It's always good to come back to Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

suvorov

It's always good to come back to Wesnoth

Post by suvorov »

I started playing Wesnoth when it was at the 1.1.4 stage and I have put in many hours since. Every once in a while I will be gone for a couple months and come back. I recently moved to Florida so it had been a full six months since my last game. What is the longest break from Wesnoth that you have ever taken?
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Jozrael

Re: It's always good to come back to Wesnoth

Post by Jozrael »

I'm currently on a wesbreak. Here's pretty much my cycle:

Play lots and lots of StarCraft. At some point, need to buckle down and do work.

Switch to a hybrid of Wesnoth and productivity. Need to buckle down ends.

Go back to StarCraft and keep up on Wesnoth fora.

:)
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

um, from 1.0- 1.4, I guess...I just started playing again in 1.4.6 >_>

I've been active on the forums, but maybe played 3 times in previously mentioned timeframe
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
TheGreatRings

Post by TheGreatRings »

My longest break has to be the month or so during which I was moving to Toronto for university. Maybe more like two months. :?

I'm taking a (mercifully) shorter break now, as I'm home for Christmas Holidays. My mom's computer would probably play Wesnoth, but its still an old piece of junk, and I doubt she'd appreciate me using up any of its remaining memory on downloading Wesnoth. :(
"One man alone cannot fight the future"-
The X-files

"Send these foul beasts into the abyss"-Gandalf
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

When u define Wesnoth as a large installation, that's when you know it's time to get a new computer :P
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

Wesnoth may not be a large download by any means, but it's certainly substantial, especially if you like to have both the stable and dev versions like me... plus lots of add-ons, it all adds up to a pretty hefty size. Still it's nothing compared to World of Warcraft or anything like that.
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I stand by my statement that if absolutely anything connected to Wesnoth counts as a hefty download, you need to get a new computer.
Zaphod

Post by Zaphod »

Sometimes I've forgot about Wesnoth for a month or so when there's some academic concern, and even longer when I discover some other cool gizmo. iPhones and Starcraft are gizmos.
How would you define not playing Wesnoth? I once spent a week trying to draw an orc portrait, and didn't touch the game itself, so would that qualify?
I shall take this potato chip... and eat it!!
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Considering that modern games can take up to, like, 30GB, and Wesnoth plus a million add-ons cannot possibly add up to more than a GB... yeah, Wesnoth's tiny. But more fun than a lot of larger games. Just shows quantity ain't as important as quality.

I don't play the game that much, so I've probably gone months without playing it, but I couldn't tell you when.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

As mentioned by others above, I have been gone anywhere from a month to three months in the past due to real life concerns. Lately, if you want to get technical, I have found that I can go a few weeks without actually playing Wesnoth, but spending all my time helping with development or being active on here.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

I think I started playing Wesnoth somewhere around 0.6 I think, but I had tried it very briefly before that... I've probably gone a whole year without playing it, but for the past few years I've hung out in the IRC channel most of the time (if not at all actively).
Jozrael wrote:I stand by my statement that if absolutely anything connected to Wesnoth counts as a hefty download, you need to get a new computer.
It's a hefty download when you're on dialup. I had dialup until July this year - probably would've been the Mac packager before that, but it just wasn't possible. And it's an even heftier upload. It's also pretty big to have svn around, and multiple copies of the data... I've got about 3GB of Wesnoth total, what with svn duplicating everything, having dmg's of each release I've made, uncompressed copies of the same, my current build, intermediate build files, etc. It adds up to a lot; I've only got 2.3GB available on this 160GB right now. :(

Also, it seems I'm back to dialup until Thursday (starting yesterday), after a wind storm took out the power in the area - I'm on solar, but I have wireless internet, and the power at the towers is out. Shared (28.8k) dialup no less - MacBook Pros don't come with modems anymore.