Rebellion During the Dark Age

Review and rate user-made single and multiplayer campaigns and scenarios.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Stedevil

Re: Rebellion During the Dark Age

Post by Stedevil »

1) It's a good start.

2) The choice of troops to start with was an very nice twist and I presume will increase the replay ability a fair bit. First time around though not knowing which races and troops you could chose your 4 guards from made the choices a bit awkward. Also, maybe as you click the text line to select the unit, perhaps the starts and image for that unit could be show in the box on the right?

3) Keeping all your loyal troops alive in the first 2 scenarios was a bit hard (playing on hard), but not impossible.

4 & 6)

All the rest. By fight 3 you have way way too many Loyal troops, which brings with it huge amounts of money savings and constant 500+. You really need to cut down on the number of Loyal units. At the start of Search for Allies I have king +11 loyal units, all lvl 3+, and 700+ gold, at which point the game becomes too boring to continue. Perhaps only the 4 original guards, Haldar and possibly the silvermage should be loyal at all?

Also, perhaps you should switch to "add 40% of current gold to next minimum", which I think tends to be more balanced.

Also, the list of traits for your guards is over the top. Loyal is by far the best trait of the game, and piling on another 3-5 other traits on the same units is just too much IMO.

And oh, crossing the river, with that many villages, and with no turnlimit... People could easily walk away with 5000gold after that mission. I think you really need to severely reduce the amount of villages there or make it a "no gold carried over" mission (put in eg a story twist that an overpowered enemy comes up from behind and steals your baggage train with all your gold before you manage to bring it across the river).

7) 1.6 (1.3.7 of your campaign) on Ubuntu 8.10

8) There is a signpost(I presume) at the start of the Swamp mission that you should reach, but it's all covered in black when it's "shown" at the start of the game.

I would also suggest adding "bronze rings" (similar to silver and gold crowns) to the Loyal troops (check out the Dead Water campaign for what I mean, it's quite handy).
Huston

Post by Huston »

first off let me say congrats on keeping all 5 loyal units you get between scenarios 1 and 3 alive. i've only been able to do it once. and i wrote it. i was not expecting most people to be able to keep their starting loyals alive for that long. as for the shroud covering the signpost in scenario 5 is a mistake i will see about unshrouding it. i will probably get rid of the loyal trait on most of the elves too. that way it will be balanced better.

thanks for the feedback.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
jbumbaugh

Post by jbumbaugh »

Huston,

I'm enjoying your campaign (version 1.3.6, I believe), but having reached "Searching for Allies", I'm also experiencing Wesnoth hanging so often that is impossible to make any progress through the scenario. I'm hoping it's something you can fix, so that I can continue.

Defeating the General at the crossing was pretty easy, because you can just play a war of attrition by blocking the 1 hex bottleneck with a few strong units and a healer to support them (I had three Ladies and an Elfish Shyde by that time). Maybe if you limit the turns to 40, with a few less villages north of the river, then there is more of an incentive to pull the end run sooner.

Keep up the good work.
Huston

Post by Huston »

i'll see what i can do about the search for allies being slow. i'm not exactly sure what could cause it to be slow though.

NOTE TO ALL: Do not update from 1.3.6 to 1.3.7 if you are in the middle of the campaign. or else you will have to start over.(if you already updated it while you were in the middle of the campaign and don't want to restart pm me and i'll tell you what to change in the save file to make the save work. If someone would rather have me fix the problem in my campaign directly i can do it, but it would be a messy patch.)

Thanks for the feedback. once i get all the current kinks worked out i'll probably end up adding a small branch off in one of the scenarios(not telling wich one)
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Blues

Unable to start game

Post by Blues »

Running Wesnoth 1.6.3
I tired removing and re-installing this addon.

Code: Select all

20090627 08:07:01 error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/dragonstatue.png'
20090627 08:07:07 error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/mage.png'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'SOUND_LIST:HUMAN_MALE_DIE'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Dan_Tonk.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Weldyn.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/weldyn_great_hall.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Haldar's_Camp.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Dungeons.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Haldar's_Camp.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Into_the_Swamps.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/Swamp_of_Dread.map'
20090627 08:08:06 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/March_Down_The_River.map'
20090627 08:08:07 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/The_Ford_of_Abez.map'
20090627 08:08:07 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/The_Gray_Woods.map'
20090627 08:08:07 error config: File not found 'campaigns/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/maps/The_Elvish_Council.map'
20090627 08:08:07 error general: An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :
'border_size' should be '1' when 'usage = map'

When reporting the bug please include the following error message :
Condition 'border_size_ == 1' failed at /var/tmp/portage/games-strategy/wesnoth-1.6.3/work
/wesnoth-1.6.3/src/map.cpp:181 in function 'read'.
Huston

Post by Huston »

thank you for the report. currently there is something either wrong with my campaign or wesnoth 1.6.3
i posted in the wml workshop to see if anyone could figure out which had nthe problem. the campaign runs on wesnoth 1.6, 1.6.1, and 1.6.2 currently.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Blues

No cigar

Post by Blues »

Out of curiosity I tried it with SVN version. Error is different this time.

Code: Select all

Battle for Wesnoth v1.7.0+svn (36421)
Started on Sat Jun 27 13:59:15 2009

Data directory: /usr/local/share/wesnoth
User configuration directory: /home/saul/.wesnoth1.7

Checking video mode: 1680x1050x32...
setting mode to 1680x1050x32
20090627 13:59:22 error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/add-ons/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/mage.png'
20090627 13:59:24 error display: could not open image 'userdata/data/add-ons/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/dragonstatue.png'
20090627 13:59:24 error gui/draw: Image: formula returned name 'userdata/data/add-ons/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/dragonstatue.png'not found and won't be drawn.
20090627 13:59:24 error gui/draw: Image: formula returned name 'userdata/data/add-ons/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/dragonstatue.png'not found and won't be drawn.
20090627 13:59:25 error gui/draw: Image: formula returned name 'userdata/data/add-ons/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/dragonstatue.png'not found and won't be drawn.
20090627 13:59:25 error gui/draw: Image: formula returned name 'userdata/data/add-ons/Rebellion_During_the_Dark_Age/images/mage.png'not found and won't be drawn.
20090627 13:59:28 error general: An error due to possibly invalid WML occurred
The error message is :
A map without a header is not supported

When reporting the bug please include the following error message :
Condition '!(header_offset == std::string::npos || comma_offset < header_offset)' failed at map.cpp:163 in function 'read'.
Huston

Post by Huston »

ok. thank you very much for the info blues.
i'll do my best to sort this out.
hopefully it is something with my campaign and not the engine. as for the 1.7 version. i figured that would happen because if i'm not mistaken they changed the name of the userdata folder to add-ons when they released 1.7
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Blues

Post by Blues »

Huston wrote:i figured that would happen because if i'm not mistaken they changed the name of the userdata folder to add-ons when they released 1.7
Not really, I fixed the paths in _main.cfg, naturally.
Blues

Post by Blues »

Now playing on 1.6.2
Some minor errors I've found so far.

These images do not exist:
units/humans/human-commander+female.png
units/humans/human-commander+female-defend.png
story/landscape-plain.png (there is story/landscape-plain.jpg instead)

Note: POSIX.1-2001 defines the "Portable Filename Character Set" as the following 65 characters:
. - _ a-z A-Z 0-9
Having that '+' in filenames is not a critical problem, though.

Two images in humans directory have uppercase extension, thus causing error 'not found':
human-king-leading.PNG
human-king-attack-w1.PNG

Having good time, thank you. :)
Huston

Post by Huston »

well thanks to soliton my campaign is now playable on wesnoth 1.6.3 up to wesnoth 1.7.1
the error was due to a stupid mistake with my map data path that was previously getting ignored but wesnoth 1.6.3 and wesnoth 1.7.1 weren't ignoring.
i will see about fixing the latest problems you reported in my next update blues.
thanks for all the reports

the most current version of the campaign is version 1.4.2
i'll release a bug fix within the next day or so hopefully fixing the minor errors you last posted
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
Huston

Post by Huston »

i have rolled out Campaign version 1.4.5 on both the stable and developement versions

just for the record:

Yes you should notice that the campaign is no longer 27.7 Megs big.
In order to hear a lot of the music now you will have to download the LTD Music add-on.
Currently working on:
Era of the Future
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

im playing on the latest version of the campaign, on wesnoth 1.6, and on the first scenario when i try to select who i want to be, it stops responding

edit: im defragging my computer right now though, so that might be causing the problem
ill stop playing wesnoth til its done
Last edited by CountPenguin on July 8th, 2009, 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Huston

Post by Huston »

what OS are you playing on count?

windows, ubuntu, fedora, red hat, mandriva, MacOS X?
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

windows vista
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!