A bit of fun - Sprites and Portrais

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
TrashMan

Re: A bit of fun - Sprites and Portrais

Post by TrashMan »

Good catch. I think I'll stick with the "3 long whip-like" tail design (upper image). Will curl the tail more.

Also, this is a WIP of the win up position (legs need work)
Attachments
PhoenixC.png
PhoenixC.png (11.07 KiB) Viewed 4447 times
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Not bad, though I think you may have made him a bit too... fat? :hmm:

His body just looks very thick, and not too streamlined in keeping with the other images.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

It's OK to go outside the hex (at least it seems to be in 1.5, though not 1.4), for this Phoenix will need flapping wings in a standing animation. The wings are rather large, so a two-frame animation probably won't look so good. And the flames will need to move.

This is going to be a lot of work, but I'd think a lot of people would be interested if you manage to pull it off.
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Turuk wrote:Not bad, though I think you may have made him a bit too... fat? :hmm:

His body just looks very thick, and not too streamlined in keeping with the other images.
Yeah...gotta work on that.

It's time to think about the unit in terms of powers and progression too :P

Young/Mature/Ancient Phoenix?
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Seems logical enough progression, and you could even increase the vibrancy of the unit as the creature levels.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Update:
Attachments
Just a quick mock-up of a possible look
Just a quick mock-up of a possible look
AncientPhoenix.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 4321 times
3 current sprites
3 current sprites
Phoenix3.png (25.11 KiB) Viewed 4321 times

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

The phoenix looks awesome, i like the way you have made it look fiery, especially the wings. But I think there's a couple of small issues;

I think the tail/butt feathers are a bit too simple looking compared to the rest of the sprite and they could use a little work giving them texture.

There's also something bothering me about the legs in the third sprite at the bottom. I believe they would look better if you didn't define the back part of the legs with a line going forward. I'm no bird anatomy expert though so I might be wrong. Still, I tried looking up some reference on a random bird: Sparrowhawk
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

K, I think I got the basic looks down for the phoenix progression

the basic differences are color, wing tips, tail and beak
from top to bottom:
- Young Phoenix
- Mature Phoenix
- Elder /Ancient Phoenix
- Ancient Phoenix (another possible look)

*still got to fix the legs. possibly making the wing even longer for elder Phoenix
Attachments
Phoenixez.png

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

While color differences are cool, I wouldn't look at these and readily be able to tell which ones are higher and which are lower in level--I think you should go with the top one (Best shading IMO, although you want to revisit the tail feathers--They look a little bit like tentacles. I think they need a little more texture, maybe?) and then do a new pose for each new level. It's a lot of work, but the results are definitely worth it.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Great work on the sprites, I really like the change in colors. Though, if I may, I disagree with the leveling. I would make the Young Phoenix the golden one at the bottom, and then top 2nd level and middle the 3rd, as the newly born phoenix would be acquiring the red/orange plumage as it aged that makes it so fiery and vibrant.
Attachments
Phoenixez.png
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

I kinda though an older Phoenix has greater control over fire and his fire is more intense = hotter = whiter (or yellower)..and that reflects on the feathers.
Hmmmm....
Well, changing the hue is not a big deal, I just have to decide with what hues to stick and with what head/beak/tail combo :P

and yea..I have to work on the tails a bit more :P

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

TrashMan wrote:I kinda though an older Phoenix has greater control over fire and his fire is more intense = hotter = whiter (or yellower)..and that reflects on the feathers.
Hmmmm....
Fair enough, and you can certainly do with it as you may as it is your sprite. I just know that the phoenixes most people know from myth have the classic red and gold plumage at their peak.

I do have to agree with Skizzaltix that the sprite is very well done, but that the tail feathers are a bit too simple. They just do not seem to look like feathers.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Maybe you could add some hot bluish colors to add some more differentiation if you decide to stick with recoloring the bird as it advance in levels.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Right now my priority is to have it working - I can improve or change poses later on.

I also changed the sprites a bit. the number of tails shows it's level progression - 1 tail for the young, 2 for Mature, 3 for Elder

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Smallish update
Attachments
Phoenixez2.png
Phoenixez2.png (36.89 KiB) Viewed 3974 times

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<