RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v0.3.2- 10.07.2020

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

TrashMan

Re: RELEASE: Coming of the Storm - v1.11

Post by TrashMan »

No, that second ambush is just a bunch of outlaws waiting on the other side of the bridge (which is why you go further up).

So triggered the convo with Loghain, you got the new objective to go north instead of east, you picked up Ithilien and you got her, Ellderon and Lotion on (or very near) the marked hex and it still didn't trigger a victory? Hm...

Anyone see anything wrong with this code?

Code: Select all

[event]
	name=moveto
        	[filter]
          	    id=Ellderon
			  [or]
			    id=Lotion
			  [/or]
			  [or]
			    id=Ithilien
			  [/or]
            	x=15-17
            	y=1-2
        	[/filter]

[if]
		   [and]
			[have_unit]
				id=Lotion
				x=15-17
				y=1-2
			[/have_unit]
			[have_unit]
				id=Ellderon
				x=15-17
				y=1-2
			[/have_unit]
			[have_unit]
				id=Ithilien
				x=15-17
				y=1-2
			[/have_unit]
		   [/and]

[then]
         		[endlevel]
             		result=victory
             		bonus=no
        		[/endlevel]
		   [/then]

[else]
			[message]
				speaker=narrator
				message= _ "Get all 3 heros close to the exit point"
			[/message]
		   [/else]
		[/if]
	[/event]
docrock wrote:in "Orcish Incursion" the allied leader "Sir Casavir" should be made so that he sticks to his castle and does not leave it for anything. else he just has an insane tendency to suicidally charge into superior enemy forces once they make it into his range.
I set his AI levels to high caution and to be more agressive during day, and highly defensive during night. Honestly I don't see any big changes in his behavior. I might add a passive_leader=yes line to the AI

Personally I always send 2 horseman to guard him and help out with the defense.

@lastjuan - I'll look into it. Can't figure it out. I picked the second option and it works fine for me....
Spoiler:
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Reval

Post by Reval »

I still get an error message that a unit type is unknown when "into the dark" should start.
Attachments
cots-Into_the_Dark.gz
(24.04 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
cots-Top_of_the_World_Runde_15d.gz
(130.26 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Hmm...interesting.

I re-uploaded the campaign. Try now.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

hmmmm, "Fairwells by the Sea". well, shouldn't it be named "Farewells by the Sea"? besides that, one great scenario. overkill, lol. there's just the thing with the ai on 1.5.7 at least, like:
- my ally having 62 units (near end) and not sending anything besides white mages to attack the last enemy (undead)
- undead enemy moving his units around his castle in circles, also does my ally (fun to watch)
- all enemies and the ally not recruiting anything really usefull, only the most unfitting units (say, a poacher to attack an orcish crossbowman)

also, objectives should be made clearer, "survive until end of turns" in a scenario without a turn limit ... and the last objective with reaching the ship should be announced earlier, like "after we evacuated the peasants we should try to reach the last ship ourselves", or something like that. so that the leader (Ellderon) is NOT on the other side of the map and action when this objective pops up. as said, besides that absolutely great work on this one.

edit: oh yes, and having some rangers (developed from woodsmen earlier) really, really helps.

well, and maybe you should consider to announce new units which can be recruited in every scenario in some dialogue or popup.

edit2: concerning "Fairwells ...", killing all enemy leaders should be announced as objective, maybe with the addition of "heroic" or "bonus" or something, but having Ellderon marching all the way back from killing the third leader just to find him one turn from reaching the target tile and at the same time some hero-shyde killing the last leader with unbelievable wes-luck just to trigger victory is weird. and also, killing Loghain (or whatever his name is) should give some dialogue. did he survive? flee? is he dead (well, no, he isn't, but you can't tell that from storyline yet) - a need for more explanation here i'd say.

edit3: what's wrong with "A new World"? the turns take like forever to finish, 1.5.7 is so slow on this ... and it's sure not my hardware. the 3GHz dual-core + 4GB RAM normally really get the job done. engine bug?
Last edited by docrock on January 20th, 2009, 4:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
Reval

Post by Reval »

Well, the latest fix to into the dark helped. But besides that I don't like the overkill of Yetis and Giant Spiders at the beginning of this in the scenario before that (makes it very difficult not to loose units, even if they are all level 3), I was quite surprised that obviously a Troll spoke the lines that a Dwarf should have spoken (since I first encountered a Troll and not a Dwarf). That made it appear to me, that the Troll is trying to mislead me and that the Dwarf boss is NOT on the eastern side. Besides, it is strange that the goal "Meet the Dwarfs" is only fullfilled when you finally meet the Dwarf boss. The round limit is pretty, hm, limited. I met the Dwarf bos in round 26 or 27 of 30. Fortunatly I was very close to fulfil the new goal of defeating the Trolls.
It is a pitty that there is not yet a scenario after that unitl now. :-)
The Wesnoth Unit Quiz by Flametrooper:
You Scored as Arch Mage - Arrg, just Arch?!?

The Fellowship of the Clay
docrock

Post by docrock »

in "A new World" when the hydra has gained enough xp to amla the game gives an error "unknown unit type " when generating traits". exactly with the " in the middle, so i'd guess it's kind of string problem or that like.
eccentricity

Post by eccentricity »

for some reason the escape to the valley scenario does not recognize when i put the three heroes around the marked x. also, it is rather misleading that the prompt says to escape to the eastern valley while the road leads west.

i'm also playing on 1.5.8, which may factor into all of this.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I had trouble logging in, so sorry for the lack of responses.

@docrock:
Farewells by hte Sea - I deliberately made both orc camps weakers so the palyer can take them out. The undead and Loghain however, shouldn't be killable. I guess I'll have to add a few more $$$ giving events, especially if the player gets close.

A New World - it has 6 sides total 4 of which have no leader. So I guess it processes hte turns longer. I did notice it takes a little longer for me too, altough not THAT long.

@Reval - yeah, I was looking for the enemies appropriate for the setting and Yeti's were one of the only ones. I didn't realsie jsut how powerful lthose things were. There should be some trolls and wolves out tehre that will fight the Yeti. I did decrease the number of Yeti to only 4.

Troll speaking the lines? Gah..must have put the wriong side number in the event. Yeah, increasing the turn limit might be good too. and also maybe giving the Troll leader more $$$

@eccentricity -
Damn. I don't know why It doesn't trigger. I'll run hte event trough the WML forums to see if anything is wrong.

In the meantime, what you can do is replace the code (the one mentioned in my previos post) wiht this:

Code: Select all

[event]
   name=moveto
           [filter]
                 id=Ellderon
           [or]
             id=Lotion
           [/or]
           [or]
             id=Ithilien
           [/or]
               x=15-17
               y=1-2
           [/filter]

[endlevel]
                   result=victory
                   bonus=no
              [/endlevel]
   [/event]

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

I had trouble logging in, so sorry for the lack of responses
i'd say you've been pretty quick anyways, considering the amount of stuff reported :)
The undead and Loghain however, shouldn't be killable.
i should have said that i started this one with 611 gold and a pile of lvl2 + lvl3(loyal) units. with 400 gold and less developed and diverse units (i checked the recruiting tab every scenario *smiles*) things might look much different. having the undead recruit less lvl2 and more lvl1 would also help, i just ignored him and wasted his units at the horizontal river with shock troopers having a general (ellderon) and the new healer in their back (that so rips them chocobones to pieces ..., reliably) until i had killed the orcs, then sent in my assault squads (paladin + knight + lancer + fugitive) against loghain and finished with the undead being last to leave.

the perfomance issues might also be due to 1.5.7, i'll check out with 1.5.8 tonight.

what about the hydra-amla issue?
Damn. I don't know why It doesn't trigger.
i'm just happy that it's not only my problem. had to debug myself out of there.

edit: for reasons unknown, 1.5.8 does perform about 40% better on my system. stunning.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

docrock wrote: i should have said that i started this one with 611 gold and a pile of lvl2 + lvl3(loyal) units. with 400 gold and less developed and diverse units (i checked the recruiting tab every scenario *smiles*) things might look much different. having the undead recruit less lvl2 and more lvl1 would also help, i just ignored him and wasted his units at the horizontal river with shock troopers having a general (ellderon) and the new healer in their back (that so rips them chocobones to pieces ..., reliably) until i had killed the orcs, then sent in my assault squads (paladin + knight + lancer + fugitive) against loghain and finished with the undead being last to leave.
You think I should try to limit the $$$ the player has? I could reduce the basic income (alltough I think it's set to 2 or 0 for most scenarios anyway), or reduce the number of villages close to you.. Or, the universal solution - give them more $$$.

And yea, there is a reason you are given footpads and ruffians to recruit. They are great undead-killers.
what about the hydra-amla issue?
The Hydra doesn't have an AMLA. It should advance to DeepHydra. The unit id's look alright to me. The DeepHydra works for me too.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

You think I should try to limit the $$$ the player has?
nope, as said, limiting the undead player in his recruits should do the job. he could get almost twice as much units and twice as much damage per turn with lvl1s imho. he has the gold and the base income, he is just wasting it on too easily killably units, like chocobones and lvl2 archers.
here is a reason you are given footpads and ruffians to recruit
but not only that, there are fencers, cavalrymen ... lots of stuff that should better be announced at the beginning of a scenario i think. lots of newer players just rely on recall list and don't check the recruits every scenario. they actually might miss out on some great units that way, so just announce in some kind of info box or dialogue and this is set.

about the hydra, you were correct, in 1.5.8 it actually does show me an advancement path to raging hydra. still there is some quotation/string-delimiter error in there (or maybe in the preprocessor) which does crash the game with the given error if a hydra is too successful in killing saurians and stuff. annoying about that is just the fact that they are normally 3 xp away from levelling when i meet them. instant bail-out of the game. maybe just bad wesluck on my side.
also, i'd say 40 turns are a bit harsh for a scenario like "A new Land". maybe 45 would be better, the random distribution of high-level enemies (like the spiders) makes for totally different outcomes of battles. playing this through now the third time and every time it went differently, mostly depending on them spiders.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

docrock wrote: nope, as said, limiting the undead player in his recruits should do the job. he could get almost twice as much units and twice as much damage per turn with lvl1s imho. he has the gold and the base income, he is just wasting it on too easily killably units, like chocobones and lvl2 archers.
Well..I could limit it's recruitment list for the first few turns, and then add lvl2 units.
But it's not that lvl2 units are too easily killable - I made a very defensive position with that small river. With them in the water you got 80% chance of hitting them, which is murder in most cases.

but not only that, there are fencers, cavalrymen ... lots of stuff that should better be announced at the beginning of a scenario i think. lots of newer players just rely on recall list and don't check the recruits every scenario. they actually might miss out on some great units that way, so just announce in some kind of info box or dialogue and this is set.
Good idea. Was thinking about that myself, just never gotten around to do it. In the next release all new units will be anounced.
about the hydra, you were correct, in 1.5.8 it actually does show me an advancement path to raging hydra. still there is some quotation/string-delimiter error in there (or maybe in the preprocessor) which does crash the game with the given error if a hydra is too successful in killing saurians and stuff. annoying about that is just the fact that they are normally 3 xp away from levelling when i meet them. instant bail-out of the game. maybe just bad wesluck on my side.
also, i'd say 40 turns are a bit harsh for a scenario like "A new Land". maybe 45 would be better, the random distribution of high-level enemies (like the spiders) makes for totally different outcomes of battles. playing this through now the third time and every time it went differently, mostly depending on them spiders.
I'll increase the turn limit then.
one thing to note when fighting hydras - they have a swarm attack - the more injured they are, the less damage they do. Keep that in mind when choosing targets.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
docrock

Post by docrock »

actually the hydras are pretty easy i think. slow them, then damage with ranged, then kill with whatever you want to get the xp. the interesting part is the number and distribution of spiders. when you got three of them going against a pikeman and a mage with 2 turns before reinforcements can arrive ... pretty tough. actually, my best result so far was 35 turns (with incredible luck) and my worst were some where i did not make it at all with 40. it actually mostly depends on the npc meetings. spider vs. hydra vs. saurians vs. wildlife = good for the player. if those encounters don't happen because of movement then things can get sticky pretty quickly. therefore the idea of increasing turns, in the end this will not change much goldwise because of the following scenarios and gives the player more choice of what to explore.
Omid

Post by Omid »

hey guys in the flight lvl.... i got lotion and ithilien both... and got to that circle with swords.. and puted ellderon on it.... nothing happens... turns run out and nothing... what should i do... also listened to the speaks of that general at the south west.. :hmm: any idea?
docrock

Post by docrock »

@omid for the moment i would suggest:

:debug
:n

and in the next scenario:

:nodebug

as for some reason victory does not trigger on 1.5.x atm