How do I add a unit to the game?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

archmage101

How do I add a unit to the game?

Post by archmage101 »

I have version 1.6.4 if that helps, and I am running it under Linux.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: How do I add a unit to the game?

Post by Gambit »

Up at the top of the screen there is a row of links. Home Play Create Forums Support Project and Credits. You want to "add a unit to the game". First that unit you want to add must be made. Can't add nothing to something and end up with something more right? Right! So a synonym for "make a unit" would be "create a unit". Now lets head back to the links. Oh yes look. It says "Create". Open that in a new tab so you can keep reading my somewhat sarcastic response. Now about 1/4 of the way down you should see "What can I create and how?" This presents you with a list. Oh my look at that! It says units! I dunno, but that just might be what you're looking for. :)

Welcome to the Forums :)
After you've made your unit you'll need to make a faction for it. And an era to put that faction in. Then you'll be able to play with it. It sounds daunting but stick with it. It's worth it to learn WML.

If you find you like making things for the game then the following links will make your life easier:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/Create
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/ReferenceWML (note the column at the right)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/UnitTypeWML (this will be especially helpful when making a unit)
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

Welcome! :D It's great that you want to add to this awesome game; I hope you succeed. ^^
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
~ Matt. 16:26

My ST/SW fanfiction! :D
KKSlider

Post by KKSlider »

Welcome here!
Gambit already gave you the info you (hopefully) needed, so all that is left for me to do is to welcome you again. :D
"I love humanity, but I just can't stand people"

Current project(s): Campaign - An Ordinary Adventure
Sono Italiano, se servono traduzioni contattatemi (con calma, e in fila indiana XD).
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Welcome to the forums. If you had not noticed by Gambit's response, we do sometimes deal heavily in sarcasm here.

Good luck in making units.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Technically, you don't add units; you recruit units.

Right-click on an empty castle hex near your leader. A menu will appear. Select "recruit."
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Helmet wrote:Technically, you don't add units; you recruit units.

Right-click on an empty castle hex near your leader. A menu will appear. Select "recruit."

He's talking about creating a unit with WML, not recruiting.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Turuk wrote:He's talking about creating a unit with WML, not recruiting.
Are you sure? After all, it's his first post, and he didn't post his question in WML Workshop.
Author of:
DIY Campaign, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 1, Confederacy of Swamp Creatures: Big Battle 2, Frogfolk Delivery Service, The Pool of Ek.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Given that it is his first post he wouldn't know what WML is yet. Hence him not putting it in the WML workshop.
Can't find him in any replays though...
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Helmet wrote:Are you sure? After all, it's his first post, and he didn't post his question in WML Workshop.
Because he is the first person to not post a thread in the right forum
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Helmet wrote:
Turuk wrote:He's talking about creating a unit with WML, not recruiting.
Are you sure? After all, it's his first post, and he didn't post his question in WML Workshop.
I'm having my doubts about this as well…
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

I'm thinking he wanted to know how to recruit.

If he meant what you guys think he meant, he would have written, "How do I add a new unit to the game." But he didn't; he didn't use the word "new."
Author of:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Here's an idea. Why don't you wait for him to post back and see what it was.
Helmet

Post by Helmet »

Turuk wrote:Here's an idea. Why don't you wait for him to post back and see what it was.
At this point, I don't think archmage101's opinion about what he meant to say has any relevance in the matter.

I'm certain he meant to say what I say he meant to say, whether or not he meant to say it.

:P
Author of:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Helmet wrote:At this point, I don't think archmage101's opinion about what he meant to say has any relevance in the matter.

I'm certain he meant to say what I say he meant to say, whether or not he meant to say it.
Oh I see, so this way you can be right regardless. Bully for you.