Struggle For Freedom 1.5.0

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

WYRMY

Re: Struggle For Freedom 1.3.2

Post by WYRMY »

Since I've never actually done it before, I have decided to actually play Sff, to attempt to balance. it

Edit: I'm glad I did, I have found lots of bugs to change ! :lol2:
docrock

Post by docrock »

so, i played through SfF again, and i must say, this was one superbly balanced campaign till i hit "Realm of Knightmare". Which, as it is, is one great scenario, just the turns are definitely not enough. Played on BfW 1.4.5 with current version on default difficulty with a crapload of lvl3s and lvl2s and enough gold to go for anything, (so i thought) you just can't beat terrain in that number of turns. suggestions: either increase number of starting villages by 2 or (which i think is the less golden way) increase starting gold by 100 or (which imho IS the golden way) increase max turns by 10 from 57 to 67, which, in my own self-confidence I did by vi-ing the save (*confesses*) and really helps a lot.

btw:
Since I've never actually done it before, I have decided to actually play Sff, to attempt to balance. it
oh holy crapiness, if every developer did that ... where would we end up? in a world without blasted beta-testers, without unknowing playtesters, without greedy publication editors, my, even ... without lawyers. stop it. immediately. :twisted:

edit: the allied elven forces just plainly do ... nothing. intentional? also, one great verification of the principle that no battleplan ever survives first contact with the enemy. well done.
Postings may contain traces of sense.
The ministry of health warns:
Living is dangerous to your health and may finally result in death.
You are a Dwarvish Berserker: you're freaking crazy and enjoy it. (100% ...)
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

docrock wrote:so, i played through SfF again,
Wow! Again! You must have lots of patience. :D
docrock wrote:suggestions: either increase number of starting villages by 2 or (which i think is the less golden way) increase starting gold by 100 or (which imho IS the golden way) increase max turns by 10 from 57 to 67, which, in my own self-confidence I did by vi-ing the save (*confesses*) and really helps a lot.
Increased easy turns: 75 normal:70 hard:67
+1 starting village (when I get my map deitor to work, I need to modify some files)
Maybe 2 on normal
docrock wrote: edit: the allied elven forces just plainly do ... nothing. intentional? also, one great verification of the principle that no battleplan ever survives first contact with the enemy. well done.
Yeah. They are a cautious lot.
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

without unknowing playtesters
rofl cakes. this made me :lol2:
docrock

Post by docrock »

Wow! Again! You must have lots of patience.
lol, that's not called patience, it's called fun.
try to spend one third of your life on the telephone listening to stupid people unable to articulate their troubles while trying to survive as freelance IT-, Network- and Security-Consultant in Germany. I need about ten percent of my brain to answer them brainless ones. the rest is better spent playing BfW, writing postings and generally living in the Open-Source-Community. and well, a decent campaign is exactly that, a decent campaign. :)
for my part i am bloody happy to have found so many people in the OSC who are actually using their brain rather than talking before they think. a hail to all non-cat-herders. :D
Armageddon

Post by Armageddon »

nice sprites. TC is always useful and cool and everything as such.

And just FYI for the fog clearer problem, if you really don't want them to be seen, you can create a unit with [hides] and no filter. (dang if wesnoth could have idea patents, i just made one!!)

.....except that might make them not clear fog at all. I'm not sure, I haven't tried. Could do with some experimenting.
Writer, editor, and maintainer of The Rebirth of Magic (Incomplete, please support by contributing to the thread or simply downloading from the campaign server.)

Help me out by following this link and completing an offer.
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Ah, I actually just got rid of the fog and scrapped the fog clearers
t3st3r

I have a bug in sands :(

Post by t3st3r »

Configuration: Ubuntu 8.04.1 x64, Battle For Wesnoth 1.4.4.

Started with campaign version 1.2.5 and got in stuck with a bug mentioned below. Updated to 1.3.2, flushed cache and attempted to replay failing scenario.Did not helped too much.

I got the following bug: when you're escaping from prison, you may enter some hidden underground tunnel. This will lead to loading of some interesting scenario, "SFF-Realm of Knightmare".

This scenario basically worked for me but when units are teleported into future of the Wesnoth (sands) I have the following issue: when quest completed, it is claimed that appeared teleport in left side of sands will magically transfer ALL my units back to questmaster when just ONE unit uses it. However as for me, it transfers only one (or few?) unit.Other units are remaining in sands, teleport is disabled and I can't use them then for final fight with a bad guy.

Failed savegame attached. Surely I can try to cheat by hacking savegame and\or trying debug but it is interesting, am I suffer from old and fixed bugs or this scenario rarely found so just not very well debugged?

Another funny bug is that skeletal horse when teleported to questmaster may behave aggressively and kick out doors, etc. Then, it may attack some skeletons, etc :) looks funny and horse even can die. This however does not leads to any troubles though (at least knight appears OK upon completion of quests).
Attachments
SFF-Realm_Of_Knightmare_replay-45.gz
Replay of scenario
(44.39 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
SFF-Realm_Of_Knightmare_Turn_45-failed.gz
Failed savegame file
(82.51 KiB) Downloaded 370 times
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

It isn't actually a bug going to that scenario.
Apparently, {TELEPORT_UNIT} can't teleport all the units on the map. So now you have to do it one at a time. (Version not on server yet due to some troubles with lvl 6)
I've set the Horse's moves to 0, so it can't move at all. And your problems are probably because I haven't debugged the scenario well enough. Once I fix lvl 6's problems, I'll go along and re-play it.

Thanks for the info, WYRMY.
docrock

Post by docrock »

so i finally reached "Ghosts of a Sylvan Land" again and to my great horror i had to realize that not only the mercs are removed from recall but also all mages, which kinda hit me hard. is that intentional?

edit: besides that, the whole campaign now really is well balanced on default difficulty. great job.
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Oops! :hmm: Didn't realise the mages were gone!
But I'm not sure if they should stay. maybe I should say something about the mages would help restore order to Soradoc and so you left them behind. Whaddya think?
docrock

Post by docrock »

actually i was just kinda p****d coz i had one mage of light and two arch mages at that point. actually it doesn't really matter for the scenario, could kill all stuff in the last scenario with trappers, shydes, sylphs and the elvish champion with the sword of chaos. no probs there without them.
WYRMY

Re: Struggle For Freedom 1.4.0

Post by WYRMY »

Version 1.4.0 released!
This version has a lots of code changes (Although not much scenario differences), balancing changes, a new portrait, and more....
Hannibal Barca

Post by Hannibal Barca »

Found a "bug" with 1.4.0

In the search for the Ochgma; I arrived at the castle and found every slot inhabited by dwarfs.

Can't finish the level.

I continued the remaining turns till the end and it said I lost.....

Thanks

-----------------------------
Update:

I should probably add that the dwarfs finished off the leader first if that means anything.....
Last edited by Hannibal Barca on January 5th, 2009, 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheradenine

Post by Cheradenine »

Finished this campaign last night. Fun campaign, not too difficult on Normal (which was a positive for me after giving up on another campaign out of frustration). Dragged for me a bit around "Bane of Saradoc" -- with two Elvish Sylphs and the dwarf doing arcane damage, I could pretty much obliterate the undead opposition, so progressing down the linear corridor got a little tedious. "Ghosts of a Sylvan Land" was a strong ending, though.

Thanks for an enjoyable experience!