Anywhere else to get 2 v 2 maps ?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Bolisimo_VonSwaygo

Anywhere else to get 2 v 2 maps ?

Post by Bolisimo_VonSwaygo »

Is there somewhere else I can download some multiplayer maps? I downloaded all of the map packs from the server add-on option in the Main menu but it doesn't seem like there are that many good maps.

I'm sick of dumb Isar's Cross.....It's predictable and not fun. Clash and Hamlets are great maps but there are not too many others.

Is there like another fan site where there are more maps to download? It seems like since this game has been out for so long that there would be more maps to download.

I play as Rebels and not many maps have trees . some have none and that doesn't help Rebels....I know that doesn't really matter a ton but still most maps are ugly and not fun to play.....
ElvenKing

Re: Anywhere else to get 2 v 2 maps ?

Post by ElvenKing »

Hmm, I don't know of any. There might be a few maps somewhere, although I would suspect the quality of such maps to be not be that high. The reason there aren't many maps(in mainline) is because they have to be meticulously balanced. Making even a single map takes ages.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean by no trees. There are certainly plenty of trees on all the balanced mainline maps. If you're saying there are not enough trees on the balanced mainline maps, then I have no doubt you are wrong. There is a reason that mainline maps are not covered in trees and do not have them in large clumps: it throws out the balance of the map.

By ugly I assume you are refering to the fact that the terrain is very scattered. That is a necessity for balance. No way to avoid it and still have maps that play well.
"if nothing we do matters... , then all that matters is what we do."
Angel- Angel the Series

"Sore thumbs. Do they stick out? I mean, have you ever seen a thumb and gone 'wow, that baby is sore'?"
Willow Rosenberg- Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

I just made a new one and posted it in the Multiplayer forum.
http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=25861

You can find a lot of maps on the MP forum, but some are on really old versions and require wmllint usage to upgrade them to the new version. Also, a lot of them are not very balanced.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Caphriel

Post by Caphriel »

Have you tried all the other 2v2 maps in mainline? Paths of Daggers, Underworld, and Xanthe Chaos are my favorites. Castle Hopping Isle makes for very interesting games. Given that you like 4p Hamlets, though, I suspect our tastes will probably not overlap.

The mainline maps generally have just the right amount of forest (and other terrain types) to make the factions balanced.
Bolisimo_VonSwaygo

Post by Bolisimo_VonSwaygo »

Actually yes i forgot I had path of Daggers and Xanthe Chaos....Both good maps.......

I sometimes get too into having a ton of options and forget to get good at certain maps.

I really wasn't referring to clumps of trees as that would be unbalanced I was talking about the actual look of the maps.

There are quite a bit of 2 v 2 like dungeony and darker ugly looking maps. I like the more nature looking maps. That is more of a personal preference than a true necessity.

I tried making my first 2 v 2 map the other day and I just generated a random map and altered it to my liking.......Balance was kind of an issue but it didn't turn out too bad......I'm going to practice on that one and see what happens.

Yea I haven't checked the multiplayer forums yet I will check it out. I don't want to have to dowload something to use old maps so whatever maps I can play with my current version I will..

Also , I heard there is like a Heroes Arena type game like pvp arena in WOW.....or as close to it as can be....Where do I download these maps and game styles from?

Thanks to all that commented so far.

I guess maybe I'm too used to playing games that have sites that have sections dedicated to user created maps or down loadable content.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Bolisimo_VonSwaygo wrote:I guess maybe I'm too used to playing games that have sites that have sections dedicated to user created maps or down loadable conten
You mean sections like Campaign & Scenario Development and Multiplayer Development, which are sections dedicated to the discussion and development of the downloadable content available from the add-on server?
Bolisimo_VonSwaygo wrote:Also , I heard there is like a Heroes Arena type game like pvp arena in WOW.....or as close to it as can be....Where do I download these maps and game styles from?
All maps and games are available on the add-on server.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LucidDreamer85

Post by LucidDreamer85 »

Yea I'm now realizing just how much info and content there is out there . Maybe I should have checked the MP development forum first before I made this topic...Didn't know it existed at the time.

Also Changed my name ......Bolisimo VonSwaygo was confusing people as they thought i was from a foreign country and did not speak Enlgish cause of the name.........so changed it.....

Thanks for the replies though....they helped