Moose Rider

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
CountPenguin

Moose Rider

Post by CountPenguin »

Here's a moose rider I frankensteined for my campaign. What do you think?
pitchfork needs adjusting?
pitchfork needs adjusting?
mooserider.png (2.53 KiB) Viewed 4878 times
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
Devrailis Colandore

Re: Moose Rider

Post by Devrailis Colandore »

Hey, it looks pretty good. However, it seems like the rider is sitting uncomfortably close to the moose's rear. Notice how his legs are much closer to the moose's rear legs? You might want to move him forward a little bit, otherwise he looks like he's close to sliding right off.
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

Ok I moved him up a bit, but now his head is blocked by the antler. Is that ok?
Attachments
i think the pitchfork is better
i think the pitchfork is better
mooserider.png (2.75 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Better a slightly unrealistic stance than blocking the face. The first one was better.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

if only the horns could be shifted down a bit... or if the moose could twist his head.
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

Or if he used the horns as handlebars =D
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

PsychoticKittens wrote:Or if he used the horns as handlebars =D
Not a bad idea.

Per your earlier note on the first sprite CountPenguin, the pitchfork does need adjusting. The left tine should be a curved a bit more to reflect its opposite.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

Turuk wrote:
PsychoticKittens wrote:Or if he used the horns as handlebars =D
Not a bad idea.
Ya, but then I'd have to draw, not just frankenstein. You don't want to see that...

Anyway I moved the moose up some more, so the antler only blocks a tiny bit of his face, but he doesn't look too far back i don't think. I also changed the pitchfork a bit. it still looks a bit funny, but since it's just for a UMC, ill call it done unless you notice something way wrong with it
Attachments
now i have to make attack animations :(
now i have to make attack animations :(
mooserider2.png (2.81 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
CountPenguin

CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

Here's the Moose Javelineer, part of the rider's upgrade line. I'm not really happy with it though, but I can't figure what's wrong with it (designwise, not how well I frankensteined it)
Attachments
moosejavelin.png
moosejavelin.png (2.83 KiB) Viewed 4578 times
CountPenguin

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Perhaps because the other end of the rider's javelin appears to terminate somewhere inside the moose's body?
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

you should recolor his cap so that it fits in with the rest of his clothing. It looks odd being so dark with the brownish green clothes.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

Ya I noticed the odd colors, but I like the hat color better, so I changed his body. Also I tried to change the spear's orientation, but now it looks even weirder cuz it's angled too far down. I guess I'll actually have to try to draw. :(
Attachments
moosejavelin2.png
moosejavelin2.png (3.15 KiB) Viewed 4230 times
CountPenguin

Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Actually, I sort of like the spear's orientation currently. It makes it seem much more aggressive, and there is nothing wrong with having the rider be poised to attack.

The question I have been pondering though, what in your campaign involves a peasant riding a moose? :P
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

Turuk wrote:Actually, I sort of like the spear's orientation currently. It makes it seem much more aggressive, and there is nothing wrong with having the rider be poised to attack.
Well, if it doesn't look as bad as I thought, I'll save myself some work and move on to the next moose guy.
Turuk wrote: The question I have been pondering though, what in your campaign involves a peasant riding a moose? :P
You'll have to wait and see! :lol2: (it'll be in the fifth scenario and later, and as I can only get out about one scenario per weekend, you won't find out for at least two weeks :twisted: )
CountPenguin

Lord Ork
Code Contributor

Post by Lord Ork »

What if the spear was caught nearer from the base? I'm not an expert, but I think that when you mount an animal you'll need to reach longer.
Turuk wrote:The question I have been pondering though, what in your campaign involves a peasant riding a moose? :P
Didn't some mongolian tribes ride those animals? They loved them so much that when one died, they made sculptures out of its horns.
It is ok to correct me if my English is too bad.

Working on Cunnicula Civil War