1.16 Campaign: A Rough Life - version 1.2.9

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kelben

Re: RELEASE: 1.6 Campaign: A Rough Life - ver 1.0.2

Post by Kelben »

Okay, I am sorry then. I have to admit I do not pay so much attention to the dialogs... still playing in the office that's why :oops:
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ah, well the dialogue in this campaign often contains important cues and hints relevant to what happens in a scenario, so you might want to at least skim it.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

thanks for the tip. it certainly makes the scenario much easier :oops:

now im on "The Shadowlands" and i found a bug. i upgraded Jacques (to a sand ranger), and then he upgraded to a battle commander, but the text saying why he did appeared twice, and he flashed (the upgrading unit flash) three times
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
melinath

Post by melinath »

Bug: After I defeated the (villager?) leader in the first scenario, I tried to recruit units to see if I could. Wesnoth closed. Incidentally, it does so whether or not Jacques is on a keep.
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

I finished it now and I really enjoyed it. I like the endings, even though they don't resolve as nicely as other campaigns.

I did find one bug though: At one point (sorry, I forget which scenario, but I think it's the one that you get to if you choose to stay with Kyoko), Kyoko is both at the beginning of the scenario and in the recall list. Make sure you recall her, and don't make a whole new Kyoko. Also I found that when you first made Kyoko you marked her name as translatable. I would suggest that you don't do this, because then to people playing in different languages, the lakes that spell her name in the big cave scenario won't make sense.
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

CountPenguin and melinath, thank you both for your comments!
CountPenguin wrote:now im on "The Shadowlands" and i found a bug. i upgraded Jacques (to a sand ranger), and then he upgraded to a battle commander, but the text saying why he did appeared twice, and he flashed (the upgrading unit flash) three times
I'm familiar with this bug but don't know what exactly causes it or what would fix it. This post in the WML workshop forum addresses it in more detail and I'm still waiting for tips on how to fix it.
melinath wrote:Bug: After I defeated the (villager?) leader in the first scenario, I tried to recruit units to see if I could. Wesnoth closed. Incidentally, it does so whether or not Jacques is on a keep.
Hmm, thanks for letting me know. I don't know what causes it, will try to duplicate it when I can revisit BfW in the coming days. This is the simple bit of the code that I use to prevent him from being able to recruit:
Spoiler:
If something has changed in WML that makes this wrong, I'd be grateful to hear.
CountPenguin wrote:I finished it now and I really enjoyed it. I like the endings, even though they don't resolve as nicely as other campaigns.

I did find one bug though: At one point (sorry, I forget which scenario, but I think it's the one that you get to if you choose to stay with Kyoko), Kyoko is both at the beginning of the scenario and in the recall list. Make sure you recall her, and don't make a whole new Kyoko. Also I found that when you first made Kyoko you marked her name as translatable. I would suggest that you don't do this, because then to people playing in different languages, the lakes that spell her name in the big cave scenario won't make sense.
The Kyoko clone appearing in the penultimate scenario has been solved in version 1.0.3 (or at least should be), so I hope your comment pertains to a previous version. You also have a good point regarding making her name translatable - in the first future revision, I'll make sure to get it out, and just count on the translators' common sense in the meantime.

And thanks for the kind words!
melinath

Post by melinath »

I don't know if WML has changed, but if you leave the recruit=0 line out, I will get a message saying there aren't any units that I can recruit (or something similar), which I assume is the effect you're going for. EDIT:: Assuming that's what's causing the error. I think it might be since I imagine it's not a valid value for recruit.

EDIT:: Confirmed. I added that line to a scen in my campaign. Identical effect. Without the line, it works fine.
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

You're right. I played 1.0.2. So no worries there!
CountPenguin

Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

melinath wrote:I don't know if WML has changed, but if you leave the recruit=0 line out, I will get a message saying there aren't any units that I can recruit (or something similar), which I assume is the effect you're going for. [...]

EDIT:: Confirmed. I added that line to a scen in my campaign. Identical effect. Without the line, it works fine.
Excellent, thank you, will amend this and any other of the first few scenarios accordingly by the next released version.

UPDATE: Uploaded a new version (1.0.4) that includes the above fix and the first two of the portrait images I hope to add to the campaign (both of these only appear in scenario 11). I hope everything with the images works as it should, as it was the first time I did it. I plan to add more portrait art in the coming weeks.
Stedevil

Re: 1.6 Campaign: A Rough Life - ver 1.0.4

Post by Stedevil »

Just played though the campaign with 1.04 on hard. Quite nice campaign and storytelling. :)

My only real gripe is that the "end" scenario is time limited to 120 turns. In case (like me) you don't pick up the hint that K should go to the special area, but end up with her next to the dragon, the very long way to walk there and back (45+ turns) might be difficult to do in time. Either the scenario should be time unlimited or there should be a much shorter way (perhaps a "teleport" gate?).

Also, I ended up with 2-3000 gold at the end of that scenario. Of course it's pretty much the end anyway, but maybe it's a tad too much in any case since in one of the endings you can make use of them.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Stedevil wrote:Just played though the campaign with 1.04 on hard. Quite nice campaign and storytelling. :)
Thanks!
Stedevil wrote:My only real gripe is that the "end" scenario is time limited to 120 turns. In case (like me) you don't pick up the hint that K should go to the special area, but end up with her next to the dragon, the very long way to walk there and back (45+ turns) might be difficult to do in time. Either the scenario should be time unlimited or there should be a much shorter way (perhaps a "teleport" gate?).
Duly noted. The turn limit has actually already been increased twice for that very reason, first to 90 turns, then to 120. I'm thinking the long trek should probably be avoided for those who have already found both of the pertinent spots on the map. (While the whole point of actually finding the two areas should remain intact, so a shortcut should only be made available if Kyoko figures out the puzzle and side 1 units have already reached the cavern. Will think of how to code this.)
Stedevil wrote:Also, I ended up with 2-3000 gold at the end of that scenario. Of course it's pretty much the end anyway, but maybe it's a tad too much in any case since in one of the endings you can make use of them.
Actually, gold is something that doesn't mesh well with this campaign, anyway, so I may just scrap the option of having any carryover gold between the scenarios. Your experience seems to support this.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Stedevil

Post by Stedevil »

Indeed, no turnlimit and just 0% money carry over would probably suit the best. :)
melinath

Post by melinath »

Bugs:
-Commander Jacques disappears when attacking/defending
-Luxor's sprite is beneath the temple sprite during the post-finding-him dialog sequence. (EDIT:: I think technically this is a feature. Are characters always drawn under items? If so, perhaps move Luxor up a hex.)
thus.png
thus.png (122.6 KiB) Viewed 4754 times
EDIT::
Suggestion for transformation bug:
Since it's only one unit, you don't need all the loops and stuff that comes in the macros. The most important stuff in the transformation is

Code: Select all

{VARIABLE Jacques_store.advances_to Battle_Commander}
      {VARIABLE Jacques_store.experience Jacques_store.max_experience}
so you should be able to leave everything else out. The reduced complexity might solve the bug.
Jacques_Fol

Post by Jacques_Fol »

Many thanks for the useful comments and suggestions, melinath!

As to the specific points:

- I have taken on board the suggestion re Luxor not losing himself beneath the temple, so he has been moved one hex up (will be included with the next update release, also to include the finalized portrait for Krug);

- I can't figure out why the Commander frames would not work, as I have (I think) copied them and the animation code faithfully from the Human Commander unit in the UTBS campaign; if anyone more skilled in this can see whether perhaps the path to images in my unit .cfg file has been botched and how to amend it, I would be most grateful;

- I have tried the code suggestion for the transformation (seemed right on!) but it doesn't work, unfortunately; Sand Trapper advances to Sand Ranger, but with a blue experience tracker - so it's likely that the code takes the advance_to change only to apply to the new advanced unit (so that the Sand Ranger would now advance to the Battle Commander) rather than affecting the current advancement. It also doesn't help if one changes the event from "post_advance" to "advance" - i.e. to be triggered before the advancement takes place.

Still, it seems like a step in the right direction, so I'll ponder over it some more, and if you figure it out, just let me know and I'll fix it accordingly.
melinath

Post by melinath »

Elvish Princess melee attack frame is also missing. I think that her images are all relying on some other era or campaign being installed. The path for her images is units/elves-wood/druid.png etc., but this path doesn't exist in core or in your images directory. ((EDIT:: Actually, it does exist in core... I somehow missed it :-p I'll have another look.))

The battle commander images aren't working because you've set the path to "userdata/data/campaigns/A_Rough_Life/images/human-commander.png" when it just needs to be "human-commander.png". Changing that fixed it on my computer.
Spoiler:
EDIT:: Incidentally, my adjustment didn't work because... well, it should have read

Code: Select all

{VARIABLE Jacques_store.experience $Jacques_store.max_experience}
I forgot the dollar sign in front of Jacques_store, so instead of advancing the unit, it set the unit's xp to 0. In the process of noticing this, I kind of rewrote the scenario. I wasn't sure if you actually wanted the player to immediately become a battle commander from being a rogue, (wasn't sure if it was possible to get to this scenario as a rogue) so for now I've made it the same as for trapper. You can use it if you want. Or parts of it, or whatever.
List of things I changed:
8_The_Shadowlands.cfg
(28.17 KiB) Downloaded 418 times
Last edited by melinath on June 24th, 2009, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.