The Era of Myths 5.19.0

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wesfreak

Re: The Era of Myths e8: bug fixes

Post by wesfreak »

the devilings in ageless era are (in my opinion) balanced, and they managed to keep the lvl 0 concept (more or less). maybe you could use their version?
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Lol. I haven't changed the devlings at all. I got them from EoM. Then JW changed them. I never updated mine.
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

really? wow. i never knew that: you must have forgotten to update them. why were they changed if they were relatively balanced?
JW

Post by JW »

wesfreak wrote:really? wow. i never knew that: you must have forgotten to update them. why were they changed if they were relatively balanced?
If played right, in their old stats, Devlings were actually unbeatable.

To clarify, the skirmishing lvl 0s could village steal and create insane income to create a huge horde of units that couldn't be killed fast enough. And if the skirmishers couldn't cross the right land, then the fliers would be able to. They were the extreme version of lvl0 (horde) hoarding.
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

oh. hmm....
i remember there used to be a trait, greedy, which toughened up the deviling a little but also made it cost upkeep. maybe that way more devilings would cost gold, and that would help solve it.

or maybe you could nerf the sneak. i suggest taking away some fire resist so that they're easier pray for mages. or you could raise the cost a little for the lvl 0's. And the flyer should be a little more expensive, too.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

wesfreak wrote:oh. hmm....
i remember there used to be a trait, greedy, which toughened up the deviling a little but also made it cost upkeep. maybe that way more devilings would cost gold, and that would help solve it.
still lvl 0 has a different bonuses/penalties that being lvl 1, like zone of control and penalties for attacking/being killed giving more or less experience. The opponent fighting devlings apart of facing a ton of units cheaper without maintaing costs, will have problems in leveling its own units.

Now take into account, that the strong point from being "Free" increases even more when the map is bigger since it takes longer to reach the enemy castle (or steal his buildings) making it even harder to balance a faction.

Sad thing you cannot make the game "force" the castle hexes depending on the faction, that could have been a nice way to balance some factions (limiting the amount they can spawn per turn)
or maybe you could nerf the sneak. i suggest taking away some fire resist so that they're easier pray for mages. or you could raise the cost a little for the lvl 0's. And the flyer should be a little more expensive, too.
The problem with taking from fire resist is that not all factions have access to fire.

Northeners have the orc archer that is quite fragile against devlings
Kanglans doesn't have any fire at all
Drakes (no problem, but they will still do 3-3 fire damage anyway)
Undead (no fire)
Loyalist and rebels: they have mage, but it is very expensive and quite fragile, each mage had cost near 3 sneakers (it was 7 gold last time I played with devlings)...

Also, when the map is large enough, the "cost" starts to be irrelevant, after all once they have all the flyers they need, they can resort to spam the less "costly" devlings and still maintain economic advantage over the opponent.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
wesfreak

Post by wesfreak »

what if we took skirmisher away from the sneak? that would stop the impossible to stop them from grabbing villages thing.

or we could replace the sneak completely, maybe with a group of devilings that use needles as instead of swords.

or even just take it away without a replacement.

thoughts?
cerevox

Post by cerevox »

It seems to me that the goal is to make the devillings a sort of level 1/2 rather then 0 or 1. Would it be possible to set it so every 2nd or 3rd devillings has upkeep? Each devillings costing 1/2 of a gold in upkeep?(like zerglings from starcraft)

Perhaps all the devillings could be lvl0 but are too weak to kill anything without some boss devilling near them. If the boss had upkeep but not the front ling devillings you could have hordes of devillings and keep thier numbers in check by controlling the bosses upkeep.
If someone built more devillings then the bosses could manage they turn into pretty much free xp till thier numbers are cut down.
Menos

Post by Menos »

Hey, I've got a question. I saw in the wiki that the elementals have a "mystic puppet" unit, prepremoted version of living rock. Something similar for the wind spirit, I forgot it already. Now, I downloaded the era just now and checked the race in multiplayer and there wasn't a mystic puppet unit, or the wind one. I did update my add ons, didn't find any new updates.

So, is the wiki incorrect, are they not accessable, or am I missing something? :p

Thanks in advance.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

A custom version of the Elementals that doesn't require/depend-on EoM is used in The Silver Lands, if that's what you're wondering about.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Menos

Post by Menos »

Mmmmaybe?

I'll check it out, thanks.

I couldn't find the era you're referring to, might be on an older version or the dev build, Iunno. I'll find the wiki page I'm referring to.

http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Elementals

Mystic Puppet, Avatar, and Magic Servant are the units I'm referring to. They don't seem to be in my EoM.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Menos wrote:I couldn't find the era you're referring to, might be on an older version or the dev build, Iunno. I'll find the wiki page I'm referring to.
The Silver Lands is a campaign (my campaign), and it is indeed 1.7/1.8-only.

It has a modified version of the Magic Servant, but it does not have the puppet units.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Menos wrote:Hey, I've got a question. I saw in the wiki that the elementals have a "mystic puppet" unit, prepremoted version of living rock. Something similar for the wind spirit, I forgot it already. Now, I downloaded the era just now and checked the race in multiplayer and there wasn't a mystic puppet unit, or the wind one. I did update my add ons, didn't find any new updates.

So, is the wiki incorrect, are they not accessable, or am I missing something? :p

Thanks in advance.
There are several versions of elementals in different add-ons and campaigns. Nothing official, just user made content.
Menos

Post by Menos »

Aaaaaaah, I see, okay.

Thank you for putting up with me, and I'll be sure to check out the silver lands when 1.7/1.8 is out on the stable build. ;p
Drakefriend

Post by Drakefriend »

I think the Sire's/Methusalem's dress looks stupid and it seems to be a downfall from the noble (for example no amour, no shoes visible), and the devlings should be level 0 again!
After far too long an absence, I have returned.
According to the quiz 100% Silver Mage (85% Archmage, 75% Shyde, 67% Flameheart and Ancient Wose,58% Assassin, Troll Warrior and Berserker). And my top score is exactly how I see myself.