Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SouthernOracle

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.12.0) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Post by SouthernOracle »

and some more..
Attachments
'Face Your Fate' revisions.txt
(2.36 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
'Bye & Behold' revisions.txt
(12.96 KiB) Downloaded 291 times
Cutscene #14a revisions.txt
(853 Bytes) Downloaded 305 times
Cutscene #14b revisions.txt
(6 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Merged all of them into trunk and the maintenance (1.6) branch, thanks.

Small thing from "Bye and Behold":

Code: Select all

{MSG_UNIT Elynia ( _ "Igor, your kinsmen are unlikely to recognize you as an ally alone anyway. So it matter's little, as I see it.")}
Shouldn't it be "matters little" instead? I assumed it was a typo, so right now the apostrophe is missing in SVN.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Yes, I think that was a remnant of my surgery. Sorry for that. Also, is there a way to boot directly to a scenario? That would help me clarify what's happening during the action. It seems like I've done it before, but I've since forgotten. Regardless, I'll go hunting around the forum.

Edit: Nevermind, I found the debug controls.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

:debug enables the debug-mode commands. There are two commands in 1.6/1.7 that should help you:
  • :n Next scenario - jumps to the next_scenario directly.
  • :cl Change level - jumps to a specific scenario. You may specify the scenario id. as a parameter, or just use :cl alone; in the latter case, a window will prompt you to pick the scenario from a list.
In IftU's case, in the :cl prompt window, you will find the cutscene scenarios and part of the final fight scenario at the bottom.

Some scenarios won't work properly unless you have the correct characters available, namely:
Spoiler:
I may fix this issue for the 1.7.x version in trunk (which will not be released soon, anyway).

Also note that the text for scenario 23B ("Welcome to the Lair") is split across several files:
  • /scenarios/23B_Welcome_to_the_Lair.cfg
  • /scenarios/23B_Welcome_to_the_Lair/ and its files
  • /scenarios/arenas/23B_01.cfg
  • /scenarios/arenas/23B_01/ and its files
It should be noted that this scenario works as two different scenarios as far as the engine is concerned, hence it has different entries in the :cl prompt.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

That's pretty handy. I had to see what the necromancer was talking about when he blacked the screen out. Shouldn't have to do it too often. Here's a few more for now.
Attachments
'Shadows of Time' revisions.txt
(6.15 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Cutscene #16 revisions.txt
(1.57 KiB) Downloaded 248 times
'Arrival Battalion' revisions.txt
(6.29 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Things might get a little slower from me this week. I'll post whatever I have finished.
Attachments
'Dawn Great War' revisions.txt
(5.94 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
'Armageddon' revisions.txt
(3.13 KiB) Downloaded 259 times
'Legend of Wesmere' revisions.txt
(7.19 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Merged everything except the last three ones; I'll do it later.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Almost there. Feels like I'm fighting a battle myself. :shock: Probably won't have anything til Tuesday.
Attachments
Cutscene #20 revisions.txt
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
'Under the Sands' revisions.txt
(13.61 KiB) Downloaded 290 times
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

What shall I do with the glyphs in the Gauntlet? Corrections, if needed, or pass them up?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

You can correct those. They won't get removed like the ones in The Library.

Merged the rest. Minor nitpicks follow:

In "Voices of the Armageddon", I did the following replacement:

{MSG_INNER ( _ "Yes, mwa ha ha. Come to my domain of darkness; wherever darkness is, I shall be to torment you. Be warned, Galas, you cannot escape my influence now.")}
-->

{MSG_INNER ( _ "Yes. Come to my domain of darkness; wherever darkness is, I shall be to torment you. Be warned, Galas, you cannot escape my influence now.")}
I don't really like the idea of Shadow Master laughing while connected to Galas' brain for some reason. I just wanted him to sound... suggestive.

In "Under the Sands":

{MSG_UNIT Elynia ( _ "(reading the scroll) 'Faeries are known for their "glamour", the ability to cast illusions to confuse their enemies, or even their victims. However, its power is limited to a simple visual illusion - other senses are not affected by it. Touch the glyph and use the spell stored within to enhance your power and acquire the ability to perform a complete metamorphosis rather than a mere illusion'.")}
You surrounded glamour with double quotes, which breaks the WML parser badly. I replaced them with single quotes for now, but maybe you have a different idea.

(Note: I believe there's an obscure way around that parser issue, such as escaping the double quotes with more double quotes, but I don't dare to try that, or confuse translators.)

(Note 2: I plan to eventually remove the glamour thingy from IftU and put it in AtS. Depending on the circumstances, I may keep the dialogue.)
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

The nitpicks are fine..I understand the "internal laugh" reasoning. The quotes around glamour are proper punctuation when single quotations are used.

i.e. "So then Sally said, 'I don't want your so-called "advice". I know how to operate on squirrels.' Tsk tsk, that girl won't listen to reason."

Obviously I'm reaching, but you get the idea - they alternate. I don't want to screw up the WML, so I suppose you could do the ** italic method for the word. No reason to get too complicated. Also thanks for the quick reply - was working on it as I typed..

Edit: 4 more.
Attachments
'The Heart' revisions.txt
(3.16 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
'Innuendo' revisions.txt
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
'Gauntlet' revisions.txt
(10.87 KiB) Downloaded 314 times
'Dark Hive' revisions.txt
(6.32 KiB) Downloaded 278 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

While writing AtS, I found a two plot holes that was were the size of a truck and that was were originated by IftU's epilogue.

Here's the new epilogue story text and dialogue so you can revise it. It's very short compared with the original.

I don't plan to make another release until the scenario text revisions are done (which appears to be going to happen sooner than I thought).
Attachments
IftU_new_epilogue.txt
Spoilers ahead! But it should be obvious already.
(6.85 KiB) Downloaded 331 times
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Just to clarify, then, I'll review this new epilogue and leave the other alone. Also a few of the smaller bits of episode 23.

Edit: What is your plan with Welcome Lair around the cut off log entry and the segmented entry 1405? Should I translate them into a glyph or leave them alone?
Attachments
'Frozen Hell' revisions.txt
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Cutscene #23Bx revisions.txt
(892 Bytes) Downloaded 300 times
Cutscene #23By revisions.txt
(706 Bytes) Downloaded 296 times
'chimera fight' revisions.txt
(2.68 KiB) Downloaded 294 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Merged all of them. Thanks a bunch, and keep up the good work, it's almost finished!

Regarding those "log entries"... I'm thinking of removing them or replacing them with something completely different, but if you can revise them, I may reuse the text in AtS (or just hide it in a better location in one of IftU's map).

Right after that, there's a section that begins with a commented line ("# FIXME: ...")... if you could fix the following glyph messages according to the original intention (which is hinted in the commented line - and you probably can guess what that... piece of text was supposed to be* anyway) it'd be very, very awesome.

Proper credit shall be given.

*intentionally worked my way around the correct name; perhaps I'll move it to a better, well-hidden place, but I'm definitively not going to remove it.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Alright, I believe everything is finished except the final "piece" of Welcome Lair. The episode is done but I won't post it until I figure out the last bit you just mentioned so that it is complete. If you need the revision without it, it can be posted straight away.

If there is any other story tidbits I forgot, let me know. They were scattered about at the end. :wink:
Attachments
'Broken Heart' revisions.txt
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
Arena 23B_01 revisions.txt
(464 Bytes) Downloaded 278 times
Arena 23B_01 battle revisions.txt
(6.68 KiB) Downloaded 297 times
New Epilogue revisions.txt
(4.83 KiB) Downloaded 266 times