Sceptre of Life, version 0.12.1

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Egosnemesis

Re: Sceptre of Life, version 0.12.0

Post by Egosnemesis »

I haven't played the entire campaign yet, but I'd like to say that this campaign(what I've played of it) has a great storyline, atmosphere and is very well done. Excellent job all around.
opensourcejunkie

Re: Sceptre of Life, version 0.12.1

Post by opensourcejunkie »

thank you :-)
Ektheleon wrote:IMHO, the death is an essential part of the plot, the only problem is the abrupt, almost casual way it's announced, which is especially out of keeping with Aeryn's reaction.
Okay, I'm going to try to take care of the death today, as well as a few other bug fixes.

EDIT: Okay, I uploaded a revised version of the campaign. It includes a more detailed choreography of Karah's death in scenario 1, and in scenario 12 I gave the eastern orcs unlimited gold, which has successfully slowed down the scenario considerably (in my initial tests). I may tweak it some more to allow more recruits in the later turns though, to make it harder to actually defeat that second orc; we'll have to see how well the unlimited gold trick works.

--OSJ
what if the Bible's claims about Christ depicted accurate, verifiable history? given some research, you might be surprised at the evidence...
CMaster

Post by CMaster »

I retested scenario 12. Unfortunately the unlimited gold does not work out as well as it should:
The second orc was down by turn 18 and I still had 14 turns left, watching the woses crawling towards the sign post. That orc simply had no means of delaying my progress.
On the upside: I had to fight my way to that second orc now, loosing 2 highlevel units in the process and creating two enchanteresses, so it was a lot more satisfying than just marching through empty land.

Ideas:
1. Just as with Ulbridge, give the orc some hills to defend. The moveability advantage would be huge on this big map - now the elves can swarm the orcs with their good mobility and kill them before they can do much harm. With a good proportion of the map being hills, this would work the other way around.

2. Still my favourite: Make the scenario end with the defeat of the second orc (after the rendevous with the woses) or bringing the woses back. After all, you don't need that second orc to survive, do you?
I'm a reciever!
Chep

Post by Chep »

(version="0.12.1")

hey,

I've started playing your campaign and so far I have to say that I really enjoy it.
(well, it was tough to lose all "my" units in Satisfactory Victory...but then I think it really is the right decision.)
But this campaign is definitely mainline-potential in my opinion.

there are still a few spelling mistakes here and there, but nothing serious and I like the story so far pretty much.
however the difficulty of the maps varies quite a bit.
(played in normal)
the first few levels are rather fine, with "Alone Time" being really easy since I carried over a lot of gold from the previous level and didn't use the green troops at all. (though I like that feature)
maybe you could decrease the turn limit on "Overprotective" a little bit, as I don't think the enemies should be any stronger.

"The promise of thieves" was very...um...interesting, no real fighting after the secound turn, but I like this level, haven't yet figured out whether to accept or decline the thieves' offer...great so far :D

but then in "For Love of a Sister"...I'm just stuck, plain stuck.
If I establish a foothold in Krax without claiming the last village the orcs still seem to be more interested in me than in the humans if I just stand next to the river...
And the trolls also attack if I get to "their" little village in the plains...
Well, once I destroy the bridges I just get swarmed by the orcs & trolls.
I managed to kill the troll leader in my third try but the orc leader just keeps on recruiting and recruting and had me almost overrun by then.

maybe some of the more experienced players give me a clue how to take this level via PN or something?

but seriously: I love this campaign...I'm just a bit frustrated at the aforementioned level and eager to continue ;)

edit:
okay, I went back to the 2nd map to get Burin (what does the rune in the middle of the lake do? the elves killed the enemy before I got there...) and started to rely more on my elven scouts and Elle's guard than the loyalists, so now I'm again at
"For (the?) Love of a Sister"

AND I MADE IT :D
still...a really tough one, imho

run seems fun and to have "normal" difficulty again, maybe even easy....well I'll continue playing :D

edit2:

damn, I want it to continue...go on ;)

but...this campaign is really one of the best that I've ever played in BfW..
Last edited by Chep on May 26th, 2009, 5:07 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Max

Post by Max »

Chep wrote:Well, once I destroy the bridges I just get swarmed by the orcs & trolls.
I managed to kill the troll leader in my third try but the orc leader just keeps on recruiting and recruting and had me almost overrun by then.
that's a really tough one. i needed three tries and even then it was quite close. i spent all my gold, recalled all level 2 & 3 units and recruited units that had good defense in forest. if you could attach a savegame i'll give it a try (i can't remember all the details how i succeeded in this level).
Chep wrote:btw: who is this Burin? and where should I have met him?
have a look at scenario 2? for any unusual location...
Jeebus

Post by Jeebus »

Max2008 wrote:
Chep wrote:Well, once I destroy the bridges I just get swarmed by the orcs & trolls.
that's a really tough one. i needed three tries and even then it was quite close.
It is possible, but barely (required a HUGE amount of save/loading on my part), to take out the orcish leader via a sneak attack by the Ranger/Avenger after she takes out the second bridge. If you have an Outrider or two you might also be able to sneak them around the right edge to attack at the same time, although the orc makes good use of ZOC to block them.
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

PM me with spelling mistakes and I'll see what I can do about it. My family's in the process of moving at the moment, so I really don't have much time, but I'll try to work on it some.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

Hey I just Finished??? your campaign, and I have to say...

I'm hoping its not complete yet? I was thoroughly enjoying it, I thought the characters were extremely well written, the scenarios were interesting for the most part, and it was quite challenging on the hard difficulty.

And then... it ended. out of nowhere, with no kind of conclusion whatsoever. In fact the "scepter of Life", the namesake of the campaign, never even showed up!!

So I'm assuming that this is a work in progress.

Hopefully you're still working on it, because I really want to see the rest of the campaign
Crushmaster

Post by Crushmaster »

lostnumber wrote:Hey I just Finished??? your campaign, and I have to say...

I'm hoping its not complete yet? I was thoroughly enjoying it, I thought the characters were extremely well written, the scenarios were interesting for the most part, and it was quite challenging on the hard difficulty.

And then... it ended. out of nowhere, with no kind of conclusion whatsoever. In fact the "scepter of Life", the namesake of the campaign, never even showed up!!

So I'm assuming that this is a work in progress.

Hopefully you're still working on it, because I really want to see the rest of the campaign
It's not finished, no; however, Opensourcejunkie has disappeared. I don't think he's been online for over a month.
In Christ,
Crushmaster.
Godspeed, random person!
NeedGod - User:Crushmaster
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

That makes me sad :(

This had the makings of a truly great campaign
Ektheleon

Post by Ektheleon »

Last I heard, we were trying to get it into the SVN project, but the last message I had was 2 months ago come Wednesday. The project is not by any means finished, but I'm just the pet code monkey, so I'm only marginally more in the loop than anybody else.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ektheleon wrote:Last I heard, we were trying to get it into the SVN project, but the last message I had was 2 months ago come Wednesday. The project is not by any means finished, but I'm just the pet code monkey, so I'm only marginally more in the loop than anybody else.
This campaign is currently in our umc-dev project, but has not received a commit since May 3rd from OSJ.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
zslevi

Post by zslevi »

When loading the first scenario, I get the following message:

"Error due to possibly invalid WML." Details in attachment. I used the 0.12.1 version of the campaign, and 1.6.3 version of Wesnoth.
Attachments
error message
error message
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

zslevi wrote:When loading the first scenario, I get the following message:

"Error due to possibly invalid WML." Details in attachment. I used the 0.12.1 version of the campaign, and 1.6.3 version of Wesnoth.
Could you tell what operation system you are using? You are on Windows-XP, aren't you?
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Huston

Post by Huston »

check out this thread.

as said there was a regression. he needs to modify the scenario files a llittle.
just run on wesnoth 1.6.2 if you don't want to fix it yourself before he gets around to it.
coded Rebellion During the Dark Age
Currently working on:
Era of the Future