A New Land addon - Wesnoth 1.4

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

governor

Re: A New Land addon - Wesnoth 1.4

Post by governor »

What was wrong with this thread: http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15029 ?
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

it smelled funny.
nataS

Post by nataS »

There is nothing wrong with it, but it states to be for Wesnoth 1.3. And there was no ongoing discussion (latest reply at jan 12). So I decided to create a new one for Wesnoth 1.4, allowing me to put some nice stuff in the openingspost and getting rid of outdated information such as a reference to the no longer existing End of Days map.
governor

Post by governor »

I would petition a mod to merge this thread into the previous thread and update the previous threads title. Just to keep things somewhat organized.
lastdragon

Post by lastdragon »

bob pls make a diferent version of new land cause it gets boring afterwards pls :)
Saperaud

Post by Saperaud »

For a reason unknown to me A New Land and now even Siege Wars crashes on my PC. The maps loads ok but as soon as it is my turn, Wesnoth freezes to a standstill.

First of I played A New Land some monthes and Siege Wars only some days ago without problem. My question now is what's new with these versions that could cause such a problem. It appears in multiplayer as well as singleplayer.

The setup of my computer is a rather typical Windows XP PC. There is no extra firewall and Antivira as an antivirus software, while I doubt this could have anything to do with it. If you could give me some idea of what changed it might help my problem search.
Tapsa

Post by Tapsa »

Some things I noticed in The Great Wall:
There was nothing in the chest of the eastern ogre cave... and it is always open.
The starting castle style could depend on what faction you pick. Sometimes the castle enlargements look different...
Sometimes the AI only spawns ANL Era units (mages, peasants). What causes this?
The Wall could start falling 5 turns earlier because it is boring to wait hours for the real combat. Usually players leave before turn 15.
Map design is really awesome!! :shock: :lol2:
404 Signature not found
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Tapsa wrote:Sometimes the AI only spawns ANL Era units (mages, peasants). What causes this?
This probably happens when the host doesn't select map settings when starting a game. Thanks for the bugs..

As for your crashing problem, Saperaud, I would think it was a problem with your computer, rather than the scenarios. ANL hasn't changed for months, and it seems to work for everyone else.
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
nataS

Post by nataS »

Tapsa wrote:Sometimes the castle enlargements look different...
Depending on what faction you picked you get a different looking castle.
Tapsa wrote:Sometimes the AI only spawns ANL Era units (mages, peasants). What causes this?
What Bob says, don't uncheck the "use map settings" toggle, I confirmed this to be the cause.
Tapsa wrote:The Wall could start falling 5 turns earlier because it is boring to wait hours for the real combat. Usually players leave before turn 15.
If you play with normal map settings the AI players will recruit units like skeletons and grunts (instead of only lvl 0 and mages). This gives you something more challenging to kill.
nataS

Post by nataS »

ANL the Last Stand is now mainline in the development version (hooray!). One thing that didn't make me overly happy is that players can only pick the loyalist faction. Personally I believe the other factions (orcs, outlaw and undead) provide a more diverse game. Also I believe the factions to be more or less balanced.

What do you think? Would you want them to be included, and download the addon if they are not? Or do you believe the Last Stand to be better with only loyalists?
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

nataS wrote:ANL the Last Stand is now mainline in the development version (hooray!). One thing that didn't make me overly happy is that players can only pick the loyalist faction. Personally I believe the other factions (orcs, outlaw and undead) provide a more diverse game. Also I believe the factions to be more or less balanced.

What do you think? Would you want them to be included, and download the addon if they are not? Or do you believe the Last Stand to be better with only loyalists?
Last Stand was only designed for Loys and they're still the best faction for it. The other factions were for more competitive maps (and they led to slow games, the Siege Wars Era does a lot better job at ANL-style gameplay redesigned to fix critical flaws imo).
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
nataS

Post by nataS »

Abuse!!

Unfortunately the game ended at turn two. But when in lobby I noticed the host created a new game, and decided to join. Again, age of heroes, after telling him it was abuse I was able to persuade him into giving us 250 instead of 200 gold. Unfortunately my demands for 400 gold were declined. At turn two one of the players got angry because a ghost from my droided side captured his village. Altogether it was fun, and the AI and three other players were able to win in merely 22 turns.
Mica

Post by Mica »

This is one of Bob's add-ons I would like to take over, but he left before I could get a hold of him. If no one else is maintaining it, I would be glad.
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.
MDG

Post by MDG »

nataS wrote:ANL the Last Stand is now mainline in the development version.
The mainline developers are maintaining it.
Mica

Post by Mica »

I'm talking more about the whole era - and as far as I can tell, most of the developers have no clue how ANL works. :P :lol2:
Mica says one who cheats, cheats himself.

You are an Elvish Shyde - Beautiful, natural, and helpful, though sometimes under-appreciated.