Compiling version 1.4.7...

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dragon of Flame

Compiling version 1.4.7...

Post by Dragon of Flame »

I'm having issues compiling the code. I've already untared it, but when I give the configure command, it runs smooth until I get this:

checking boost/iostreams/device/file_descriptor.hpp usability... no
checking boost/iostreams/device/file_descriptor.hpp presence... no
checking for boost/iostreams/device/file_descriptor.hpp... no
configure: error: cannot find boost/iostreams/device/file_descriptor.hpp

If anyone can help me out, I would greatly appreciate it.
I still don't understand economy. All our money is based on a shiny rock that's hard to find.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Re: Compiling version 1.4.7...

Post by Soliton »

Well, install boost iostreams. The wiki has instructions on how to get the needed dependencies for many distributions.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Dragon of Flame

Ok, sorry if I seem noobish, but you will probably have to treat me as if I am clueless, it will be easier. My dad usually handles this kind of thing, but he's sick, so I'm trying to take care of this myself. Can you be more specific as to what I am supposed to do?
I still don't understand economy. All our money is based on a shiny rock that's hard to find.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Which distribution are you using?
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

You need to install boost development package(s) in order to compile (should be "boost-devel" or something similar).
You might need to install some other dependencies as well, see http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/CompilingWesnoth
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Dragon of Flame

Following the instructions on the compiling page, I tried to install the package you pointed me to, and it asked for a sudo password. I'm guessing I may just have to wait for my dad anyway.
Dragon of Flame

Ok, my dad got better and installed the package along with several others and the new install works. The only problem i'm having now is that there is no sound. I went into the preferences menu and under sound I clicked the music button several times. I dunno whats going on. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions as to what I should do?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

You have yet to mention the distribution you use... but I dare guess it is debian based and the wesnoth-music package is not installed.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Dragon of Flame

I have Kubunto 8.04 if that helps anything.

My dad just tried to install wesnoth-music and it said that we have the latest version...

Something else I felt I should say...do the attack sounds work on a separate package than the music? I say this because I have grabbed the music from the music folder and put them in an Amarok playlist to play while I play Wesnoth, but without the attack sounds, it's still a bit "silent."

Anyone have any ideas?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Dragon of Flame wrote:do the attack sounds work on a separate package than the music?
No.

Can you start Wesnoth in a text console (KDE: Konsole; GNOME: their homonym Terminal emulator), e.g. "wesnoth", and paste the text output here? It sounds like a sound driver issue.

Also, what version of the packages containing "SDL" in their names, are you using? What are their names?
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Dragon of Flame

Started a terminal and ran wesnoth and this is what i got.

Battle for Wesnoth v1.4.7
Started on Thu Feb 19 19:01:52 2009

Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
setting mode to 1024x768x32
set locale to ''
set locale to ''
loadscreen: filesystem counter = 114
loadscreen: binarywml counter = 32430
loadscreen: setconfig counter = 44
loadscreen: parser counter = 244

Where can I find the SDL libraries?
Dragon of Flame

Anybody got anything?

I apologize if I seem impatient. I also apologize if I have put anyone off for any reason with my noobishness. :oops: