Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Iris
Site Administrator

Re: IftU Portraits | Update: Ledinor

Post by Iris »

Kitty, I'm going to commit your latest version, but I was wondering if this non-transparent version I edited myself is acceptable in terms of quality. I scaled down to 205x205 with GIMP's Bicubic algorithm and then sharpened it a bit ("Unsharp Mask", radius 0.2, amount 0.3 and threshold 0).

If you have any new revisions, I have no problems with committing them afterwards.
Attachments
Disregard the border.
Disregard the border.
ledinor.png (38.95 KiB) Viewed 4773 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

bla
Attachments
asthorgar.png
asthorgar.png (199.37 KiB) Viewed 4556 times
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Small issue on a black background: what are those stray areas of white around the axe and near his head, in middle of the void?
Attachments
asthorgar_on_black.png
asthorgar_on_black.png (191.55 KiB) Viewed 4540 times
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote:bla
Quite the understatement. She posts 9 times in handful of minutes giving detailed critique, draws a great dwarf portrait, and still has time to be a uni student. What can't she do ladies and gentlemen?

I really do enjoy the detail on the armor and the axe head, it actually looks as if it has been worked into the metal instead of painted on (which I know was exactly your intention, but is normally hard for artists to convey). Though the bits of white seem a bit odd?

Bah, SM acknowledged it already.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

SM: did i declare him finished? i'll post a on black and one properly transparent version if nobody finds an other problem....

Turuk: :oops:
JW

Post by JW »

kitty wrote:bla
That is one freaking awesome dwarf. I love his axe. :)

You also convey his stoutness very well. :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Agreed.

I can only see one minor issue - the shapes of the quilts on his belly don't match the shape of his body (assuming that they're a regular pattern when the garment is laid flat) - it seems to me that they should pinch in at the (our) left hand side in the same way that they do at the right - they should be biggest and most open in the middle, not at one side.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

In general it is better to avoid poses directly facing out of the screen, though it isn't "wrong".

This is important, because otherwise you can't get the poses dynamic and interesting enough. You must break out of the canvas. Practically it means that your perspective must change from A (below) to B:

Sorry, I felt mischievous. :P

More seriously, though, Asthorgar looks great, and the dead-on-centre really works for this picture. Chalk up another great portrait for kitty.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Rules were made to be broken :P

In this case, a face-on pose shows the shape of the dwarf well, and really shows off how solid and hefty he is.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

thespaceinvader wrote:I can only see one minor issue - the shapes of the quilts on his belly don't match the shape of his body (assuming that they're a regular pattern when the garment is laid flat) - it seems to me that they should pinch in at the (our) left hand side in the same way that they do at the right - they should be biggest and most open in the middle, not at one side.
This bugs me too - it makes it so I can't tell if he's directly facing the camera, or is tilted 10 degrees or so counterclockwise (from above). Other than that, though, great portrait. :D
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

kitty wrote:SM: did i declare him finished? i'll post a on black and one properly transparent version if nobody finds an other problem....
Is the axehead resting on something? otherwise this might be a somewhat uncomfortable position, depending on how heavy it is. If the weapon's balance is to the right of his left hand (could I be any less clear?), he'd have to push it down with his right.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Rules were made to be broken
That's right, but you have to know the rules well to get away with it, and kitty sure does. Observe how the static pose adds "gravity" to the character.
I can only see one minor issue - the shapes of the quilts on his belly don't match the shape of his body (assuming that they're a regular pattern when the garment is laid flat)
I agree, the shape only makes sense if the pattern is non-symmetric -- but it looks symmetric under the belt where it isn't stretched. :?
Is the axehead resting on something? otherwise this might be a somewhat uncomfortable position, depending on how heavy it is.
Battleaxes are generally lighter than splitting axes of same size, because their blade is thinner. The wedge effect of a thick blade is good only for prying the wood structure apart, for armour and soft tissue alike a blade that cuts more like a cleaver is better.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:Battleaxes are generally lighter than splitting axes of same size, because their blade is thinner. The wedge effect of a thick blade is good only for prying the wood structure apart, for armour and soft tissue alike a blade that cuts more like a cleaver is better.
I was going to mention it, but this guy's axeblade's attached to a huge metal chunk, so it weighs a lot anyway.
For the dark gods!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Another great portrait with great costuming as usual :wink: .

The way he holds his axe bothers me slightly, but flipping his hand to our right would probably lessen the gravity of the portrait.

And saying bla for something this awesome is just wrong. :)
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

thespaceinvader wrote:Rules were made to be broken :P

In this case, a face-on pose shows the shape of the dwarf well, and really shows off how solid and hefty he is.
Its funny because it kinda reminded me of Secretary of Defence Robert Gates photo from this NYTimes set of Obama personnel Portraits.

http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/ma ... index.html

You might find it interesting, especially if you listen to the commentary.
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.