I can connect to the alternate MP servers, not the main one

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
InfiniteOgre

I can connect to the alternate MP servers, not the main one

Post by InfiniteOgre »

I can connect to server2.wesnoth.org and server3.wesnoth.org to play multiplayer games. Given that there are no people there, this is not helpful. I cannot connect to server.wesnoth.org, although I can get there in Firefox (just gives the Wesnoth site, of course) and ping it. What gives? Anyone else have this problem?

Oh, I'm on 1.4.4.
InfiniteOgre

Re: I can connect to the alternate MP servers, not the main one

Post by InfiniteOgre »

Tried it in 1.5.2, too. Still gets the same result (I can hit the alternates, but not the main official server). Anyone got any ideas? At all?
Blues

Post by Blues »

To get help you need to provide some error messages. The very start of every troubleshooting is starting the program from a terminal window, often this is also enough to see what's wrong.
Sorgath

Post by Sorgath »

I'm believe I'm experiencing the same problem.

I'm running Mac OS X 10.5.4 on a 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon Workstation with 2 GB ram.

I originally had the problem with 1.4.4 and when I attempted to delete the program and re-install it I was unable to do so because I couldn't find a working link to re-download the macintosh version of the game so instead I downloaded 1.5.2 and am having the same problem with that version.

Wesnoth has previously run fine on this computer and the problem only occurred when the servers went down (at first I thought this was why I couldn't connect to the multiplayer server).

However, I have since tested it on my G5 imac in the other room which is connected to the internet via the same router and had no trouble which indicates the problem is something on my computer however I don't recall making any changes to system preferences when the problem occurred that could cause this and considering I reinstalled the game I can't work out what the problem would be.

Here is the console log from running the game and trying to connect to the multiplayer server:

22/08/08 6:19:43 PM Battle for Wesnoth[887] Could not find image named 'MacIcon'.
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] Wesnoth doesn't have the name wesnoth, so can't locate the server.
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] Battle for Wesnoth v1.5.2
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] Started on Fri Aug 22 18:19:43 2008
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] Data at ''
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM Battle for Wesnoth[887] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz.
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] setting mode to 1024x768x32
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] set locale to ''
22/08/08 6:19:43 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] set locale to ''
22/08/08 6:19:50 PM [0x0-0x54054].org.wesnoth[887] 20080822 18:19:50 error network: caught network::error: Could not connect to host

only the last line is what actually corresponds to me trying to join multiplayer, if I try to join 10 times it will display just that error line 10 times, the rest, including the third line which mentions it can't locate the server appear when the game starts up.
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

OT:

The 1.4.4 problem has been fixed in the Wiki.

On topic:
Maybe you were banned before?
Take a breath.
Sorgath

Post by Sorgath »

I'm not aware of being banned and can't think of anything I would have done that would have caused me to be banned.
Sorgath

Post by Sorgath »

Unless I'm missing something the first link you provided there doesn't seem to be in any way relevant to this problem and the second link just takes me to the downloads page which when I try to download the latest 1.4 version, 1.4.4b for macintosh, just takes me to a sourceforge page which dies.

Here's a quote from the other bug thread you linked to:
"When I try to start Wesnoth 1.4.4, its icon just bounces in the dock time or two and then nothing happens. Here's my error.log:"

this isn't the same problem at all. Wesnoth works fine, it just can't connect to the multiplayer server.
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

Same problem here. since about 1 month i can not connect to official server. the alternative ones work. it doesnt work with any wesnoth version. what can i do?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Just as something that anakayub made me think of, if your IP RANGE is banned, then you might perhaps experience the same behavior (I didn't read all of the error messages in your posts though). This happened recently to some people. It's to stop spammers.
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

It seems InfiniteOgre has gotten in again recently.
From Morpf and Sorgath I can find no trace in the logs though. If either of you uses a different IP to connect to the server than to the forum then please state them here (or PM me or whatever). In case you have some messed up DNS servers you could try to connect to "65.18.193.12" directly. Otherwise I have no idea what could cause this since you're obviously able to connect to wesnoth.org.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Sorgath

Post by Sorgath »

I'm fairly certain the problem is something on my end not yours.

I highly doubt it's my something to do with being banned by IP range because as I explained before It works fine on my G5 imac in another room that is connected to the internet through the same ADSL Router.
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

Well, i took my pc to a friend for a wesnoth session and it did not work with his router as well. So i dont think that it has something to do with my ip.

I have to admitt, that i dont know much about computer, but if i can help to solve this problem, please tell me what to do.
suokko
Inactive Developer

Post by suokko »

Did yo utry to connecto that ip soliton gave you?

If it works then you probably have in windwos/system32/drivers/etc/hosts file server.wesnoth.org ip that should be removed.

If can't connect to that ip either then your computer firewall is blocking the connection and oyu should check rules defined for wesnoth.exe and server.wesnoth.org (ip address up there)
SatHyre

Post by SatHyre »

hi all,
i have the same problem since tuesday: i cant connect to the official server but i can connect with the alternative server (server2 and server3).
i see the game lobby but no games, and after few seconds message error: "connection timed out". and if i re-connect, "the username you chose is already used".
is it my connection? what can i do to resolve it?
another problem, i cant download add-ons. i think this problem is related to the first one.
i play with 1.4.4 under windows xp.
thanks
Morpf

Post by Morpf »

i havent yet tried to connect to this ip, but i can tell you that it shouldn`t have anything to do with my firewall, because i allready turned it out while i tried to connect