Goblin Spam!

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cobra

Re: Goblin Spam!

Post by cobra »

Turuk wrote:
That is not goblin spam though, which is the point of this thread.
There were 70 units, 65 were goblins, 5 were grunts. Yeah, it was a goblin spam.
Thank you President Bush
Ask not what wesnoth can do for you, but what you can do for wesnoth.-cobra
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

I find goblins are probably the best level 0 unit, but I still doubt I'd use an all-goblin force if I wanted to win.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Ditto. WCs are usually somethign of a last-ditch effort for me, unless I can usefull hang them around until the enemy are damaged enoguh to plague. Goblins can actually be handy against quite a few enemies. However, bats are by far the best level 0 unit in terms of sheer usefulness. They're the level 0 I use most, after all.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

thespaceinvader wrote:Ditto. WCs are usually somethign of a last-ditch effort for me, unless I can usefull hang them around until the enemy are damaged enoguh to plague. Goblins can actually be handy against quite a few enemies. However, bats are by far the best level 0 unit in terms of sheer usefulness. They're the level 0 I use most, after all.
Forgot about bats. They'd probably be inferior to goblins, but the drain attack does a lot to compensate.
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

They're useful, not formidable in combat (though that drain attack can be a sod if the RNG is in your favour/against you, depending on perspective) - they're fast scouts, not combat units, and shouldn't be conflated as such.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:They're useful, not formidable in combat (though that drain attack can be a sod if the RNG is in your favour/against you, depending on perspective) - they're fast scouts, not combat units, and shouldn't be conflated as such.
Agreed, crappy from a combat standpoint, but certainly the level 0 I recruit more than any other.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Bats are also the most expensive L0 unit, at 13 gold. That's L1 territory, equivalent to the price of a Thief or Troll Whelp. They're useful enough to more than justify their price though.
Araja

Post by Araja »

You can't deny the power of 7 to 8 moves and uninhibited movement over all terrain, just for the LOS they're invaluable.

But then again, the goblin's ability to hold villages it not to be underestimated, nor is their disturbingly high attack power in the night.And of course if a goblin levels then the Impaler is as good as any other L1 unit out there, and better than some.
Mabuse

Post by Mabuse »

thespaceinvader wrote:
Mabuse wrote:i would not spam wc against mass gobbos ;)
Why not? It works. WCs are cheaper, can kill a goblin in 3 hits, and keep multiplying.
dunno. im no corpse builder probably - i never trained a wc in my entire wesnoth life (i think .... well, maybe in the starting days)
i would just stick with melee-skeletons, i cant imagine that goblins can do much against them

its very well possible that wc own goblins beside that (your test seem to verify that)
Last edited by Mabuse on July 28th, 2009, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best bet is your own, good Taste.
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

I guess you could make more effective use of your gold by filling up the income threshold with level 1s, then massing gobbos...
sayers

Post by sayers »

As has been touched on I think the best use of goblins and wcs is to hold villages. Empty villages are always tempting to take, even if they can only be held for a turn but there is a big difference when the village is occupied, even only by a level 0. Goblins are not bad fighters either, particularly against cavalry, which is often the kind of units threatening outlying villages, making them even more useful. And as someone said the lvl1 goblins strong indeed, one even has leadership!

I have to admit, I find plague a bit useless in multiplayer, I would almost always prefer the xp to the free corpse.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

i find plague good, even if it's just a threat. Having a corpse hanging around making the enemy worry about their wounded units a bit more is a good threat. I also like the multiplying army aspect. A WC or two can be a handy recruit if you have 8 gold spare and the battle line is relatively close by.
Elvish Scientist

Post by Elvish Scientist »

I do not often recruit goblin, even though I like to play northeners. Because you are chaotic you need to retreat at dawn, and for a goblin it is hard to get out of the way of your opponent. The neutral races don't have lvl0. Only when facing drakes I sometime recruit sometime a few goblins.