Build your own faction

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Tmoiy

Build your own faction

Post by Tmoiy »

Here's a little exercise I've been thinking about: design the best possible faction of six units taken from default multiplayer, with their current costs. "Best" here is when pitted against the six default factions. I'm interested to see how units are valued outside of their usual environment, or if strange things like all-ranged teams are competitive. As always, my apologies if something like this has been posted before.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Build your own faction

Post by zookeeper »

I think you're looking for this. You can pick whatever you want for one side, and only default era factions for others.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

zookeeper wrote:I think you're looking for this. You can pick whatever you want for one side, and only default era factions for others.
Yes, while this sounds interesting, in Pick Your Recruit are you limited to only 6 units, because that's the basis of the OP's exercice; pic only 6 units…
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kalajel wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I think you're looking for this. You can pick whatever you want for one side, and only default era factions for others.
Yes, while this sounds interesting, in Pick Your Recruit are you limited to only 6 units, because that's the basis of the OP's exercice; pic only 6 units…
Well, that's true, but it would be trivial to circumvent that because you can choose to pick fewer units than allowed.

In any case the PYR era would be easy to modify to also contain the default factions and to only let the sides which choose the custom faction to pick their units.
Tmoiy

Post by Tmoiy »

That's even better than I was looking for - I hadn't expected more than some theoretical debate. Now I can actually test the concept out in practice. Very cool era, zookeeper. I would still like to see more of other people's favorite builds for the era, though.
Lizard

Post by Lizard »

Not actually for PYR, but a quite similar "pick 5 units".

I always get a Saurian Augur :P when playing PYR, usually a Orcish Grunt and then some ranged unit plus a scout. When I have still gold left i get a lawful fighter or, depending on the ranger, a lawful mixed fighter.
~ I'll heal you by 4 hp if you post next to me ~
Have a look at the Era of Strife, featuring Eltireans, Eventide, Minotaurs, Saurians and Triththa