Campaign challenges

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Campaign challenges

Post by zookeeper »

I've mostly gotten through TSG on hardest difficulty (bandit branch) recruiting only peasants. 'Tides of War' is really hard but no doubt doable, especially if you'd do much better in 'Pebbles in the Flood' (I only lasted 10 turns).
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Ghouls probly would not work, because they have 5 movement hexes as opposed to the WC's 4. Handy for open fields, but not much difference in caves. :eng:
For DiD, why not losing no units? Pretty hard considering the first scenario.
I shall take this potato chip... and eat it!!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Because that is incredibly reliant on luck. In the first senario any enemy grunt has a fair chance of killing a zombie in one turn (except during the day). Taking this chalange would mean restarting every time that happened.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

A tale of two brothers scn 1, no recruit, no village, no unit lost (on my side), this is quite easy to accomplish (in hard mode of course)
AToTB-Challenge-1.gz
(8.34 KiB) Downloaded 550 times
Can i recall in scn 2? :lol2: cause i find it quite hard to only go with a sole cavalryman...
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

So I am currently trying HttT with only thieves and loyal units from Saving Elensefar on. On easy this was a piece of cake so far. Last scenario I have finished is Northern Winter. If anyone is interested in a particular replay, just drop me a line.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
docrock

Post by docrock »

another challenge:
- playing a BfW-campaign play-by-mail on one side with friends without exchanging thoughts about tactics and stuff. every one has got one turn and then mails the result to the next player (and on promise-basis no save-load-save). currently we are three playing HttT on 1.4.7 that way and i must say it is great fun.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
JW

Post by JW »

docrock wrote:another challenge:
- playing a BfW-campaign play-by-mail on one side with friends without exchanging thoughts about tactics and stuff. every one has got one turn and then mails the result to the next player (and on promise-basis no save-load-save). currently we are three playing HttT on 1.4.7 that way and i must say it is great fun.
OMG that sounds like torture, not a challenge. :o

How about beating a campaign without taking villages? (ones you start with are okay...for a further challenge do not stand on them!)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

JW wrote:
docrock wrote:another challenge:
OMG that sounds like torture, not a challenge. :o

How about beating a campaign without taking villages? (ones you start with are okay...for a further challenge do not stand on them!)
Meh, too extreme. A possibly doable one (in the easiest campaigns) could be to never heal during a scenario. No healers, no village healing, no rest healing (if you're at full health on a village and an enemy hits you and you heal, you lose).
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

zookeeper wrote:
JW wrote:How about beating a campaign without taking villages? (ones you start with are okay...for a further challenge do not stand on them!)
Meh, too extreme.
Famous last words.... :P
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
docrock

Post by docrock »

OMG that sounds like torture, not a challenge
well, we managed (poorly) to get to the fifth scenario that way. just don't ask about the recalls. everyone has different playstyles and favorites. so this always tends to end up in mails like "wth did you do to the archers?" and that like. besides that, i rarely enjoyed something as much as that. a challenge every turn as you never know what your beloved compagnions make of "your" troops the next turn, lol.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

docrock wrote:well, we managed (poorly) to get to the fifth scenario that way. just don't ask about the recalls. everyone has different playstyles and favorites. so this always tends to end up in mails like "wth did you do to the archers?" and that like. besides that, i rarely enjoyed something as much as that. a challenge every turn as you never know what your beloved compagnions make of "your" troops the next turn, lol.
Ha, I can see this quickly going from a friendly game into arguments. It's all fun and games while you are winning, but once you start to lose.... the finger pointing starts. A challenge like that is near impossible given you have no way to plan for long-term movements, other then "I hope that he moves this there, that there, and that over, does not attack this, attacks that...."

I guess if you don't like your friends... :P
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
docrock

Post by docrock »

It's all fun and games
yep, till someone looses an eye, or a foot or ... whatever.

and yea, i know my friends, we been playing "Conquest" on the Atari ST 520 a long time ago - on opposite sides. for hours, even for days. we now just play for "i'll spoil it for you", and everybody tries to stop it. which is hard enough, lol.
edit: chris, if you read this, just stop it. and get yourself a login.
Max

Post by Max »

Turuk wrote:A challenge like that is near impossible given you have no way to plan for long-term movements, other then "I hope that he moves this there, that there, and that over, does not attack this, attacks that...."
that actually sounds like fair play since the AI doesn't have long-term strategies as well^^
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Max2008 wrote:
Turuk wrote:A challenge like that is near impossible given you have no way to plan for long-term movements, other then "I hope that he moves this there, that there, and that over, does not attack this, attacks that...."
that actually sounds like fair play since the AI doesn't have long-term strategies as well^^
But I get lots of gold to compensate!
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

HomerJ wrote:So I am currently trying HttT with only thieves and loyal units from Saving Elensefar on. On easy this was a piece of cake so far. Last scenario I have finished is Northern Winter. If anyone is interested in a particular replay, just drop me a line.

Greetz
HomerJ
I just finished the "thiefes only" challenge on easy. No real problems in general. Surprisingly, I couldn't kill all the leaders in Dwarven Doors without valuable losses, so I just ran for it. Had Li'Sar killed in Test of the Clans when overlooking a lancer ( :? ) and a second time on a real bad roll of dice in the final, so started over those scenarios from the top.
I choose the orc path in "A choice must be made" because of the skellies in Swamp of Dread but I guess I could have managed that way too.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!