Era of Myths How to play

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Menos

Re: Era of Myths How to play

Post by Menos »

Yes, the changes I discussed have been made (and more, I got allot of playtesting from the EoM tourny that was going not to long ago). Devlings are very tricky, both to play with, play against. I won't say that they are balanced as they are, however I know that they can be beaten by someone who knows what they are doing, when playing against a devling player who knows what he is doing.
Yes, the changes I discussed have been made (and more, I got allot of playtesting from the EoM tourny that was going not to long ago). Devlings are very tricky, both to play with, play against. I won't say that they are balanced as they are, however I know that they can be beaten by someone who knows what they are doing, when playing against a devling player who knows what he is doing.
Ah, ok thanks. I wouldn't put it past me that I just didn't go about it right. :p

As a note, is there anywhere I can see a full changelog for era of myths? Just out of curiosity
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

It comes with one, open up your prefrences folder/wesnoth/data/campains/Era_of_Myths, there is a change log in there.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Menos

Post by Menos »

Ah, thanks, can't believe I didn't notice, I usually go poking through things by default.
KrisK

Post by KrisK »

vampires seem like a great faction but they have zero defense against ranged attacks, only two of their level one units have a ranged attack, and neither is that strong (not to mention that both units have little defense, making them difficult to use on the front lines.) if there is some way to get around this, if there is I would like to know about it.
fareley

Post by fareley »

i personally think vampires are too strong (at least in comparison with the warg)
getting lvl 1/lvl2 units that don't cost any gold each turn just is too unfair (a lucky vampire player may spawn a lot of blood hulks who all are obedient), they have a really good lvl 2 unit to recruit but other than therians they don't lack lvl 1 melee fighting power (those fledgelings are just too strong at night)
and your archer/mages might be a bit vulnerable but they are strong at ranged combat and don't forget to shield them with some fledgelings/lvl 0 units
use bats for quick village grabbing/stealing and gargoyles for attacking units that don't have special impact resistance
and usually you get +1/+2 units in comparison to your enemy since you get a chance that yours don't cost gold each turn (so definately more income)
to use your archer/mages at the front lines, attack at night (to deal enough damage) and kill that unit with 2/3 units and place a blood hulk/fledgeling on the empty tile (where the killed unit was standing) to protect your ranged units
KrisK

Post by KrisK »

fareley wrote:i personally think vampires are too strong (at least in comparison with the warg)
getting lvl 1/lvl2 units that don't cost any gold each turn just is too unfair (a lucky vampire player may spawn a lot of blood hulks who all are obedient)
true, but vamps are very lacking in defense (besides the hulk, but that can't retreat) and during the day scouts with ranged attacks (such as the falcon therian) will pick them off one by one, as strong as fledgelings are at night they cannot fight once the sun is out. the boosted income is a plus but losing all your units during they day makes it difficult to counterattack at night, and replacing units is expensive so your opponent will push you back further at day than you can gain at night

however, vamps are much to strong against the warg :twisted:
fareley

Post by fareley »

yes, i always try to beat an AI on freelands with the ai starting with 200 gold (everything else standart settings)
and with wargs against vampires the AI just keeps kicking my butt (every other matchup was more or less a piece of cake)
fog_of_gold

Post by fog_of_gold »

I'd like to add something to how to play Vampires:
Velensk wrote:[...]
-Fledgeling: Cheap, relativly hard hitting, with a backstabing drain attack that does less total damage than the sword even when backstabbing.
[...]
If they are strong, their fangs do as much damage as their sword while backstabing. Also, you mustn't forget that they've got drain which makes the attack 50% stronger.
-Blood Hulk: Big, Slow and mean, these things are effectivly living battering rams that can regenerate and get stronger by killing. Protect them well and try to bring their awesome firepower into effect (has a good amla).
Their AMLA may be much stronger than other's especially together with it's feeding, but it's still less than just level up into another unit. Only after some level ups, they gets more useful.
Vs Deviling: Have at least one hulk, and protect it well. Keeping your hulks allive and killing is key to this match-up. Don’t let them steal your villages if at all possible. Use your fangs and feeding to keep healing yourself in the fury of their onslaught.
Also, it's good to level a Fledgeling into a noble. It's easy to kill enemies so you'll have +1 bloodborn for free/turn. They'll do +50% damage because of leadership and are useful if they are intelligent needing only one kill and two attacks to level up. I think, it's clear, but still: Don't level into malborns because you can't use poison against devilings which makes them useless.