The Endless War - New gameplay concept

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Is this campaign ever going to be updated again?
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Yep. I'm actually working on it right now. I don't have massive plans for it (just add random scenarios, add end game maps and then fix bugs....maybe in a better order than that) but I'm working on it. That said, I'm moving back to the US in less than 40 hours so it's being crazy for me.

I had hoped to have it pretty well updated by now but I still don't know how to use the map converter and, the weirdest of campaign bugs came up: the player's side had trouble recalling. This is strange because all I need it to do is recall like normal plus be able to recall dead units. It's really weird but I don't feel like I've looked at the problem long enough to ask anyone in the WML workshop about it, simply because the code is rather complicated.
Last edited by Ken_Oh on July 2nd, 2007, 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I really like this concept; I hope you can do well with it.

I think merging a good storyline with this concept would be difficult, but if it was done well I think it could be a very good campaign.
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Thanks!

I was thinking of what I could do to script some dialog and banter between leaders at least. The text would have to be pretty thick to cover all the turns the campaign would normally make without repeating. It might also be neat if high level units that meat each other multiple times on the battlefield get to interact verbally. Though, I'm a gameplay-is-fundamental kind of guy so this kind of stuff barely makes my to-do list. I'd probably do best to hand it over to someone else, if there's any interest.
sparr

Post by sparr »

I played a console shooter once where the "map" of levels was arranged so that every time you finished a level you progressed to the right, but how well you did determined if you moved up or down.

Code: Select all

O good/win
 /
O---O average/tie
 \
  O bad/lose
At the right edge there were 3 possible endings, and how well you did overall determined which one you ended up at.

Code: Select all

O---O---O---O---O "win" overall, good ending
       / \ / \ / \ / \ /
start O---O---O---O---O---O "tie" overall, mediocre ending
       \ / \ / \ / \ / \
        O---O---O---O---O "lose" overall, bad ending
Doing a wesnoth campaign like this would require 16 different scenarios, each with 2-3 different outcomes and 2-3 different starting explanations (if you arrived by winning a previous easier scenario, or by losing a previous harder scenario, etc). Playing through once the player would see 6 of the scenarios, but a different 6 depending on how well they do the next time through.

</brainstorm> </nostalgia>

PS: the player never sees this "map", its just a layout concept for the scenarios within the campaign.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Right, Wing Commander (one of the early ones, can't remember which) did something like what you said, which is actually where I got the idea from. What game are you thinking of?

I'm not sure about making a finite number of scenarios. The problem is, I'd like for it to be impossible to win some scenarios, at least while on the most difficult setting. This way a player has to go on the defensive and at best can gain enough of an edge to win the next scenario. Plus, I'd totally have to change the title of the campaign. ;)

Anyway, finite scenarios and thus more unique and interesting content might be a good idea. It guess it all depends on what people find more fun.

That said, here's the current state of development:
-need to fix recalling
--recalling isn't working at all for the player's side. there's a workaround but I haven't been able to carry over units that never get recalled into the next scenario
--AI side units don't go to recall when dead, but live ones do
--I bet non-recalled units are probably being lost on AI side as well.
--AI recalling is buggy and probably needs a rewrite that uses a different approach
-need to convert maps to 1.3.x
-need to add random scenarios in between balanced scenarios and end scenarios (random maps need some added bonuses to make it unbalanced in favor of whoever just lost)
-perhaps randomly use some 1v1 maps for the balanced scenarios
-taking a page from Saboteur and Savior, I'm going to simply give bonuses to the winner for each unit they kill, maybe modified by unit level. that and rounds left will determine gold bonuses for the winners, plus a little bonus for fighting with the leader.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Ken Oh wrote:I'd totally have to change the title of the campaign. ;)
Yay, let's name this campaign "The not so endless War" :P
Ken Oh wrote:-need to convert maps to 1.3.x
What? That means you're not gonna update it for 1.2.x anymore? Booo. This campaign is so great.
Sonic

Re: The Endless War - New gameplay concept

Post by Sonic »

hm i dont know if is just for my but i download campagn,is succefull but i try play the campagn and...BUG
who not allowed my to play it
help plz!
Mica

Post by Mica »

Please check the dates of the last post before you post.

Necromancy is a forbidden skill.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

Sonic: I don't even know what version of Wesnoth this would work with. Instead, check out some of the campaigns that others made based on this concept.
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19046
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=16481
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20473