Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: The new Wesnoth logo and the Loyalist sigil

Post by kitty »

much improvement! the coat of arms starts to look really good and looses the typical vector smoothness.

the wood texture still looks a bit bland to me, look how much interesting colour variantion the old one has!
the blades of the swords looks great, they have a subtle texture that works very well and looks pretty realistic - aim for that niveau for the whole thing!
the hilts still look more plastic-y. and i liked how their colours matched the darkblue and grey of the rest of the coat in the old version - that's the kind of trick that unifies things. now you introduce this light brown and mid brown and they just look alien to the rest. and i'd say decide if the crossguard really touches the edge of the shield or really put a clear gap inbetween. atm they are wether touching and nor apart - be decisive!

i look forward to seeing the next iteration!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Here's the next one. You're right that from design perspective, sticking to two metal colours, steel and brass, is better than having a third one. I used the bronze because it appears in the colours of the original when you looked closely, but strangely enough, in normal size they don't look like bronze at all. I've changed them to steel, and that also helps them to connect to their blades better. Maybe I'll add some rust for brown shades.

I'm going to round the shield edge so there's going to be a gap, and the edges are going to be much darker, so they don't clash with the swords. I'm not sure about adding much colours to the wooden parts, it's supposed to painted wood.
Attachments
Icon-swordshield.png
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

I think the sword blades are too thick and long or the hilts are too small. I think it's quite visible that the swords' proportions are off from the attached image (I've filled the area where the blades would go and flipped the whole thing to make it more obvious). It bugs me even in the scaled down icons.

My suggestion would be to make the forte of the blades a little thinner, the base of the blade wider (as wide as the forte will be), enlarging the crossguard and handle (I guess only longer, not wider) and maybe putting a slightly bigger gap between the crossguards and the shield (probably while drawing the tips of the swords in by the same amount) so that the width of the base of the blade is visible.

I can't say whether all that would have adverse effects on the overall balance of the image, though.
Attachments
new-sword-shield-blades.jpg
new-sword-shield-blades.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 7034 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

You're too polite, seen like that the swords look more like shovels. :oops:

So far I've been pretty loyal to the proportions of the original logo, and I presume the decision to make the blades so wide had to do with the low resolution. Realistically, the blades could be scaled down to almost half in width, but then they would have been only few pixels wide, and their structure would have become fuzzy. If I intend to keep the logo usable in the size of the original, I'll be running into the same problem. The placement of the hilts can be adjusted, but I'd rather not increase their size significantly as this would shrink the shield and change the balance. I see what I can do.
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Quick and dirty, just scaled down the blade width 20% at the tip and scaled up 10% at the base (the base will become more visible once I reshape the corner of the shield).
Attachments
Icon-swordshield.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Much better now :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The sword blades are looking magnificent! :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Been away for a week, but couldn't resist dropping by to offer some encouragement on your work on the crossed swords and shields, the progress is looking very nice. Cannot wait to see the finished product.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I received a bigger version of the original raster (right), which shows the detail much better and has a different composition betweem the swords and the shield, so the whole hilt design as undergone a complete redesign (the base of the blade still lacks detail). This matches the original design pretty closely, but the contrast is going to be lower, the very stark contrasts just don't work so well on larger sizes, I think. I'm still going to add some rust and grime later.

I think given the level of detail, 192x192 (the size below) might be the smallest practical size for this image. This is the size that it now appears in on the opening screen of the game. For smaller sizes, the upcoming monochrome silhouette version will look much cleaner.
Attachments
Icon-swordshield.png
Icon-swordshield.png (79.49 KiB) Viewed 6153 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Here's a filter for the text. With that, the logo-with-text can be rendered in any size and localisation becomes much easier.
Attachments
logotext.png
logotext.png (33.77 KiB) Viewed 6119 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Another filter for the text, with more metallic shading. I also tried another font, which actually looks like uncial script used in medieval times, while the old font is a "medievalised" modern font.
Attachments
logotext.png
logotext.png (59.12 KiB) Viewed 5754 times
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

While partial to the old one, I do like the new one and might like it more if not for the insane size of the letter "L". That instantly captured my view.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The former one is clearer - block capitals are less easy to read. I prefer the first one.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I do like the new one and might like it more if not for the insane size of the letter "L". That instantly captured my view.
That's true, it sort of stands out. These are the uncial fonts I've been checking out and I have even considered composing a mix of glyphs from several of then, chosen for legibility and "coolness."

Here's a blockier font:
Attachments
logotext.png
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

A little bit of bumpiness never hurts.