some small corrections needed....

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
sid6.7

some small corrections needed....

Post by sid6.7 »

if you go to the unit list for wesnoth here: http://www.wesnoth.org/units/1.4/C/mainline.html

some corrections need to be made such as wolfrider and cuttlefish being all one word
is NOT correct and should be shown as Wolf Rider and Cuttle Fish for unit types...

and although after a few mistakes its obvious, someone should note case is important
for unit types on the page.

i also noticed that some of the units images in core also do not have the same
name designation as the webpage...

nothing super need to do now, but maybe a cleanup at some time would be nice...

just whining...
Blues

Re: some small corrections needed....

Post by Blues »

Case ... ?
Almost entire "imperial" world is writing KB instead of kB (which would be correct). Wesnoth game for instance uses KB without space between value and unit - another violation of SI rules. Why not start educating from very basics?
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Using kB to mean 1024 bytes is also a violation of SI rules...
Blues

Post by Blues »

Right. KiB is 1024 bytes. KB still does mean kelvin-byte.

I consider all this hopeless. Education in some countries has serious gaps. For instance, Firefox browser, praised to be standard-compliant. Unit for download is KB/sec instead of kB/s or KiB/s. They use slash so I assume this is a pathetic attempt to use SI?
Winner though seems to be US Railroad, I noticed weight on cars is denoted in KGS !!! instead of kg.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Or you could all switch to American like good little children.

Kidding...
Blues

Post by Blues »

Hehee.
American = illiterate?
AFAIK USA switched to the metric system after WW2. US military did it, showing it is possible. In civilian side nobody cares. I saw on bizrate.com Mm (megametres) when they meant millimetres. For instance, KB/sec does not comply with any standards, still is used widely. I know there is at least one person in the US who knows SI ... (s)he has set up this US government site: http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html
UK is not much better, they seem to think units like MB and GB are words or something, they write Mb and Gb instead.

Lots of FOSS gets it correct though, Thunar and aMule for instance.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Using 10-multiples for anything but bandwidth (mbit aka mbps aka Mb/s) makes little sense though, which means the only ones doing so are harddrive manufacturers. Meaning 1 TB harddrives show up as 931 GB in most OSes, or 931 GiB if you OS is compliant with the 'new' (1998) standard. (which is in most cases is all it does: change the prefix)