Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SouthernOracle

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.12.0) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Post by SouthernOracle »

Question for you: Is shaxthal capitalized or not? I've seen it both ways.

Edit: I'm assuming from your forum posts that it's capped. ALSO I hope you haven't applied the storytext yet. I've found some tense errors that I am correcting. My brain must have shut down in places, that was tricky business. Sorry for the inconvenience.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Rrrrraugh having story told by journal really skews with perception... It could be present for Galas, but as he has written it, it's in the past - plus the narrator is telling the story..

I'm better now..new version of Part I should be spot on - if it isn't I'll eat a ship's anchor :annoyed:

Plus various other tidbits..
Attachments
'storytxt' revisions Part I.txt
(16.48 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
'Moon Valley' revisions.txt
(1.87 KiB) Downloaded 254 times
'Goliath' revisions.txt
(1.46 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
'Errand of Hope' revisions.txt
(5.88 KiB) Downloaded 273 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SouthernOracle wrote:I'm assuming from your forum posts that it's capped.
Random ancient civilization message wrote:The Biomechanicals, or 'Shaxthals', which in our ancient tongue meant 'invincibles'.
Not sure if it qualifies for proper noun this way? As with all unit type names in the English locale, strings like "Shaxthal Assault Drone" are capitalized on their own, but I do not really expect a random guy to say "and then, Shaxthal Assault Drones attacked us"; it'd be like saying "and then, the Elvish Archers rained sharp death on our kinsmen"; the capitalization is excessive and inappropriate in that context, AFAIK, since "Elvish Archer" is not a proper noun.

What I mean is, perhaps "Shaxthal" can be used in IftU as a proper noun and latter become such a common word that it becomes a common noun in AtS?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

That's what I was thinking, too. Plus it's more ominous this way.. :twisted:

and finally blah - an exhausted, proofread Part II..
Attachments
Part II 'storytxt' revisions.txt
(23.16 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Applied them all in SVN to trunk and the 1.6 branch.

I'd advise you do not touch the glyphs (no pun intended) in scenario 9 "The Library", though. I am going to remove or replace them.

A few nitpickings:

There was a line in scenario 6 "The Moon Valley" which I had to change as I was applying your revisions:
{MSG_UNIT (Mal Keshar) ( _ "A millennium or two ago, the people then living near here believed the end of the world had come. Rocks fell from the sky, which was dark for many days thereafter. There were earthquakes and other signs. When the sun returned, there being at that time only one, they found a vast smoking crater here; and that night there was blood on the face of the Greater Moon.")}
>>>>
{MSG_UNIT (Mal Keshar) ( _ "Many millennia ago, the people then living near here believed the end of the world had come. Rocks fell from the sky, which was dark for many days thereafter. There were earthquakes and other signs. When the sun returned, there being at that time only one, they found a vast smoking crater here; and that night there was blood on the face of the Greater Moon.")}
With the former "a millenium or two ago" phrase, and the next line from Mal Keshar, I was assuming that there was no time set for DiD, and that its events could have taken place shortly before the Fall.

Now I know that they occurred before Konrad the First's times, and therefore I defined the event Mal Keshar is talking about here to occur an uncertain amount of milleniums before the current time (which is an undefined amount of milleniums after the Fall).
story= _ "My anger towards the mastermind of this evil scheme only intensified as we went further down, heading for the Halls of the Damned."
>>>>
story= _ "My anger towards the mastermind of this evil scheme only intensified as we went further down, heading for the very home of Uria."
Your version (and mine, before this change) is slightly out of context after the reestructuring of the Gauntlet and Interim scenario, which created the Dark Hive and Frozen Hell scenarios. I decided to change the phrasing here to reflect the current structure better.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
alextit

Post by alextit »

j'adore trop bien mais a partir de la fin du 1 tout est en anglais :( :(

or j'ai que 12 ans et je parle pas tres bien anglais donc j'ai pas trop suivis l'histoire et si je puis me permettre le 3 vas se faire ??
sorry I use a no translator
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

alextit wrote:j'adore trop bien mais a partir de la fin du 1 tout est en anglais :( :(

or j'ai que 12 ans et je parle pas tres bien anglais donc j'ai pas trop suivis l'histoire et si je puis me permettre le 3 vas se faire ??
Please read this.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Max

Post by Max »

can't really blame him - he's just been told otherwise^^
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26182
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Max2008 wrote:can't really blame him - he's just been told otherwise^^
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=26182
True, in his own thread because no one could understand his question, but posting elsewhere in the forum in a language not shared by all serves little purpose.

He has since been informed of that though in another thread.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Not much to update, but I'll post anyway. Any thread that had 'glyph' I left alone. If you replace them or don't, I'd be happy to go back over it - no corrections have been made. I should get a few more done by the end of the week. Not much to say about the nitpicks - you know the history better than I. I do my best to be consistent within the scenario, but my Wesnoth lore is lacking..sounds good to me. Also, were the race descriptions the last thing to look at?
Attachments
'Library' revisions.txt
(4.31 KiB) Downloaded 267 times
alextit

Post by alextit »

sorry but when I have write the message you had no again said it to me ^^
:? :?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SouthernOracle wrote:Also, were the race descriptions the last thing to look at?
I think so... they are in /units anyway.

Also, before continuing, to keep the scenarios' text as consistent as possible, you may want to do a check pass over scenarios/cutscenes/08x.cfg, which contains the dialogue for the cutscene in King Asthorgar's court.

(I'm also sending you a separate PM concerning an issue I should have addressed long ago.)
Sardonic

Post by Sardonic »

EDIT: Ahh never mind, just great. Anyhow, great campaign, keep up the great work!!
Last edited by Sardonic on July 12th, 2009, 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Thanks for the cutscene alert, I would have overlooked that. Best to do it now while I'm in that area. These took awhile to do for the amount of dialogue, otherwise I would have done more. Also, I've flipped some dialogue order around in 'New Knalga' where Anlinde wants to go it alone. I believe it works better - nothing major. Relevant cutscenes are next.

Edit: While skimming Errand of Hope, I noticed I missed Althurin's line at the bottom. Please correct with additional attachment.
{MSG_UNIT Anlindë ( _ "I think that would be a discussion for a better moment, when we have finished our new job here.")}
{MSG_UNIT Galas ( _ "Very well.")}
{SCROLL_TO $x1 $y1}
[objectives]
side=1
summary= _ "New objectives:"
{OBJECTIVE_TO_WIN ( _ "Defeat all enemy leaders")}
{OBJECTIVE_TO_LOSE ( _ "Death of Galas")}
{OBJECTIVE_TO_LOSE ( _ "Death of Anlindë")}
{OBJECTIVE_TO_LOSE ( _ "Death of Mal Keshar")}
{OBJECTIVE_TO_LOSE ( _ "Turns run out")}
[/objectives]
{VARIABLE temp_tcx 0}
[event]
name=new turn
first_time_only=no
[if]
{VARIABLE_NUM_EQUALS temp_tcx 4}
[have_unit]
id=Althurin
[/have_unit]
[then]
{MSG_UNIT Althurin ( _ "Friend elves, I must report to this news to the king. Please stand fast, I shall be back with you soon.")}
Attachments
Althurin.txt
(146 Bytes) Downloaded 322 times
'Source of Light' revisions.txt
(32.18 KiB) Downloaded 283 times
'Strike NK' revisions.txt
(12.04 KiB) Downloaded 280 times
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Burp.
Attachments