Blitzkrieg! (the value of speed in Wesnoth)

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

manored

Re: Blitzkrieg! (the value of speed in Wesnoth)

Post by manored »

appleide wrote:I've tried recruiting more fast units after reading this thread, and the speed does provide alot more flexibility so I can quickly overwhelm a position and then pullback. I haven't tried this against really good players yet, though.

When my opponents manage to form a single front quickly and attack towards my keep, however, I have a some what harder time fending them off, because my units are weaker as they're scouts. I can only try to sneak troops around and capture his villages.... But its hard to do against drakes, and I have lost a game because of this. (incidentally against tiboloid too)
I think its not even worth trying it against drakes, unless you are drakes too... then the situation gets weird :)
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

hm, what would happen if both opponents tried to blitzkrieg each other?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
Eskon

Post by Eskon »

It would probably default to a regular game, with both sides equal in power because they both blew their money on scouts :D
manored

Post by manored »

Eskon wrote:It would probably default to a regular game, with both sides equal in power because they both blew their money on scouts :D
Maybe they would notice they are both doing the same thing too late and dart by each other, turning the game into a... leaders versus scouts? :)
donkey_noob_trash1

Post by donkey_noob_trash1 »

As promised, here is another example of the orc blitz (I like orcs). It's on Hornshark. Unfortunately, it was an orc mirror, but oh well. I call it a blitz, because of the aggressive tone of play I had in this game, and the emphasis I put on speed early on in the game. Unfortunately, the opponent leaves around turn 10, after things begin to go badly and the outlook is bleak. The next 6-7 turns was me finishing the job vs the AI. Hope you enjoy nonetheless...
orc_blitz_Hornshark.gz
(18.31 KiB) Downloaded 264 times
~donkey
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
donkey_noob_trash1

Your favorite donkey is back, with another orc blitz replay... this time from Silverhead. One nice thing about the orc blitz is that the timing usually works out well. In this case, I had my guys engaging the drakes (who bravely stood their ground) by evening. The night was brutal to him. I believe he left about about turn 6, declaring "gg". That is the essence of "blitzkrieg." Quick, decisive victory. As always, questions/ comments are welcome...
Orc_blitz_Silverhead.gz
(12.76 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
"Oh noes, I'm trapped by corporeal beings!" -Caphriel (in a discussion about ghosts and ZoC)
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

When are you on the server? And what name? I'd like to play against the blitz, even tho I haven't seen the replays. I'm not very good, but I like defending so maybe it'll be fun xD.
donkey_noob_trash1

Jozrael wrote:When are you on the server? And what name? I'd like to play against the blitz, even tho I haven't seen the replays. I'm not very good, but I like defending so maybe it'll be fun xD.
8) So yah, I usually play as "donkey," as a shortened version of my old donkey_noob_trash account. Sometimes I also play as Schneller_Heinz. But recently, I've been going with donkey.

Anyways, another replay for you all. You probably won't be all that impressed with the quality of play from the opponent, but nevertheless, here it is...
Knalgan_blitz_Freelands.gz
(20.57 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
As always, may the HODOR be with you...

~donkey
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

holy
Spoiler:
i think I played you a while ago as Schneller_Heinz. can't remember where or when, but the name really sounds familiar.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
donkey_noob_trash1

Here is another replay- this one from Isar's cross. It is another orc blitz. I love orcs. :)
orc_blitz_Isar's.gz
(12.7 KiB) Downloaded 249 times
:eng:

Good game was declared on turn 6, and both opponents left. I think it was basically over on turn 5, when I had all but 1 of the opponent's villages and killed his axeman. He didn't have enough guys to fight me, and he couldn't get any new ones.

Also, on a side note, I would like to see other players' examples of blitzkrieg/ maneuver warfare. Really, any game where speed was your key to victory. Please post them here! :D
appleide

Post by appleide »

I still find it impossible to use against a good drake player. :( Against other races, provided I'm not knalgans, works fine. I have no replay I want to post right now. (you can find some in the 1v1 replay archive thread, though.)
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
donkey_noob_trash1

Loyalist_blitz_Basilisk.gz
(20.98 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Another Loyalist replay. This one on Basilisk. I randomed into it. Opponent chose undead.
Caves_of_Bas_blitz.gz
(14.39 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
Yet another orc blitz... this time on Caves of the Basilisk.

Enjoy!
donkey_noob_trash1

You're probably tired of seeing orc blitz's... nevertheless...
orc_blitz_silverhead_(2).gz
(12.44 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
orc_blitz_bas(2).gz
(20.33 KiB) Downloaded 232 times
Also, my most recent ladder victory (by turn 6)
donkey_vs_And_(1).gz
(9.67 KiB) Downloaded 239 times
I would really like to see other replays posted here... download yours, or if you think you've seen a game that fits the bill, feel free to post it here as well.

May the HODOR be with you... 8)
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Donkey, did you notice the RNG hate on those? :lol2: Apparently it just loathes anything non-standard.
donkey_noob_trash1

I am posting a replay of someone else's game (Rigor). Orc blitz over rebels on Howling Ghost Badlands.

Qualifying characteristics:
1) Heavy recruit of wolves.
2) Highly aggressive play.
3) Village stealing.
4) Leader blocking and poisoning, as well as keep stealing.
5) "gg" declared on turn7, after only about 3 turns of fighting.
2p_-_Howling_Ghost_Badlands_Turn_7.gz
(33.42 KiB) Downloaded 244 times
:eng:
Enjoy!