Improving My Game

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SillySod

Improving My Game

Post by SillySod »

Hi,

Wesnoth seems like fun, I've played some single player games and have started playing some multiplayer games. I feel like I've done well so far with three wins out of six multiplayer games.

At the moment I want to improve my game. I think I have a decent feel for general gameplay but I'm alot more unsteady when it comes to taking advantage of the day/night cycle. I'm sure there are plenty of other small or large improvements that I could make but as a rookie its hard for me to see what they are. I figured the best thing to do would be to offer a replay for people to critique.

The attatched replay is a two player hamlets game with random teams. I was lucky enough to get drakes and my opponent had a Gryphon heavy dwarf force which was initially scary but perhaps not the best opening strategy. I had some luck and I think I managed to avoid making any obvious mistakes but hopefully you veterans should find plenty to criticise :D

Teach me :eng:
Attachments
First_Replay.gz
Hamlets Replay
(39.03 KiB) Downloaded 188 times
Eskon

Re: Improving My Game

Post by Eskon »

I'm afraid the replay does not appear to be working... Did you reload the game because of disconnect by any chance?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

The replay is both corrupt and starts in the middle of the game.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
SillySod

Post by SillySod »

Yes... so it has to be a non-reloaded game then? Thats a shame cos I was proud of that game.

I'll try to get a replacement replay (where I dont make a cockup I can spot) sometime this week. Watch this space but dont hold your breath I guess :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You can find any replay you need on the replays server, assuming it was an online game.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:You can find any replay you need on the replays server, assuming it was an online game.
Yeah, it's equally corrupted and starts in the middle. There is one on there of the first 6 turns though.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SillySod

Post by SillySod »

Ok, how about this replay?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Turn 1: I do not see the point of the second merman on that map because it is generaly very easy to defend against mermen and they do not have a large area they can effect. Still this is a style choice and not inherantly wrong. I also generally avoid getting mages early on maps which force me to split my forces because they are not an effective defender if you need one.

Turn 4: Had your oppoent been smarter he could have trapped your mermen in the water with night oncoming by placing the skeloton archer in the water (despite the water you still would not have been able to kill it very easily) and he would then have no problem destroying the trapped merman. Stealing the village was a fair move for there wasn’t really anything he could do about it.

Turn 5: it probably would have been better to not go for the bat and run away. However luck balanced out you mistake.

Turn 7: generally not a good idea to attack a fully healed unit on a village unless you can reliably deal more than 8 points of damage to it.

Your opponent was not a very good player. Generally it is a very bad idea to assault undead at night. You got away with it this time, but most of the time (especially if your opponent is more skilled) it would have been suicide.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Velensk wrote: Your opponent was not a very good player. Generally it is a very bad idea to assault undead at night. You got away with it this time, but most of the time (especially if your opponent is more skilled) it would have been suicide.
I pretty much agree with Velensk's assessment. First mistake I noticed was the mage, unless you knew he was going to be undead. But if you knew he was going to be undead, then the mermen were a rather poor recruit. One, sure. Two? Probably not. Getting aggressive with the undead at night as a lawful faction is a formula for disaster if your opponent is even half-way decent.

Here are some things to improve on:
1) initial recruitment. In general, you want to put together a group of units that can work well together against pretty much any faction. Most good players usually recruit heavy on fighters early (for loyalists, spearmen and cavalry), then mix in support units based on what the opponent is showing you. You'd hate to throw away a bunch of gold on support units that may prove to be worthless vs what the opponent is showing.

2) Day-night cycle. Fight when you have the advantage. It's ok to fight at night if you have a significant numerical advantage, or have units that are resistant to enemy attack types. In general, though, try to manipulate the circumstances such that the majority of the battle will take place in your ToD.

3) Taking unnecessary risks. Attacking a 100% health adept in a village (60% dodge) as night approaches is simply unnecessary, and moves like that will cost you units vs good players. Make sure that you know why you're doing what you're doing before you do it, and try to think of how he might counter that move. Then weigh the two to see if it's worth doing.

Just some thoughts. On a positive note, you show a lot of promise as a beginner. :) Take care.

~donkey
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)