New Wesnoth trailer

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ancestral
Inactive Developer

New Wesnoth trailer

Post by ancestral »

So, out of discussion about intros I realized the current Wesnoth trailer is a bit old and could use updating.

I want to keep the trailer to 1:30, so it's relatively short, but long enough to showcase enough stuff about the game.

Things I plan on including:
  • New music (clips from Northern Mountains, Journey's End and Casualties of War — hear it here)
  • New portraits and units
  • New gameplay with some of the new terrain we have
  • New campaigns and user-made content
So what would you like to see? Any scenarios, mainline or UMC you'd particularly like to see, in a 5 second spot? Any new unit graphics lately (like the new Drake icons) or portraits?

With some input hopefully I can get an outline/storyboard of how it will come together.

Thanks!
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: New Wesnoth trailer

Post by thespaceinvader »

Some parading of the best of the new animations wouldn't go amiss, particularly the Drake Warden, Nagas, Thug, Orcish Archer melee, Inferno Drake fire se... etc etc etc...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
jb
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by jb »

Here is a sample of a teaser I put together a year or two ago. It may give you some ideas.

teaser
My MP campaigns
Gobowars
The Altaz Mariners - with Bob the Mighty
Yoyobuae

Post by Yoyobuae »

A scene with Drake Gliders (new sprite) vs Gryphons (and maybe bats too). :D Over water if Glider doesn't fly while idling over land.
lotsofphil

Post by lotsofphil »

I think fire breathing drakes are a must, brand new animations and fire. Maybe an ulfserker attacking a dark adept (for the laugh) or another ulfserker (for the sheer number of attacks). For the game play "videos" think about running at accelerated speed. Try and showcase as many different terrains, races, units and attack types.
grrr

Post by grrr »

dont forget to show MP! perhaps the lobby, some epic 3v3 games wih 60+ units
To show the evolution of MP one could show the transition of map styles =) Take an old charge version, and make transition over to the newer versions of freelands. Same with clash/mori.

Edit: there was this video replay thread in the MP section, perhaps bits could be reused still?
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I hope you might include some images from the campaign Northern Rebirth, as it is a favorite of mine, and a bit unusual in that it has actual large battles as well as some unusually good dialog.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

Portraits most definitely.

I'm unfortunately not familiar with all of the portraits or portrait artists, but I know the extremely prolific kitty has put some amazing artwork into Wesnoth since that trailer. Her Elvish Sylph, Mermaid Enchantress, and Naga Fighter are excellent examples. Someone else will have to choose between the humans she's made, though; those are incredible. LordBob's Cavalier has to make an appearance too, being the winner of the portrait H&H thread, though any of his portraits of heavily armored units are amazing. TSI's dwarves (Lord? Dragonguard? Gryphon Rider? I don't know) and Valkier's skeletons (I prefer the Revenant right now, but the Draug is shaping up nicely) should make an appearance as well.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

How might we record game footage? Splicing game footage is a nice way to make the "meat" of these trailers.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Zachron wrote:How might we record game footage? Splicing game footage is a nice way to make the "meat" of these trailers.
I'm using Keynote '09 to do layout, including transitions and animation effects. I edited the audio using QuickTime Player and GarageBand, and likely scoring the audio and video together in any one or more of these applications. For screen recording, normally I'd rely on my copy of Snaps X Pro, but instead I'm using the brand new screen recording feature in QuickTime Player X in Snow Leopard instead.

I'm starting off with making the trailer in 1080 HD, though I can size it down should the blown up graphics appear poorly — but HD is the goal, anyhow.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

I'd recommend waiting a few weeks to do the footage capture, when 1.7 is more mature and closer to reaching 1.8. The release cycle from 1.6 to 1.8 is supposed to be shorter than the full year of the past few releases.

The trailer could be released as a Wesnoth 1.8 trailer.

If you want to include user-made content have a few seconds of something dramatically different than Wesnoth, such as Modern Combat.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Aethaeryn wrote:I'd recommend waiting a few weeks to do the footage capture, when 1.7 is more mature and closer to reaching 1.8. The release cycle from 1.6 to 1.8 is supposed to be shorter than the full year of the past few releases.

If you want to include user-made content have a few seconds of something dramatically different than Wesnoth, such as Modern Combat.
The idea is to document and save what I do so that it can easily be edited and updated as newer versions are released.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

ancestral wrote:
Aethaeryn wrote:I'd recommend waiting a few weeks to do the footage capture, when 1.7 is more mature and closer to reaching 1.8. The release cycle from 1.6 to 1.8 is supposed to be shorter than the full year of the past few releases.

The idea is to document and save what I do so that it can easily be edited and updated as newer versions are released.
You would need to make the video "open source"
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Calling all players!

I need replays. I can access replays.wesnoth.org but I thought I would ask for any suggestions as there's an overabundance to choose from.

Feel free to submit one. I want to get a variety of gameplay screens of different terrain and factions.
Aethaeryn wrote:You would need to make the video "open source"
That's fine.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

It's a work in progress, and there's still much content to add, but here's the first version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usL3jYKvAEo
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer