Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkeleRanger

Re: Campaign: Tale of a Mage

Post by SkeleRanger »

Sorry, I've been busy and haven't had a lot of brain to put to this. As to the campaign errors I fixed the halberdier and the revenenant, but mages still don't advance properly. In 1.4 I just had to modify the unit type and the other attributes such as advances_to, attacks, etc. would change automatically. Apparently that doesn't happen now so I'm working on a dirty hack to fix it.
TrashMan wrote: How can one release a campaign without testing?
TrashMan wrote: The campaign file should really be updated.
Question answered. :P :)

But seriously, the campaign's still in development and I'm working with this nice crew here to make something. If you'd like to help us then by all means, we'd love to have you. If you'd just want to play a campaign, try The Life of a Mage for 1.4. I believe that one is pretty stable.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

AI wrote:
TrashMan wrote:How can one release a campaign without testing?
Exactly as how one can make posts without proofreading them.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I did that myself a few times. F'course I tried to get at least the big, irritating, game-breaking bugs out.. and failed! :lol2:
Yup..I'm not the one to talk :P
If you'd like to help us then by all means, we'd love to have you.
I take it you have all the sprites you need, right? You need help with making scenarios? Got no experience there as of yet. Still haven't tried to make one (altough I do have a rather flexible campaign in my head that I'd LUV to do) given all the other game modding I do.
I might get back to you later, but until that time, you're free to use anything I make and post...
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

TrashMan wrote:
If you'd like to help us then by all means, we'd love to have you.
I take it you have all the sprites you need, right?
Actually no, I still need several sprites done. I guess I'll list them in my other thread.
'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index... Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

This scenario stuff is far simpler than I though. I already got a working scenario (and started working on a campaign) :)

Yea, I might be able to help you out.. Damn, there is not enough hours in a day! :annoyed:
I'm currently modding Wesnoth, Freespace2, UFO:AI and BOTF2...but..I'll see what I can do. No promises tough!
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
Max

Post by Max »

SkeleRanger wrote:Sorry, I've been really busy. The newest version 0.7 is uploaded to the 1.5.x server and it seems to work fine for me
your campaign on 1.4 is still broken. if you stopped development for this branch you should delete it.
jani

Post by jani »

so when is new release coming with orcish supremancy fixed??
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Max2008 wrote:Your campaign on 1.4 is still broken.
:shock: I didn't know that. I'll look into it.
jani wrote:so when is new release coming with orcish supremancy fixed??
I haven't even gotten that far yet. I'm still working on the mages. Remind me what's wrong with OS anyway?

Are objects able to affect more than one unit? If so it might be a quick solution to my problem with the mages.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

SkeleRanger, did you use wmllint to migrate to 1.5.x ? When running wmllint on your 1.4.x version (campaign version 0.5) it already reports a lot of problems...and that one is still stable.
In Townsquare , campaign version 0.7.3, I noticed a macro "SET_IMAGE" !? That just doesn't exist, whether 1.4.x or 1.5.x, and the flower is missing then...how did such errors come into your campaign ?
Maybe it's best to restart with the 1.4.x versions and readd the additional scenarios...

/edit
The next poster is right, SET_IMAGE is in interface-utils.cfg for 1.4 ...
Last edited by Anonymissimus on December 24th, 2008, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I had a similar problem. SET_IMAGE is a macro in 1.4 (see interface-utils.cfg), but appears to have been replaced with PLACE_IMAGE in 1.5 (in image-utils.cfg).

It's a really short macro, it's not worth using. Especially if it causes problems.
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Anonymissimus wrote:SkeleRanger, did you use wmllint to migrate to 1.5.x ?
Yes.
[qoute="Anonymissimus"]and that one is still stable.[/qoute]
Is that a question, 'cause I'm confused.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Max2008 wrote:your campaign on 1.4 is still broken. if you stopped development for this branch you should delete it.
i figured out what he means, in campaign version 0.5.1 the custom macro ABILITY_MATERNAL has an argument, but is called without it (that bug is fixed in the newest version)

a question ? no, campaign version 0.5 and previous always worked fine for me (except that bug with Lhyron's experience resetted to 0 fixed long ago)

when running wmllint --dryrun (BFW 1.5.6) on campaign version 0.7.3, it reports a ton of problems; that's why i asked if you used it...

your campaign is certainly one of my favorite ones, and i've been using it as "WML help" for my own small campaign...if you let me i'd like to help you a bit

one option for the type-change of the apprentice mages after scenario 05_Betrayal (is that the problem ?) would be to just leave it away, if BFW 1.5.6 doesn't change the other attributes automatically - that would mean one has to manually advance the mages but this shouldn't be too difficult
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
SkeleRanger

Post by SkeleRanger »

Anonymissimus wrote: when running wmllint --dryrun (BFW 1.5.6) on campaign version 0.7.3, it reports a ton of problems; that's why i asked if you used it...
Yeah, I ran it and it gave me grief too. But most of it was I used units it hadn't seen yet. Same thing happens if you run it on the core files.
Anonymissimus wrote:your campaign is certainly one of my favorite ones, and i've been using it as "WML help" for my own small campaign...if you let me i'd like to help you a bit
Ahh, that makes me feel important. Sure if you'd be willing to help I'd love it.
Anonymissimus wrote:one option for the type-change of the apprentice mages after scenario 05_Betrayal (is that the problem ?) would be to just leave it away, if BFW 1.5.6 doesn't change the other attributes automatically - that would mean one has to manually advance the mages but this shouldn't be too difficult
[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the objects will work. Knock on wood.

EDIT: Stupid qoute tags.
Last edited by SkeleRanger on December 25th, 2008, 2:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
--Terry Pratchett
Tale of a Mage(finished)
Art for Tale of a Mage
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

just ran wmllint on httt and also gives hundreds of messages like
...\Wesnoth_1.5.6\data\campaigns\Heir_To_The_Throne\scenarios\01_The_Elves_Besieged.cfg", line 167: Orcish Assassin is not a known unit type
seems to be some problem with bfw 1.5.6 or wmllint...

i can hardly filter out important messages to debug a campaign then...
projects (BfW 1.12):
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Run it on core AND httt and you shouldn't see any messages. How is wmllint supposed to know a unit called "Orcish Assassin" exists if you don't tell it where to find it?
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

well, on 1.4 I run it only on the ..\Wesnoth_1.4.2\userdata\data\campaigns\user_made_campaign directory and those messages don't happen...is this because wmllint has been improved ?
projects (BfW 1.12):