New Campaign: The Stormblade

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

monochromatic

New Campaign: The Stormblade

Post by monochromatic »

Soliton wrote:Use version 1.6.2 or wait for 1.6.4 (should come out this weekend).
Thanks Soliton! After downloading 1.6.2, it worked :)

This campaign was originally named "By the Sword", but I decided to change it to "The Stormblade" because I felt it corresponded more to the heart of the campaign. It is set in the years YW 121-122, i.e. when the orcish civil war stops and before they march on Elensefar. The story revolves around Elvorfil, the son of Andulias (if you remember, one of the loyal fighters in LOW).
Spoiler:
I have the first nine scenarios roughly drawn out. They all need tweaking and balancing. All comments are welcome!
Last edited by monochromatic on July 8th, 2009, 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EvilEarl
Location: It's not like you will ever find me, so I won't take the effort to remember where I am.

Re: New Campaign: The Stormblade

Post by EvilEarl »

I'm about to try it out and I have to point out something,
when you release a campaign on the server, it is best to have the version number below 1.0.0 until everything in the storyline and scenarios are complete. For example, I have recently released my campaign, Insane Hermit. It has most of the scenarios working but I am still working on the epilogue and the ending for the last playable scenario. Because of this, I put the version number as 0.8.0 and I will increase the version number with each release of fixes and improvements.

I like the idea and I will start to play it soon, I'm just letting you know about how the version number works.
Current Project:
Insane Hermit
That second campaign will probably become a book instead, or a movie or a game or something. Sorry guys.
Huston

Post by Huston »

he is right. unless it is complete then it should not be markaed as version 1.0.0
it should be marked as anything below that.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

:oops: You're right. I'll change that once I post an updated version.
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

I ran out of time when i played the first scenario on normal, because there wasn't enough room. The trolls filled up the bottleneck in the middle, for nearly all the turns and there wasn't enough time to kill the leaders. the allies also charge and get themself killed in the water by the enemies. I think turns should be increased to ~35 and the baddies have ~175 gold. But although I didn't win, the level looks pretty good
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

WYRMY wrote:I ran out of time when i played the first scenario on normal, because there wasn't enough room. The trolls filled up the bottleneck in the middle, for nearly all the turns and there wasn't enough time to kill the leaders. the allies also charge and get themself killed in the water by the enemies. I think turns should be increased to ~35 and the baddies have ~175 gold. But although I didn't win, the level looks pretty good
Thanks for picking that up! Well, my system is that in each difficulty level, the enemy gold/income is the same. But the player and his allies will have reduced gold in higher diffculties. I played through the level, but I didn't find it too difficult. Or too easy. So I added 4 turns (now you have 32) so it won't be too easy. And decreased the enemy gold from 200 to 180.

Anyway, Version 0.9.1 is out! (Thanks EvilEarl for correcting me :) ) You can find it on the 1.6 server
Changes include...
New scenario (Into the Underworld)
Major bugfixes in "The Southern Tower"
And other smaller bugfixes throughout.
docrock

Post by docrock »

hi, been playing your current version on default difficulty on BfW 1.6.4. i am currently at "Intervention" and everything went smoothly so far. just ... "The eastern Valley" is by far more easy and promising than "Troll Mountain". at least if you side with the dwarfes. why? you can fight in the open whereas the other map just gives the trolls an insane advantage and you are going to loose much more units there. also, in the next scenario "Cutting Supplies" i think the dwarfes make for better cannonfodder than ogres. just my two cents of coz.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Got that. I think I will alter the troll scenario, reducing its difficulty, and may be make the eastern valley a bit harder. Currently, I don't have so much time, but I will get to it soon. :)
docrock

Post by docrock »

hmmm, about "Battle to the death", what do you think, how much gold should the player bring into this? and with which tactic should it be played? i got there with about 450 gold and tried the all-dwarfes approach with a very tight LoD right around the castle and also 4 healers in there. to no avail. got massacred badly in the first night.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

Finally, internet! :)

After playtesting most of the scenarios, I found many balance problems throughout the campaign. "Battle to the death" is esp. imbalanced, I probably need to tweak it a lot. I would think to battle through hordes of level 2 and 3 orcs and trolls, you would need probably around ~600 gold. The previous scenario was meant to build up your gold from the gold-eating "Intervention" scenario. A small, tight pack of veterans will do. Maybe I should a couple more turns? And as for "Battle to the Death", My strategy was to spam Elvish Fighters/Young Orges/Dwavish Fighters to crush the assassin's castle, and defend from there. But I think the northeastern orc's forces come in too early. I should probably do something like 200 starting gold, 40~50 income for him, and 300 starting income, 40~50 income for the boss. I have time now, and I will start to tweak them now.
KrokoNoir

Post by KrokoNoir »

Hello,

I must say that I am disappointed. The name was very promising, and it sounded that the campaign would revolve around a new artifact. However, currently it looks like a standard elf campaign, which is a bit boring.

Therefore, I suggest a big rework: instead of having the stormblade appear in a late scenario, make Elvorfil find the stormblade in an early scenario, e.g. scenario "Cutting supplies", where there would be a caravan guarded by the high level orcs carrying the stormblade.
Moreover, instead of having the stormblade being a standard fire sword, it should be more special. Here is my suggestion: the stormblade acts as a modifier to the melee attacks of its wielder, by adding 4 attacks. However, the storm is dangerous, and the wielder and all adjacent units (either allies or enemies) lose 6 HP and the end of each turn. If the wielder dies, then the stormblade is lying of the floor and can be taken by another unit. Finally, it can be only wielded by elves that normally wield swords. And of course, the stormblade wielder cannot drop it, the wielder must sustain the damage.

Using such a powerful but dangerous item would be an interesting tactical challenge...
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

I was thinking just that. I am (again) vastly revising the campaign, so there will be many changes (the biggest being much, much shorter). I think your idea is pretty interesting...I'll play with it and resubmit this campaign complete to the server when it's ready. This is my first try with creating a campaign after all.
maclag

Post by maclag »

Hello!
I've tried the campaign (1.6.4, campaign version 0.9.1, level "normal" -supposed to be the easiest one, but believe me: it's not easy!!).
Nice campaign so far! I've enjoyed it!

As said above, some scenarii are imbalanced. I've already found 2 ones (but not that sure for the second).

"Battle to the death":
It is unfeasible in the current state.
By slightly reducing the amount of money of the ennemies, it went from impossible to extremely tough (meaning: be ready to redo 3, 4, 5 times each turn because every single mistake will lead to a catastroph).
Anyway, I've finished this scenario with a pack of leveled dwarves, but unfortunately, I could not save all of the loyal elves. (Where to hide them during the battle?? The trolls and orcs can kill anyone in the second rank at night, just has to have a bit of luck).

So, after huge losses, back again against some elves. Fortunately, the previous scenarii give you opportunities to have leveled elves, so you miss your lost loyal units, but not that much.

Then come "The destruction of Wesmere".
As this point, totally unfeasible again: how to destroy the goblin keep without your precious loyal units?? Impossible in short term: the elves from south catch you first. Then the ghosts units from south east arrive. By the time you can start recruit, the elves from west have crossed the bridge, and you're totally surrounded. The end comes right next turn

I tried to redo this scenario 3 times by "cheating": I've artificially put back my loyal units.
This time, I could destroy the goblins at turn 3, same turn, the fastest of the south elves have already caught me.
You can't get rid of them: they're as fast or faster than your units. You have to destroy them? It's long and weakens your units. The west elves occupies the bridge, and I suffer heavy losses again without being able to see hope: undead arrive, and the only reason for south-west orcs not to join the slaughter is because of the west elves occupying the field...

I've tried a third solution: forget about the goblin keep and charge the zombies.
Very bad ideas: they are much too numerous and all the other ones can take their time to join...

Balance issue, or have I missed something important?

For the following scenarii, I can't tell... yet! :roll:
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

It's balance. I'm terrible at this stuff; it's not supposed to be that hard. :augh:

Just a view into future plans: In my spare time I was playing with a little story with Haldric III in a very small campaign (Note: Haldric III is bad in the story). Since my two campaigns happen around the same time, I plan to combine them in a MUCH easier and shorter campaign.
Spoiler:
The campaign is going under major reconstruction, so all suggestions will be taken into account :) . Anything that is imbalanced and stuff that you feel should be changed should be posted here as I am remaking the campaign. (Planning about 15 scenarios of Intermediate (say like Legend of Wesmere) difficulty.)
maclag

Post by maclag »

Hey! Don't be depressed!
I can't pass it doesn't mean it's too hard. Maybe it's just too hard for me to have passed it already, and I'm not very good ;)
One feedback is not enough to make a decision. Here is mine. Maybe some other people will say something different and then the problem comes from me and not the campaign.
(Anyway, for the moment, I think it's hard...).