New Terrain Idea

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Longbow

New Terrain Idea

Post by Longbow »

Hi,
I was wondering if it was possible to add a couple more water terrains seeing as currently we have only deep, shallow, ford and village (I think). What I propose - and this has been mentioned before somewhere- is a terrain called kelp forest/reef or something of the like which will give good defense for merman hunters and slightly less -but still good- defense to water units while hindering movement of these units. This will add more variety and tactics to water units particularly useful in merman campaigns and seems fitting due to Jetryl's merman naga upgrade on the way.
Anyway it is just an idea, I certainly am not capable to make the art for it but if you developer guys like it... :hmm:
My campaign, Elvish Legacy
My inventively named Era
SAM MK II

Re: New Terrain Idea

Post by SAM MK II »

You mean like in the high seas download?
I found the love, now I'm looking for my sandwich.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Haven't played it but probably :)
Edit: just played, sort of like that but preferably a better image and as an actual terrain not just an overlay
My inventively named Era
Ken_Oh
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Ken_Oh »

AFAIK Bob didn't include the terrain as an actual terrain because then everyone would have to have the scenario downloaded from the server for it to work correctly. If that isn't the case, then I have no idea why he didn't just make a terrain.

I'm all for extra terrains as sub-terrain of existing ones. UtBS has extra desert ones. I've always wanted more indoor terrain (furniture=hills, pillars=forrest, etc.). More sea terrain would be good too.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

Actually, trunk has the 'reef' terrain, its defense and movement values look like they are in dire need of tweaking though.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

AI wrote:Actually, trunk has the 'reef' terrain, its defense and movement values look like they are in dire need of tweaking though.
Really? Cool. Is there a way I can see the image for that? (please forgive my ignorance :roll: )
My inventively named Era
tsr

Post by tsr »

Longbow wrote:
AI wrote:Actually, trunk has the 'reef' terrain, its defense and movement values look like they are in dire need of tweaking though.
Really? Cool. Is there a way I can see the image for that? (please forgive my ignorance :roll: )
There is always the svn at gna.org.

/tsr
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

thanks tsr :)
Isn't that just new graphics for the river ford?
I was wondering if it was possible to make this a new terrain which was an alias of shallow water for land units but had different properties for swimmer units? Some green seaweed color would look nice in there too to contrast with the rather blue sea terrains we currently have. Probably too much work for too little gain though :hmm:
My inventively named Era
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It was originally intended to be the new river ford graphics, but there was some discussion about the original being better, so the decision was made to apply those graphics to a new terrain type which had been talked about for a while anyway.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

OK, thanks for clarifying that, I have never been a fan of the current river ford but...
Anyway, you guys still think this kelp forest/ seaweed thingy might be possible/a good idea? :?:
My inventively named Era
Rhishisikk

Post by Rhishisikk »

I'd also like to see a kelp bed terrain type. Maybe call it Sargasso or something like that if it needs a dynamic sounding name.

Can someone confirm REEF exists in High Seas? Seeing how a new terrain is implemented will help me design other terrains.
Typhon Rhishisikk

If a man has a talent and cannot use it, he has failed. - Thomas Wolfe
Wesluck (TM): Guaranteed unlike any other luck, anywhere else. - Typhon

Main Projects: ANL: Universal (era), Gambit's Empire Builder
Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Also, is there a place where it lists the wml names for terrain like the Ww or whatever? :?:
Sorry, I am veeeeeeeeeery stupid :oops: :wink:
My inventively named Era
WYRMY

Post by WYRMY »

Longbow

Post by Longbow »

Thanks Wyrmy
My inventively named Era