Help needed with Legend of wemere: costly revenge

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

dELFador

Help needed with Legend of wemere: costly revenge

Post by dELFador »

So basically, I tried it 3 times, and lost 3 times.
I'm playing on medium 1.7.0 and starting with 100 gold.
at the beginning I have:
2 elf champions (level 3)
2 elf avengers (level 3)
1 elf high lord (level 3)

on my recall list I have:
1 elf marshal (level 3)
1 elf outrider (level 3)
7 elf marksmen (level 2)
6 elf heroes (level 2)
5 elf rangers (level 2)
2 elf captains (level 2)
1 elf rider (level 2)
and a bunch of level 1's, 2 of which are shamans.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.
HomerJ

Re: Help needed with Legend of wemere: costly revenge

Post by HomerJ »

dELFador wrote:So basically, I tried it 3 times, and lost 3 times.
I'm playing on medium 1.7.0 and starting with 100 gold.
at the beginning I have:
2 elf avengers (level 3)
1 elf high lord (level 3)

on my recall list I have:
1 elf marshal (level 3)
1 elf outrider (level 3)
7 elf marksmen (level 2)
6 elf heroes (level 2)
5 elf rangers (level 2)
2 elf captains (level 2)
1 elf rider (level 2)
and a bunch of level 1's, 2 of which are shamans.
Without even remembering the specific scenario... you don't have ANY leveled shamans (druids, shydes, sorceresses)? Not a single one? I wonder how you could even make it this far!

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Indeed - levelled shamans are UTTERLY vital in this campaign because
Spoiler:
A few shydes and sylphs, and you can mow most things down.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

in case you don't know, all fairy type elves refused to join me. and the dwarves left to, all thanks to landar. :evil:

and I do realize how important leveled shamans are. they were the reason that I could “break the siege.” :wink:

HomerJ wrote:
Without even remembering the specific scenario... you don't have ANY leveled shamans (druids, shydes, sorceresses)? Not a single one? I wonder how you could even make it this far!

Greetz
HomerJ
I had 2 sorcerers, 2 shydes, 1 druid, and 1 enchantress, but they didn't come with me.
Last edited by dELFador on May 31st, 2009, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Try to teach a man to fish, and he will resent you for trying to make him work.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

HomerJ wrote: Without even remembering the specific scenario...
dELFador wrote: in case you don't know, all fairy type elves refused to join me. and the dwarves left to, all thanks to landar. :evil:
and I do realize how important leveled shamans are. they were the reason that I could “break the siege.” :wink:
Hehehe... sorry then.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

apology accepted
I just beat it (on the last turn, and lost a loyal champion, a loyal avenger, a marksman, 2 heroes.)
the minimum starting gold was definitely that, the minimum.

uhhh, when i start elvish assasins, the objective says kalenz reaches the signpost. but I don't have any units to move, except galenor, the scout.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Your posts are only minutes apart, so do not double post but just edit your previous post and include the new information.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Wait, there aren't any Shydes? I just played this level in 1.6.1 or 1.6.2 and was able to recall all of them. Are they gone in 1.7? I can actually see how that would make sense story-wise, but given the enemy's huge amount of gold, it seems pretty unfair to take them away.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Mostly because with the shydes/sorceresses/sylphs etc, Cledodil's warning on costly revenge that this will be a bloodbath was misleading-it's a saurian bloodbath because
elvish mobility is far superior in the terrain. So gamewise for them refusing to join was
dictated for balancing reasons.
Storywise we also discussed this, the different opinions being that for the fairies there was no
need for that on the one hand and on the other hand since Kalenz was going to fight, maybe Cleodil should be on his side too. At the end that objection was brushed aside under the
understanding that this was going to be a low-risk military expedition.

You should NOT have the fairies in Elvish Assasins(except Cleodil); this should be so both for balancing as well as for story reasons(this is an unexpected assasination attempt, and the fairies are dispersed ; it takes time to recall them and this is done in the next scenario).
You should have though Andulias, Tameril-Isimeril and Arkildur as well as Cleodil in Elvish Assasins
DkySven

Post by DkySven »

In Costly Revenge I did have access to my fairies and created a slaughter under the saurians with them(good defense when compared to other units and good attack and mobility.) My game version is 1.6.1. Is it intended to have the fairies in this scenario or not?
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

no fairies is a change in 1.7.0 ;) it is ok to have them in 1.6.1...

In LoW I make sure to level as many shamans to Sylphs and Shydes as possible. Shydes are pretty much the most powerfull unit in the Campaign and very needed. They are worth the trouble and huge amounts of XP. A single Sylph is a lot more dangerous and usefull, than two or three avengers.
silent

Post by silent »

Oh...and I though I'd done well with 3 sylphs slaying the saurians in costly revenge, after all the effort I went to in 1.6.

That is fairly annoying to know, though I suppose the title of the scenario would make sense now
bluwater94

How to Beat LoW-Costly Revenge?

Post by bluwater94 »

Ok so i start with 300 gold (about) 2 champions 2 marksmans and 1 sharpshooter (landar) a shyde (cleodil) 2 hero's and a ranger... and i still cant win i think my downfall was i had only 1 shyde... and my enemy starts with 5 castle slots not 3..

does anyone have any tips on how to beat these guys cz they are the first poeple i havent been able to pwn after 50 tries.. :P (and this is on easy.. im ashamed and a noob..)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: How to Beat LoW-Costly Revenge?

Post by Turuk »

Moved to a related thread.

Hopefully the above posts will help you out.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time