Blitzkrieg! (the value of speed in Wesnoth)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

donkey_noob_trash1

Re: Blitzkrieg! (the value of speed in Wesnoth)

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

Weldyn_Outlaw_blitz_(1).gz
(31.93 KiB) Downloaded 343 times
Successful (barely) win over Janitor (tied for 9th on ladder) on Weldyn. About 7 turns, but it was intense. Very well played by Janitor, and a lot of luck for me and my footpads.

P.S.
I would not recommend using crazy strategies such as the one presented here on any kind of regular basis

Edit: it does not include the final move. He attacked my footpad from 20, 20 and was killed in retal.
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
cobra

Post by cobra »

I sometimes use a blitzkrieg type attack, where as my units speed forward before the enemy is ready, and decimates them. While it sometimes does not work, I then have to pull back the survivors, and use a strong defense/offense, to counter to strike.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Well, I'll say straight up that my quick win was through my opponent's mistake. I went with a footpad-ulf rush on Freelands against a player that picked Drakes. As I commented at the end, even if he hadn't exposed his leader, I was still in a pretty good position.

Edit: Decided to post this here and not in BURS because of the quick win, although it's probably more of a BURS thing. Also fixed the filename.
Attachments
Footpad_Ulf.gz
(9.22 KiB) Downloaded 312 times
donkey_noob_trash1

Caphriel wrote:Well, I'll say straight up that my quick win was through my opponent's mistake. I went with a footpad-ulf rush on Freelands against a player that picked Drakes. As I commented at the end, even if he hadn't exposed his leader, I was still in a pretty good position.

Edit: Decided to post this here and not in BURS because of the quick win, although it's probably more of a BURS thing. Also fixed the filename.

:shock:

OMG!

*donkey pins a medal on Caphriel*

Replay of the week, for sure. Thank you for that. :D
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Wow, nice Footpad-Ulfserker blitz.

But it would be difficult to make it work without mistakes from your opponent. Logically it shouldn't work, since any Drake except for a Glider would be able to slaughter an Ulf and Footpads have a hard time doing substantial damage to the Impact-resistant Drakes. The Drake player would merely need to keep his villages and leader safe and eventually run down that BURS.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Pretty much. You'll notice I was switching to poachers at the end. Although my two footpads were doing pretty well against his burner and glider over on the left. That was his fault for attacking at night, though. The idea behind the ulf-footpad blitz is to trade the ulfs for good anti-footpad units or for villages very quickly, then transition to more standard HODOR tactics. If he hadn't exposed his leader, I'd have ulfed the glider and either the burner or augur (I can't remember if I'd have been able to reach the augur after killing the glider), and grabbed a couple villages.
donkey_noob_trash1

Caphriel wrote: You'll notice I was switching to poachers at the end.
Yah, I noticed that... but the game itself only lasted 6 turns. Anyways, I like the idea of ulfing village holders, then replacing with footpad or whatever.

The idea of an ulf-supported blitz still appeals to me. Further research will be needed :geek:
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Here we go again. This one started really well, then my inability to play HODOR (particularly my decision to attack the archer on the left) turned it downhill. It could have ended badly for me (although my calculations indicate that he was hemorrhaging gold, so once he lost those units, he's was probably sunk), but the enemy moved their leader into range of two ulfs again. The first one got lucky on a 30-ish CTK.
Attachments
Footpad_Ulf_2.gz
(15.77 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
donkey_noob_trash1

Caphriel wrote:Here we go again. This one started really well, then my inability to play HODOR (particularly my decision to attack the archer on the left) turned it downhill. It could have ended badly for me (although my calculations indicate that he was hemorrhaging gold, so once he lost those units, he's was probably sunk), but the enemy moved their leader into range of two ulfs again. The first one got lucky on a 30-ish CTK.
Awesome, awesome replay, Caph. For the first time we are getting to see just how effective mixing ulfs with village stealing, high-dodging footpads can be. Your opponent played into your hands perfectly, making the mistake of putting an archer in the village on the right, leaving it vulnerable to the ulf. The other scenario is not pretty either- giving up a village to a footpad as night is starting. Another thing that the opponent must consider is how much to involve his leader in the battle. With two ulfs around and fast-moving footpads that can trap the leader, you have to extremely cautious.

I think you were right about going after the archer on the left side. Not a great idea. In fact, several of your maneuvers I thought were unnecessary. You also got some poor luck on your attacks- fighters hitting several times on their ranged attacks, but you missing, etc. Although it can be tempting to use footpads heavily at night, I think that your best bet is to use them passively, or when you have a big statistical advantage. Melee vs melee on an archer at night is probably good, though only if the archer is in poor terrain. Leave them alone when they're in the trees. In my opinion, your footpads on the left could have been better used by rushing his villages. That would have opened up a lot more options, and overall would have sped up your process of dismantling his economy.

Again, a terrific replay. I am going to study it some more... 8)

~donkey
donkey_noob_trash1

A couple more replays...
Guderian_(1).gz
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 247 times
Ulf_charge_(1).gz
(15.51 KiB) Downloaded 250 times
Edit: In retrospect, very poor playing by opponents, but the fundamental ideas that these tactics were based on are solid, I think.
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Hornshark, Knalgans against Rebels. He committed leader suicide on turn five after letting me trap his leader. I made a mistake with my recruits, and a couple of other small mistakes.
Attachments
Hornshark_Blitz.gz
(9.54 KiB) Downloaded 243 times
donkey_noob_trash1

Caphriel wrote:Hornshark, Knalgans against Rebels. He committed leader suicide on turn five after letting me trap his leader. I made a mistake with my recruits, and a couple of other small mistakes.
:hmm:

Looked pretty good to me. It's kinda funny... sometimes you get so focused on economy, counter-recruiting, etc. that you forget the main objective- kill the enemy leader! Well done.
donkey_noob_trash1

*dusts off this replay archive*

Here is an amazing replay, provided courtesy of Rigor... basically, a spam of almost exclusively wolves. Rapid victory ensues...

Sabre_Wolf.gz
(16.5 KiB) Downloaded 218 times
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

topic suscribed :)

i watched the ulf / footie rp. it was REALLY badly played by ur opponent i must say here. but the idea was a good one.

if u post the link to the "article" ppl also get an introduction, donkey ;) ill do it myself this time so u dont have to bother for now. but else ud miss the trappings :mrgreen: .

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 2&start=90
Rigor

Post by Rigor »

i tried out caphriels strategy. omg this really works !!!!

but also died at a very early age (T8).

ill try to reproduce it against others who might be harder to beat.

game two, also died at a very early age (T8), this time at a larger map (fallenstar).

this looks like the über noob slapping tactics.
Attachments
Caph_strat.gz
(10.05 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
cap_strat2.gz
(10.54 KiB) Downloaded 210 times