Why does the grunt have a cape?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Why does the grunt have a cape?

Post by thespaceinvader »

In the days of Wallace, I don't think they wore kilts at all.

And yeah, there were regional variations in tartan, but no specifically clan tartans, and there was no requirement to be of a particular clan to wear a given tartan, or vice versa.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

So I take it the MacGregors had their own tartan because they were so big they had their own region... Or did the few survivors come up with the tartan later? I think there might be some differences between when it came to general practice and when it came to individual practice. Maybe it is just mythology, or posthumus fabrication, but I thought there were tartans for clans that have been extinct for a bit longer than 200 years.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Tartan, as we know it today, is not thought to have existed in Scotland before the 16th century. By the late 16th century there are numerous references to striped or checkered plaids. It isn't until the late 17th or early 18th century that any kind uniformity in tartan is thought to have occurred.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I don't know to any great extent, to be honest. I'm not a historian, just a trivia-sponge ;)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Turuk wrote:I think everyone knows the functions of a cape, people were just curious why it was still wearing it into battle.

(That's my translation of Gambit-speak.)
Dude! I'm an adjective!
There go my dreams of sith-dom :augh:

It wasn't the function, or even why they wore them in battle. It was more about who was wearing them.
Normally capes are a sign of specialness.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Gambit wrote:It wasn't the function, or even why they wore them in battle. It was more about who was wearing them.
Normally capes are a sign of specialness.
Specialness how? Like in video games, the dashing hero always has a cape? :P

They are fairly normal.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
tvrtko

Post by tvrtko »

The cape IS special. It reminds the grunts of their mother's gentle voice: "Son, always try to kill as many as you can. That would make me proud. And don't worry if you get killed, it costed our leader only 12 gold to recruit you, he can easily find a substitute for you." *sob*
(I know I'm insane)
"Worms are better than me." - Homer Simpson
Araja

Post by Araja »

It would also remind them of the mother saying: "And the goblins are even cheaper to recruit than you were, so if anyone has to die, make sure it's them"
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

I have it! It originally started with them wearing red capes, because red capes are easier to mass-produce than red shirts.

....maybe. ;)
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
~ Matt. 16:26

My ST/SW fanfiction! :D
Araja

Post by Araja »

I still believe it keeps the weather off them and distinguishes clans.
Zachron

Post by Zachron »

I've actually seen applications of capes as an off-hand parry tool. A cape is pretty good to disarm an opponent with, but that's more of a fencing thing than a heavy sword fighting thing. The cape could also distort the visual profile of the grunt at a range or even in melee. None the less, even if all the applications were non-combat, it would do the warrior good to wear his universal cape/cloak/blanket at all times.
Project Battlescar: An rpg engine of my own design.
http://battlescar.wikispaces.com/
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Zachron wrote: I've actually seen applications of capes as an off-hand parry tool. A cape is pretty good to disarm an opponent with, but that's more of a fencing thing than a heavy sword fighting thing.
Indeed, Fabris writes extensively on using a heavier cape wrapped around the arm as a defense versus actively using a lighter cape to distract an opponent.
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Lots of units have capes actually.

Among Orcs, only the Grunt line and the Leader line have capes. Probably to show that they're the strongest, and mark their superiority over the half-Orcs like the archers and assassins, and the Goblins. It's just a gameplay-vs.-lore conflict that makes the Grunt cheaper than the half-Orc units, given that full-Orcs are supposedly rarer.

But among humans, the Outlaw/Fugitive, Ranger, Master Bowman, General/Grand Marshal, Javelineer, Paladin, Grand Knight, and Fencer line have capes. Most of them make sense in that they are level 3 units and therefore 'special', and the Fencer has a cape because he's a Fencer. Among the outlaws, it would just be a way for Outlaws/Fugitives to show their superiority over their Footpad minions.
But the Javelineer having a cape just doesn't make any sense given that it's just a level 2 who has no room left for improvement(OK, he is stronger than his fellow L2s, but still). The bronze armor he wears is also strange given that the other L2+ Loyalists wear iron/steel.

Among Elves, only the Lord/High Lord, Captain/Marshal and Champion have capes, so they're clearly a sign of leadership and merit.

Among Dwarves, only the Lord and Thunderguard/Dragonguard have capes. Probably a sign of strength/skill, given that the gun-users craft their own weapons.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

The Javelineer wears studded leather, not bronze.

And you're thinking too much about the capes, to be honest - you'll notice that few units who wear them in the sprites, wear them in the portrait as well. They're there to provide an easy tool for visually distinguishing between the levels of a unit in a lot of cases.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

thespaceinvader wrote:And you're thinking too much about the capes, to be honest - you'll notice that few units who wear them in the sprites, wear them in the portrait as well. They're there to provide an easy tool for visually distinguishing between the levels of a unit in a lot of cases.
Indeed, I doubt there was intense thought put into which units would wear a cape and for what reason.