Give Vampire Bats a randomly-generated name!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Darkaros

Re: Give Vampire Bats a randomly-generated name!

Post by Darkaros »

I think the novelty of naming non-sentient (or, at least, non-intelligent) units is lost when your reduced to random name generating a unit like a skeleton as "Skeletor". Come on, if we name the WCs, we'd have to name EVERY undead unit out of fairness. :P
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Someone needs to brush up on their sarcasm...

That being said, I agree with you Dark, even if you don't realize it.
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Skrim wrote:The bats in Wesnoth can't speak, that's for sure. In TRoW and NR, bats get a few lines, and all they say is "Neep! Neep!". I've seen bats in reality, and I'm sure I never heard one say anything like that.

So maybe, if Gryphons get names they can pronounce, bats should be named "Neep".
In the Ooze Minicampaign they say "eek" (or was it "shriek"; I don't quite remember…)

Araja wrote:
Eskon wrote:Lolbat.
Cun I haz Humanzburga?
I iz in ur bellfry, watchin' u sleep. :lol2:
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I think that if bats would get names, then since they are not sentient beings, the names should reflect what a necromancer would call them, not what they can pronounce.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Araja

Post by Araja »

Another solid point from Pentarctagon.

It's true, we rarely name our cats and dogs names they can pronounce do we?

But all of this is for a dark mage's pet, and what this thread is in essence is names for all those meaningless little guys you recruit in every match, so maybe we've become a little lost... :hmm:
Darkaros

Post by Darkaros »

Gambit wrote:Someone needs to brush up on their sarcasm...

That being said, I agree with you Dark, even if you don't realize it.
Oh come on, it's difficult to distinguish sarcasm without tone of voice. :roll: I said that to someone else a while ago, too, ironically.
Guo-Jia

Post by Guo-Jia »

Giving bats names sounds a pretty neat idea, I think it would fit to the game, at least it would yield an endless flow of in-game jokes :wink:

And although sometimes when playing official campaingns it seems like every necromancer in Wesnoth is simultaneously attacking your party, I don't think they are employed with world conquest all the time... magic is supposed to require lots of studies, even if it's necromancy... Ravanal didn't get to become an archlich in one day, now did he? I'm certain he spent lots of time studying old necromancy classics like "Necronomicon", and I'm even more certain that he grew fond of his bats during that time.

And when it comes to names, I'd like to have one called "Trollsbane" :lol2: :lol2:
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

Guo-Jia wrote: I'm certain he spent lots of time studying old necromancy classics like "Necronomicon", and I'm even more certain that he grew fond of his bats during that time.
This "old classic" is an invention of the 20th century.
But I guess Lovecraft would be flattered by all the people who think of it as an ancient reality. ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

either that or insulted that no one can tell the difference.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

If you look at wesnoth's maps, they dont look like real world at all - clearly it will take a couple of hundred million years for our rl continents to drift that way, and by then (during the time of most of the campaigns), nekronomikon _will_ be an old classic!
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Syntax: I always thought wesnoth was another planet.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Skrim

Post by Skrim »

Wesnoth is on another planet, called Irdya.
Mordocai
Code Contributor

Post by Mordocai »

This is slightly off subject... but since it's kind've become a necromancer comments thread...

I was thinking it would be cool to make a longer undead campaign than Descent into Darkness, where a mage starts to fear death and turns to necromancy to become immortal. He could start out with walking corpses, and then defeat other necromancers to either force them to tell him their secrets(perhaps raise their spirits as ghosts right after their deaths or something?) or steal their "tomes of necromancy" or some such thing. Anyways, i'm bringing this up because i thought he should have a guide of some sort... though i was thinking maybe the spirit of a long dead necromancer or something... but a bat named Dracula would be oddly fitting.. lol
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Syntax_Error wrote:If you look at wesnoth's maps, they dont look like real world at all - clearly it will take a couple of hundred million years for our rl continents to drift that way, and by then (during the time of most of the campaigns), nekronomikon _will_ be an old classic!
A common problem of any fantasy world. Lets face it we only have experience of our own planet, and we can only guess at how the landmasses were originally, and how they floated apart. We know they did, and we can start to assemble them roughy. To apply that to another world would take up a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to just draw a map, so people actually have a rough idea of where they are.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Kalajel

Post by Kalajel »

Cloud wrote:A common problem of any fantasy world. Lets face it we only have experience of our own planet, and we can only guess at how the landmasses were originally, and how they floated apart. We know they did, and we can start to assemble them roughy. To apply that to another world would take up a lot of time and effort. It's much easier to just draw a map, so people actually have a rough idea of where they are.
Or they could try one of these methods.

I tried to find a pdf I once downloaded about worldbuilding, but to no avail… :( However, the ressources this quick google search came up with are useful nontheless…