Portrait sketches

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
woodmouse

Re: Portrait sketches

Post by woodmouse »

Girgistian wrote:Thank you. The skin colour is supposed to be very variable with orcs, so I made this one a bit pale. I can of course still change it.
Hmm I meant the clothes. I mean, the sprite has brown.
Check out my sprites!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I think maybe your shading needs more hue change in it.it seems (maybe I'm wrong) like you're just changing the brightness of the colours. As Kitty's very fond of saying, you need to change more than just that...

Also, needs more line weight variation, and the metals could use a little more contrast, particularly the knife blades (i know, realism reasons would state that an assassin would probably dull his knife blades, but, as with the archers having their quivers on their backs, most people wouldn't realise that, and it would look weird to have dull metals).
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
ael193

Post by ael193 »

Thats a really cool portrait.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Righty. I messed around with the lines and added some contrast to the blades, tweaked the shading at some points, etc etc. This one better?
Attachments
slayer-big.png
slayer-big.png (99.83 KiB) Viewed 5520 times
For the dark gods!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Wooooow... :shock: So cool!
Check out my sprites!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Thanks. Also added the lines of the orcish assassin to the first post, as well as a ghoul sketch. I believe there's a problem with it, though: we've got a downright disgusting looking sprite (which is good, in my opinion), so how do we make a decent looking portrait for it with the 'no-excessive-gore' -policy?
For the dark gods!
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

That assassin and the ghoul are brilliant, hope you get round to co louring the D Knight and that first Slayer aswell! The assassin definitely looks more Kitty style now with the lighter shading. Even if this doesn't make mainline, UMCs will be queuing up to get it :D

As for the gore, you'll have to wait for Jetryl's verdict on that, looks good so far though
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Girgistian wrote:Thanks. Also added the lines of the orcish assassin to the first post, as well as a ghoul sketch. I believe there's a problem with it, though: we've got a downright disgusting looking sprite (which is good, in my opinion), so how do we make a decent looking portrait for it with the 'no-excessive-gore' -policy?
My suggestion would be to play heavily on "disgusting" rather than "gruesome". Portray the ghoul as all pallid rolls of fat, and a gaping, slobbering mouth. There's no real need to show blood or gore - huge broken teeth, nasty claws, and an unhealthy skin tone should be sufficient to pay homage to the sprite without getting into the gore angle.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I love the ghoul! :D It's so cool. I mean, you made it look like a ghoul, I mean, it's fat! :D
Check out my sprites!
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I like what you did with the ghoul's face. Like Sangel said, de-humanized slobbering mouth and fat would probably do the trick. Maybe if you gave it a distended belly, but non-chubby chest and arms, it could imply both gorging and interior rot without necessarily scaring little children.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

Thanks.

Added a spearman sketch to the first post.
For the dark gods!
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

Ooo... But can I say... It looks too Finnish. :lol: I mean, it's berded, and the spearman sprite isn't.
Check out my sprites!
cretin

Post by cretin »

well... its not like you can add that much detail in 72 pixels. looks promising at the least.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

woodmouse wrote:Ooo... But can I say... It looks too Finnish. :lol: I mean, it's berded, and the spearman sprite isn't.
Makes absolutely no difference. Bearded is perfectly acceptable - some deviation from teh sprite is fine. However, the pose is a little bland, and maybe he's a little too bulky.

I want to have a go at the ghoul/necrophage, too. But i'm busy with drakes and uni work.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

thespaceinvader wrote:However, the pose is a little bland, and maybe he's a little too bulky.
Uh, yeah, I just noticed he looks kinda undead. Hm.
For the dark gods!