Make_translation

Discuss and coordinate development of mainline and user-made content translations.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lysander

Make_translation

Post by Lysander »

When making the Norwegian translation, I encountered some bugs with make_translation (from version 0.6 I think):

Some generated tags contains whitespace (snow village, swamp water etc.). Is this permitted?

The tutorial (The Elven Training Grounds) isn't included.

Scenario "Crossroads" lack objectives.

The traits (strong, loyal...) does not show up, but works after I added them manually.

Deprecated/unused tags aren't marked when doing merge_translation. This is a bit bothersome, especially when tags change their name ("scenario_XX: ..." was skipped, some tags got a prefix like "action_" and "ability_").

"Victory:" and "Defeat:" in objectives could be autogenerated. They are indentified by a preceding '@' and '#' anyway. (Standard objectives like "Death of ..." and "Defeat (all) enemy leaders" could also be autogenerated, from tags like defeat_leader(s)="..." and death_of"...")

A couple of other issues I ran across:

The Preferences dialog isn't wide enough for 'Scroll Speed' in Norwegian ('Panoreringshastighet', 20 chars). Same goes for other languages, i.e. Danish. The buttons also look ugly when they contain long strings, because there is no left and right margin.

Why is there a 'See Also...' in the unit description dialog? I find it a bit unnecessary, and at first I thought it was a clickable menu item (looks just like the real menu items, like 'Terrain Modifiers') that somehow didn't work... :roll:

Almost finished with the Norwegian translation now. So I just have to find some Norwegians to play the game, and enjoy the translation :)
--Lysander--
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Make_translation

Post by Dave »

Lysander wrote: Some generated tags contains whitespace (snow village, swamp water etc.). Is this permitted?
Yes it is permitted.
Lysander wrote: The tutorial (The Elven Training Grounds) isn't included.
I'll have to look into this.
Lysander wrote: Scenario "Crossroads" lack objectives.
This has now been fixed.
Lysander wrote: The traits (strong, loyal...) does not show up, but works after I added them manually.
Yes this is right. They still have to be added in.
Lysander wrote: Deprecated/unused tags aren't marked when doing merge_translation. This is a bit bothersome, especially when tags change their name ("scenario_XX: ..." was skipped, some tags got a prefix like "action_" and "ability_").
It is bothersome, but unfortunately there's not much that can be done about it.
Lysander wrote: The Preferences dialog isn't wide enough for 'Scroll Speed' in Norwegian ('Panoreringshastighet', 20 chars). Same goes for other languages, i.e. Danish. The buttons also look ugly when they contain long strings, because there is no left and right margin.
This is a very hard problem to solve generally. I guess we can just make the buttons big enough.

We'll look at making the buttons look better when they have alot of text on them.
Lysander wrote: Almost finished with the Norwegian translation now. So I just have to find some Norwegians to play the game, and enjoy the translation :)
Great! Thanks for taking time to do the translation! The more languages the better :)

David