Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

IftU Portraits | Update: Shadow Master

Post by kitty »

hey again!

um, i'm not sure if i'm really back, but i did start something wesnoth related this evening and thought i'd share it. i am (or was? not sure) on kind of a wesnoth hiatus to concentrate on drawing basics - lots of anatomy, life drawings, still lifes and so on. of course i'm still far from where i want to be artwise (for that is a journey that should never end) but i feel i could start to squeeze in a portrait from time to time...

whatever, i promesid shadow master to do some portraits for invasion form the unknown. and thus could be a start for the young protagonist galas. and yeah, i said "start", i'm aware that he isn't shaded and the colours are only preliminary. the usual.
Attachments
galas1.png
Last edited by kitty on December 20th, 2008, 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Re: IftU Portraits

Post by Espreon »

Hi kitty; welcome back!

That is a good start, but there is a protruding vein on the back of Galas' neck.

I know you said that these colors are not going to be permanent, but I am not sure if you knew; Galas' eyes are supposed to be blue (according to his character profile). Just wanted to make sure you were aware of this.
kitty

Post by kitty »

thanks for the welcome :).
i know - the neck is still off, there is a major shadow cast by the fur-thingie missing. about the eyes - i know that they are supposed to be blue, but all my elves have grey eyes without pupils up to now, i'll see how blue looks like. i think the major problem is that he looks too old at the moment...

EDIT: i just realized that this thread should go into art workshop since iftu still isn't mainline... sorry!
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Fixed.

I was wondering about the eyes too. Grey can be interpreted as a dull blueish grey easily enough, but Elynia's red-orange eyes will definitely stand out.
cretin

Post by cretin »

part of the reason i browse the forums is to check out your artwork Kitty. welcome back (if your back) and good luck.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Kitty! :D You are back! :D
Ooh I like that portrait... :) It's so cool.
Check out my sprites!
kitty

Post by kitty »

next incarnation of the galas portrait - finished shading (and yes, the eyes are blue now...)
any c&c?

and thanks for the nice comments!
Attachments
galas2.png
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

- Is his hair still flat (specifically, the top of his skull)?
- The sword outline looks aliased.

But nice job, as always. It's good to see you posting portraits here again. The materials of the breastplate and the furry trim are a nice touch.
kitty

Post by kitty »

doofus, you have to click him, than he isn't pixelated anymore...
Espreon
Inactive Developer

Post by Espreon »

Very nice kitty; I do not see any flaws in the portrait (other than the non-transparent background, but that can be easily rectified).
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Love it, as usual. The breastplate does look a little bit too clean, though - how about some nicks and scratches and such to show it's seen use?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

hmm

I havn't played IftU, and I can't help wondering...

is it a boy or a girl ?

it looks really androgyne to me... the slight dark line at the skull/hair junction (which looks to me like a badly placed wig) dosen't help...

fortunately, that's probably fixable by shading...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
kitty

Post by kitty »

thanks for the fast c&c! some minor touchups....
argl, i really, really hate how the browser messes my colours up! the skin looks so nice in phosho and here it looks like a peach. but i guess i should give up on that matter for i guess all monitors out there are pretty bad calibrated anyway. otherwise he is finished imho. unless ignacio has specific wishes...
shadow master - do you need the portraits also in 205*205 on black or do we just coollect them in 400*400 transparent?

sangel - i don't want his outfit to be too used, he is young and inexperienced and hasn't seen much battle before the campaign starts.

boucman - i fixed his hairline. and he is supposed to be a guy, albeit a very young one. something like the elvish equivalent to just out of puberty. i don't have a problem with slightly androgynous elves, they are just unwanted in mainline...
Attachments
galas03.png
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

ok, removing the line helped...

I still find him androgyne, but not unnaturally androgyne anymore

within the story, it shouldn't be a problem

thx for the fix
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Great portrait :D

Only thing I dislike is the lack of ''green'' in favour of a mainly brown but my opinion doesn't matter, great work though
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era