Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Eternal
Art Contributor

Re: Terrain: orc stuff

Post by Eternal »

I wonder if it'd look better with smaller stones piled outside of the wooden parts. :hmm:
So that you can't see those walls just sticking out of the ground.
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Eternal wrote:I wonder if it'd look better with smaller stones piled outside of the wooden parts. :hmm:
So that you can't see those walls just sticking out of the ground.
I like this idea - it could also serve to visually unify the wooden palisade with the stone pillars. I also still like to see a little bit more "grain" in the stone pillars, a la the dwarven fortification. Currently the rocks, while multifacted, remain very smooth.

But we are getting down to minor improvements here - this is looking very, very good.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I think I see what you mean. It's an idea.

I'm not going to be able to work on this for a while, so if anyone else wants to try or wants it for UMC, here it is. The images are in a folder called "elven" because I did not write any WML for it.
Attachments
orc_fort.tgz
(218.21 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
orcshot.png
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

doofus-01 wrote:I think I see what you mean. It's an idea.

I'm not going to be able to work on this for a while, so if anyone else wants to try or wants it for UMC, here it is. The images are in a folder called "elven" because I did not write any WML for it.
I think it's good to go for inclusion in the game.
This topic is stickied until one of us gets it included; we're not letting this baby fall under the radar.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Dragonchampion

Post by Dragonchampion »

Who will change all the castles in the campaigns to this?
Ehhhh... don't mind me, I'm just the annoying little modder who gets on peoples nerves. I'll just lurk till Someone says my name. :P

Oh, and also Creator of The War Of Terrador
Noyesdude

Post by Noyesdude »

Dragonchampion wrote:Who will change all the castles in the campaigns to this?
Wouldnt you just leave the rest as is and just use thos to make new campaigns?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:
doofus-01 wrote:I think I see what you mean. It's an idea.

I think it's good to go for inclusion in the game.
This topic is stickied until one of us gets it included; we're not letting this baby fall under the radar.
Committed and de-stickied. There's a couple of minor glitches to fix and maybe some other tweaks to be made, but those can be handled later.

Good job, this is exactly the kind of terrain we've been needing since...forever, basically. I'll see about wiring this in to several mainline campaigns ASAP.

EDIT: Also committed the fourth orcish village variation and the snowy ones, too.
cretin

Post by cretin »

cant wait to see these in game, congrats doofus-01.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

These castle monoliths have a polished surface, i think this looks unnatural. Orcs are no stonemasons.
I quickly edited the right pillar. Compare the right and left one, and you'll see, what i mean.
I quickly edited the right pillar. Compare the right and left one, and you'll see, what i mean.
orcshot2.png (56.09 KiB) Viewed 4836 times
And i'm missing the shadows on the south west side of the castle tile.
No shadow on the south-west
No shadow on the south-west
orcshot1.png (19.56 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
Look at the other castles and you'll see a darker south-west side.
Darker south-west side
Darker south-west side
castles.png (154.47 KiB) Viewed 4834 times
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

musketaquid wrote:These castle monoliths have a polished surface, i think this looks unnatural. Orcs are no stonemasons.
You do not have to be a stonemason to polish stone, it just takes basic grunt labor. Not to mention, if they are just dragging these monoliths from wherever they find them and using them, chances are the stone is fairly worn down and polished by the elements.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

I liked the winter version of orcish houses but I think that the summer version, together with the stronghold, could be slightly tweaked. For me the stones are too grey and too monotonous, the borders between them are too thick and the trunks in palisade are also too plain. I tweaked slightly the last picture to show what I mean: added some patches of yellowish, greenish and reddish spots on stones and trunks.
Attachments
left - before, right - after
left - before, right - after
orcshot2-after.png (58.64 KiB) Viewed 4673 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I wasn't expecting the forts to be committed, but I'm glad they were useful. I'll try to get them finished when I can. My to-do list includes the ground shadows, the SW facing pike that somehow went missing, and fixing some little misalignments and gaps. And if I'm really on a tear, adding some small rocks at the base of the posts.

musketaquid - Personally, I'm not so fond of the little dark stuff. But if it is deemed better that way, then it certainly has my blessing.

Mefisto - I cannot really see a difference, but have no objections.

Thanks.

(While I'm posting, I'll mention that the dark dirt tile for the castle (not the keep) is just a recolour of a regular dirt tile.)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

doofus-01 wrote:I wasn't expecting the forts to be committed, but I'm glad they were useful. I'll try to get them finished when I can. My to-do list includes the ground shadows, the SW facing pike that somehow went missing, and fixing some little misalignments and gaps. And if I'm really on a tear, adding some small rocks at the base of the posts.
We committed them because even if you, personally, were taken away from us forever, these were a great base to work from (in fact they're good enough that the room for improvement is pretty marginal). These are also something we've been wishing we had for a long, long time. We've really never had anything appropriate for orcs.

The magic of open-source is that projects like this can keep going even if individual contributors happen to run out of steam or get pulled away by other things in their life; this is assuming that because we're a popular game, we have a pool of skilled people around to do exactly that; fortunately we are. This doesn't work on unfinished projects where there aren't a lot of skilled fan-contributors who can do exactly that. In contrast, looking at a lot of small "closed" projects, I've seen such projects dry up and die when their one artist or whatnot ends up having a shift in their personal life, and has to move on. It's really tragic when said person is insanely skilled, but everything they did ends up just dying in a "locked safe" of licensure, somewhere, because no one else has permission to pick up where they left off.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

me wrote:And i'm missing the shadows on the south west side of the castle tile.
As i took a look on the screenshot again, i realised, that there is only missing a shadow on a certain tile, the others seem to have a darker south west side. :)
Attachments
Blue = The dark side.<br />Yellow = The dark side is missing.
Blue = The dark side.
Yellow = The dark side is missing.
castle-orc.png (161.36 KiB) Viewed 4422 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

This may not be the one thing Wesnoth was truly missing, but I drew it anyway and maybe it would be nice to have. Here is a first pass at an industrial facility, probably dwarfish. Ultimately, it would be animated.
Attachments
bellows.png
bellows.png (12.83 KiB) Viewed 3318 times