Invasion from the Unknown (1.14.4) for Wesnoth 1.6 ONLY

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.11.1.1) for Wesnoth 1.6 RC1+

Post by Iris »

?

!

SouthernOracle, unfortunately handling changes this way isn't optimal. Instead of starting the game and copying text from it manually, you should use the WML files as guide, and post plain-text files instead of RTF (rich-text format) ones. You had some nice ideas there, but you also introduced a typo ("Under the Burning Suns", mine -> "Under the Burning Sands", yours). I applied some of the changes on my own nonetheless. Thanks for reminding me to revise that text.

Turin, thanks for the info! Fixed in SVN.
joshudson wrote:I tend to play elves using lots of sylphs whenever possible.
And so does everyone. I think I'll end up limiting how many simultaneous sylphs you can have somehow and increase the amount of enemy magic users. :|
The matrix cores are rather annoying. Some early game text suggests that killing them stops the Saxthal from spawning, ...
I don't remember having put that in any dialogue, but there is some WML that was supposed to be a hidden feature that was afterwards broken. I never got around to fix it, so there is no matrix core disabling respawn points anywhere in the campaign AFAICT nowadays.
As for the shadow master himself, the absorbes damage ability heals him completely every time he is hit, not just the amount of damage dealt.
:)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Shadow_Master,

Sorry about the typo, that's why I wanted you to compare the two, so you could decide for yourself rather than put my corrections in blindly. Also, I do not know what you mean by posting the screenshots, please explain. I know that 'specially' is spelled correctly, but its usage in the sentence is sketchy. 'Especially' is used as an intensive, such as: an especially good essay, nothing especially radical in the remarks, or especially in shrouded maps. 'Specially' refers to something done in a special manner, such as: dresses made specially for the occasion, or treated their friends specially.
Also I have a mac so it seems rtf is standard for me; however, I changed the suffix to txt, but I guess that didn't help. I can also save to doc, as I see you use. As I said, I'm not well-versed in software technicalities so I'm not sure about WML, or what I would do with it.
If my ignorance to the inner workings of the software annoy, I apologize. :?
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

Shadow_Master wrote:
joshudson wrote:I tend to play elves using lots of sylphs whenever possible.
And so does everyone. I think I'll end up limiting how many simultaneous sylphs you can have somehow and increase the amount of enemy magic users. :|
Increasing the number of magic users wouldn't scare me. Now, if you placed iron golems on the map every time I recalled a sylph, I would probably reconsider.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
Max

Post by Max »

thanks for this exceptional campaign. you've put so much love in every single scenario and especially the maps - i really, really enjoy it.

one question - in "A Real Confrontation" and "The Library" the allied leaders tend to suddenly join in the fight and often not return to their castle. it was possibly my fault in the second scenario - i let the enemy too close my allies keep, but in "The Library" there's not much i could have done.

Any chance to fix this? Making them passive would be a bit harsh, but maybe some magic to have them return afterwards and not do anything suicidal^^

One more question - maybe it would be better to introduce these big alien brains (/units/alien-psy/crawler) a bit later in the campaign? So that you know there's something evil involved, but don't know of any alien origin until you get down into the caves...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

SouthernOracle wrote:Also, I do not know what you mean by posting the screenshots, please explain.
It demonstrates that RTF files are not plain text files. The first screenshot shows the RTF file opened with a text editor.
I know that 'specially' is spelled correctly, but its usage in the sentence is sketchy. 'Especially' is used as an intensive, such as: an especially good essay, nothing especially radical in the remarks, or especially in shrouded maps. 'Specially' refers to something done in a special manner, such as: dresses made specially for the occasion, or treated their friends specially.
Well, I knew that both were correct forms, but I had never actually found an explanation for the different spelling. Thanks.
I changed the suffix to txt, but I guess that didn't help.
No. You should select the "plain text" file type when saving the file (I guess it isn't much different from Windows' MS Office there).
I can also save to doc, as I see you use. As I said, I'm not well-versed in software technicalities so I'm not sure about WML, or what I would do with it.
You will be wasting your own time if you copy every string by looking at it in game. What you should do, is open the WML files with a plan text editor, copy the strings from them to a new file, mention the source file, etc., and start editing there instead. You won't have to waste CPU with a Wesnoth session in the background either.

Translatable strings are distinguishable from non-translatable ones in WML because they will be enclosed in quotes with a leading outer underscore like this:

Code: Select all

attribute= _ "translatable attribute value"
  {MACRO ( _ "Translatable macro parameter")}
The WML files for IftU are in <preferences dir>/data/campaigns/Invasion_from_the_Unknown (1). The relevant ones for text revision are:

(1)/scenarios/ (everything, purpose is obvious)
(1)/macros/storytxt.cfg (contains the intro screen text messages)
(1)/units (unit names and descriptions)
Max2008 wrote:one question - in "A Real Confrontation" and "The Library" the allied leaders tend to suddenly join in the fight and often not return to their castle. it was possibly my fault in the second scenario - i let the enemy too close my allies keep, but in "The Library" there's not much i could have done.

Any chance to fix this? Making them passive would be a bit harsh, but maybe some magic to have them return afterwards and not do anything suicidal^^
You mean "Strike on New Knalga" I guess; in The Library you have no AI allies.
One more question - maybe it would be better to introduce these big alien brains (/units/alien-psy/crawler) a bit later in the campaign? So that you know there's something evil involved, but don't know of any alien origin until you get down into the caves..
Good thoughts you have there. I'll consider them for the next release (which I've been delaying a lot for being busy with mainline and studies...).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Max

Post by Max »

Shadow_Master wrote:
Max2008 wrote:one question - in "A Real Confrontation" and "The Library" the allied leaders tend to suddenly join in the fight and often not return to their castle. it was possibly my fault in the second scenario - i let the enemy too close my allies keep, but in "The Library" there's not much i could have done.
You mean "Strike on New Knalga" I guess; in The Library you have no AI allies.
Sorry, i meant Errand of Hope.
kele

Post by kele »

I met some disturbance. I defeated Mal Keshar - good. At the next scenario I can recall some of his minions - very good. They have no upkeep cost -- very, very good. They are loyals? The problem is, that have no information about it? So I have to use isolation or any trick to avoid to mixed formations (recruited - has upkeep, these recalled - has no upkeep). Later the recalled units have no imformation about their traitments.
Well - this is a little problem, I can memorize their names 8) . Maybe I am too comfortable :wink:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Thanks for the balancing bug report! I've disabled those loyal undead for the next release.
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

kele wrote:At the next scenario I can recall some of his minions - very good. They have no upkeep cost -- very, very good. They are loyals? The problem is, that have no information about it? So I have to use isolation or any trick to avoid to mixed formations (recruited - has upkeep, these recalled - has no upkeep). Later the recalled units have no imformation about their traitments.
Well - this is a little problem, I can memorize their names 8) . Maybe I am too comfortable :wink:
What I did in some other campaigns, was renaming those no-upkeep-units, appending a "(pseudo-loyal)" to the name. I'm not sure this is possible (sometimes renaming is disallowed), but you could try.

Paŭlo
kele

Post by kele »

Shadow_Master wrote:Thanks for the balancing bug report! I've disabled those loyal undead for the next release.
:( they were very useful over the sands, where income is low and also number of villages too. :D
Such is life (harsh) :twisted:
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

kele wrote::( they [loyal undead] were very useful over the sands, where income is low and also number of villages too. :D
Such is life (harsh) :twisted:
I shaman-chained it. About half my sylphs came from that collection (the other half went shyde). Kind of took the sting out of increasing elf unit cost later.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Shadow_Master wrote:Translatable strings are distinguishable from non-translatable ones in WML because they will be enclosed in quotes with a leading outer underscore like this:
Code: [ Select all ]
attribute= _ "translatable attribute value"
{MACRO ( _ "Translatable macro parameter")}
I have no idea what this means for me in terms of editing - may as well be in Icelandic. However, I did follow your easy instructions and have located the relevant files. As you suggested, I shall copy and paste and substitute the edits in. I have corrections up to the Goliath scene, so hopefully I can post them by Monday.

Looking at this Mac TextEdit..it doesn't allow a save to direct plain text for some oddball reason. I did change the suffix again at the properties level and double checked - now shows up as plain text. If this doesn't work for you, I'll look for some freeware. Great game so far - tough but fun. 8)
Iris
Site Administrator

Invasion from the Unknown (1.12.0) for Wesnoth 1.6.x

Post by Iris »

Version 1.12.0 for Wesnoth 1.6.x ONLY has been released!

It's now available at the usual locations. XDelta files are not currently provided because nobody needs them apparently, and I forgot to install xdelta in the machine were I generated the packages. Duh.
ChangeLog:
Theron

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.12.0) for Wesnoth 1.6

Post by Theron »

IftU 1.12.0, part 1, medium difficulty / Wenoth 1.6a / Mac OS X 10.5.6

Scenario 4:
Glitches with terrain transition road/sand (see attachment).
Fire Faerie has black background (see attachment).

Scenario 5a:
Murlin: "Blast is, the Loyalists! [...]" (should be "loyalists")
I will have to restart (Murlin "committed suicide"). Hopefully this will not happen again.
Attachments
black background.jpg
terrain transition.jpg
SouthernOracle

Re: Invasion from the Unknown (1.12.0) for Wesnoth 1.6

Post by SouthernOracle »

I'm posting the first of the revisions as an experiment to see what works for you, Shadow_Master. I have my .txt-converted .rtf file and a plain text .txt made in word. I'm doing this because I noticed a difference in the symbols around Ledinor's name. Let me know which you prefer. I'm only selecting the threads that need corrections per episode. If you'd like another method, again, let me know.
Attachments
'A Real Confrontation' corrections.txt
plain text done with Word
(1.79 KiB) Downloaded 270 times
A Real Confrontation corrections.txt
.rtf to .txt
(2.19 KiB) Downloaded 368 times