as the actual mechanics of the writing, I felt that the author made one particular plotline promise, then didn't fulfill it later;he implied that there was going to be a certain conflict, then there wasn't. It was a trifle disappointing, as that was left somewhat unresolved; other than that, I don't have complaints about Orsen Scott Card's writing.
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Joram wrote:I thought it an interesting book, but it's one of those books where it is easy to have philosophical disagreements with the author. Some of the abuse that his main characters went through (because it was "necessary"), I thought was excessive and unnecessary.
Err, I don't think that the book unequivocally supports the positions of the characters who said that the abuse was necessary.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Maybe not. But the impression that I was left with at the end was that the author regarded the whole process as necessary. Maybe I'm not remembering things accurately, but a certain conversation between two characters near the end left me with that idea (that one military officer, can't remember his name, and his friend).

But it's been a while, and I suppose that different people will come out of a book with different ideas about the author, so it's probably better to just ignore me. :)
The Fires of Pride 0.3, a heavily story based campaign.
On hold while I try and finish my book
Midnight_Carnival

Post by Midnight_Carnival »

Nothing.

I'm looking for an author, but I fogot his name...
He is a fantasy author, but not really mainstream Tolkein style stuff, writes fantasy which could be set in "the real world" kind of like Clive Barker without the over the top sex and gore.

Anyway, he wrote a book called Angel of Pain, and another one called The Werewolves of London. Problem is, I can't find him by typing in the titles on wikipedia as it doesn't know them and googling Angel of Pain... :oops:

Anyway, I want to read more of him to see if I like him or not.
...apparenly we can't go with it or something.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

I have never used this acronym on these forums. And I will never again.
-clears throat-

OMFG!!!!!!!!
I just reached the ending of Enders game. And I mean the ending where you find out why he chose the title. Not the ending with the new world and all that. That was so cruel... I haven't the words to describe how awesomely cruel the author is...
I heartily recommend this book to anyone who likes video games. :lol2:

Oh and midnight. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=werewolves+of+london+book
First hit is for amazon. I hope that's the book you're referring to.
Last edited by Gambit on October 24th, 2009, 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deusite
Translator

Post by Deusite »

Midnight_Carnival wrote:Nothing.
I'm looking for an author, but I fogot his name...
He is a fantasy author, but not really mainstream Tolkein style stuff, writes fantasy which could be set in "the real world" kind of like Clive Barker without the over the top sex and gore.
Brian Stableford; google is your friend. :wink:

edit: bleh, Gambit beat me to it.
AKA Marz
Two profiles are better than one
Latin Translator