Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
ayona
Art Contributor

Wooden houses tiles [committed]

Post by ayona »

Hi,

I'd like to draw something for Wesnoth. I am amazed that such a project exists and develops. I just don't know what to begin with. It is more rewarding to draw when you know someone needs it.

This is my first attempt. Some tiles of the wooden houses. Certainly not for the mainline campaign. We had an idea of writing a campaign with some slavic flavour in the setting. I don't know if this idea will ever be implemented. But the tiles are already there. They suit a folk living in the forests. Somewhere in the east. In the depth of the Great Continent.
izba1.png
izba1.png (13.24 KiB) Viewed 5868 times
izba2.png
izba2.png (13.13 KiB) Viewed 5865 times
izba3.png
izba3.png (12.94 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
So, if there is a list of things which Wesnoth needs, I'd like to try.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wooden houses tiles

Post by Sangel »

Welcome to the forums, Ayona! :D

I like these housing designs; they have a simple, practical feel that gives them a timeless sort of quality. I also like that you made a set of three in the same theme; this makes them much more useful to campaign designers. Your colour choices are also good.

Now, these could probably be of use to a user-campaign already, but I see no particular obstacle to polishing them up to mainline standards. There are two main areas where I think further polish might be needed: Shading and Perspective. I'll leave the shading critiques to more experienced artists, but I'm uploading an attachment to illustrate the Perspective issue.

You appear to be using foreshortening in your village art. While an important artistic skill, it's one that we don't use in our Wesnoth terrain art. In the attachment, I've placed your village alongside two villages currently in use in Wesnoth. The difference is subtle, but when you compare izba1.png to the village on the right, you can see that while the roofs are apparently the same shape, you can see "more of the back" in the village to the right, due to the absence of foreshortening.

But don't let me discourage you. These are an excellent start, and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future. :D
Attachments
Example
Example
3villages.png (21.02 KiB) Viewed 5823 times
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

The houses are very well done. Just want to let you know, villages can go outside of the hex without any problem, as most villages go outside of a hex, so there is no need to shorten up the shadows on the house to make it fit in the hex. Secondly, please post the houses with a transparent background as well, for one it'll help people view and comment on the shadows and secondly (probably the real reason from my perspective) is that people who work on user made content can put your work to use even if it doesn't go mainline. :) I know definitely I'd love to get my hands on these and I could put them to use on my projects that I work on. Keep up the great work.
ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

Thank you for replies! I've found your advice extremely helpful. First, I didn't pay attention that buildings in the game are not foreshorted. I fixed it. Second, it's good news that buildings can extend outside of a hex :)
I've also polished the walls and added texture to the roof.

What do you think now?

I'll be happy if someone uses my houses! :)

izba_transp.png
izba_transp.png (8.88 KiB) Viewed 5611 times
izba.png
izba.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 5603 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

These looks excellent, I'm sure they'd be a fantastic addition to the game.

As such, I'll move this into Art Contributions where it will get some more attention. But for my money, these look pretty much ready.

I wonder, also, if you could provide a snow-covered variant for winter maps. These look great as frontier houses, and they tend to get snowy =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

Great!

OK, now I'll improve the other two, and then work on snowy versions.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

These are great! The only criticism I might have is that the texture of the roof is still a bit too smooth. It would help if you made the structure details a bit larger. On sprites you can have more cartoony proportions, and usually its necessary to oversize some small but important details so that they are not fuzzed out.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Note that shadows should point north-west, not south-west; all the other terrain has shadows falling that way, and it's good to be consistent. But looks great.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

As it should be isometric, the ridge of the roof of the village needs to be shifted 1 or 2 pixels to the left.
Attachments
village.png
village.png (7.86 KiB) Viewed 5463 times
JW

Post by JW »

Those would be good to use as Therian houses. :)

I'll probably nab them if they don't make it mainline.
ayona
Art Contributor

Post by ayona »

Thank you all for suggestions!
After I moved the ridge, I saw other disproportions. I think I've fixed them, even used GIMP Measure tool :)
Roof texture (grayish wood planks) and shadows are also improved.
village_version4.png
village_version4.png (9.14 KiB) Viewed 5154 times
Looking forward to put snow on it!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

These are perfect for mainline. Anyone who has the time, please add them at will.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Congratulations, Ayona! With that nod from Jetryl, your work is going into the core game! :D

It seems that you're already planning to touch up the other two and do snowy variants. To perfect the contribution, I'd suggest creating 1-3 more variants on top of what you've done, for a total of between 4 and 6. That way an entire map can be populated with villages in your style without looking repetitive.

And might I add how impressed I am at going from draft to inclusion in a mere 4 posts? I used to take twenty or so iterations in the forums before a piece was ready for inclusion, and that was many years ago when Wesnoth's artistic standards weren't anywhere near as high as they are now! :)
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

If noone else is about who knows how, I'll figure out how to get these committed this evening. but terrain's really not my area, and i haven't the foggiest how to get them in and wired up. I'll find out if necessary, but I'd prefer it if someone with a better knowledge of these things could do it.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Committed the village and wired it in in r34156. Added you to the credits as "ayona". If you want to be listed with your real name or a different nick, just say so. :)