The Yōkai

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Weeksy

Re: The Yōkai

Post by Weeksy »

He didn't ask. He told you, and might have a reason. He might cry if you don't. Do you want to make him cry?
If enough people bang their heads against a brick wall, The brick wall will fall down
Melon

Post by Melon »

version 1.01:
Redid the artwork for the Spriggan tree and the Nine-Tailed Fox.
Nine-Tailed Fox lost her melee attack in favor of stronger range and a slight hp boost.
Last edited by Melon on March 28th, 2008, 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

before I start let me say I really love the nine tailed fox =)

k now for the one huge question

how do you wish for this race to differ from the devlings?

and by that I mean style of gameplay.. your concept is coming together as is your artwork.. it is time to start thinking of how they will play out in game. right now they seem to play the same as devlings.. is that what you want?
TheBladeRoden

Post by TheBladeRoden »

Hey is there some kind of script that automatically generates these kind of unit trees or did you just photoshop it?

http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/download/f ... =21132&t=1
Founding Father of Columbia
Melon

Post by Melon »

binaryquasar wrote:before I start let me say I really love the nine tailed fox =)

and by that I mean style of gameplay.. your concept is coming together as is your artwork.. it is time to start thinking of how they will play out in game. right now they seem to play the same as devlings.. is that what you want?
They already do play a LOT differently then the devlings. The unit functions, abilities, strengths and weaknesses are radically different then what you will find if you play as the devlings.
Feel free to download the Beta available in the OP and see just how they play for yourself.
TheBladeRoden wrote:Hey is there some kind of script that automatically generates these kind of unit trees or did you just photoshop it?

Just drew it in Photoshop.
Melon

Post by Melon »

version 1.02 is here

some of the more notable changes:
-2 new units: Mandragoras are an alternative promotion to the Sproutling with a strong ranged attack that only hits once; their alignment shifts to chaotic making them especially deadly at night. Weaver Widows are an alternative promotion for the Weaver Maidens, who exchange some of their firepower in favor of a strong and poisonous melee attack.
-Weaver Matriarch lost her poison attack in favor of stronger melee and a slight hp boost.
Last edited by Melon on March 28th, 2008, 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I don't know if you have fixed this already (you progressed like hell during the weekend), but version 0.02 used lowercase filenames in the units' WML, whereas the ZIP file contents at /images where mixed case filenames.

This won't work at all on UNIX systems. I recommend that you stick to everything lowercase, both the WML references to image files, and the image file names themselves, unless you really want to run through the hassle of supporting multiple platforms under a mixed-case naming scheme (which we currently do for WML file names only, not images, music or sounds).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Shadow Master wrote:I don't know if you have fixed this already (you progressed like hell during the weekend), but version 0.02 used lowercase filenames in the units' WML, whereas the ZIP file contents at /images where mixed case filenames.

This won't work at all on UNIX systems. I recommend that you stick to everything lowercase, both the WML references to image files, and the image file names themselves, unless you really want to run through the hassle of supporting multiple platforms under a mixed-case naming scheme (which we currently do for WML file names only, not images, music or sounds).
Ah thank you, I did not know that. All I knew was that it ran fine when I tested it, so I naturally assumed that it would work the same for everybody.

The bug report was actually quite timely because I'm ready to announce version 1.03.

List of big changes:
-Added an alternative Swarm Spawn promotion: the Plague Walker. This unit loses its ability to convert the dead into Swarm Spawn, but in return it gains both melee drain and ranged poison, making it a formidable foe indeed. This unit is not purchasible in town, so the only way to acquire it is to kill a foe with one of your swarms and promote the resulting Swarm Spawn.
-Mandragora received a pretty big buff
-Swarm lord lost his poison in favor of stronger range
-Swarms now have their own attack icons

I think I'm pretty much finished with the unit tree at this point. The only two units that still don't have an alternative promotion option for are the Poltergiests and the Shroomkin. If you'd like to see some sort of an alternative promotion option for one of the Yokai units, it is now your last chance to voice your opinions.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Mora than promotions, I would like to see a few male variations for the poltergeist and the sprites. The rest are lovely in my opinion. :)

Tought, I also liked the nine-tails with sword of previous beta :(

Finally, I like the idea that the little swarms creatures created by the swarm walker can promote in a different way than the original unit, it gives a good feeling.

(a thing to remember, the undeads zombies doesn't have traits, and your swarm produced things have traits, this can make some spawns get "better" than others, and I don't know how a swarm of insects are "better" than other swarm of insects. (all of them are strong?)

Apart of that, I must say that I like your style a lot. and I'm waiting to see how these creatures gets animated in a future. Good work :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Melon

Post by Melon »

Vendanna wrote:Mora than promotions, I would like to see a few male variations for the poltergeist and the sprites. The rest are lovely in my opinion. :)

Tought, I also liked the nine-tails with sword of previous beta :(

Finally, I like the idea that the little swarms creatures created by the swarm walker can promote in a different way than the original unit, it gives a good feeling.

(a thing to remember, the undeads zombies doesn't have traits, and your swarm produced things have traits, this can make some spawns get "better" than others, and I don't know how a swarm of insects are "better" than other swarm of insects. (all of them are strong?)

Apart of that, I must say that I like your style a lot. and I'm waiting to see how these creatures gets animated in a future. Good work :)
The Swarms are not a collection of insects that like to assume humanoid form and walk around dressed in a robe. Instead it's a spirit that uses the insects as a medium to manifest himself. The more potent the spirit is, the stronger the swarm becomes.
I do however partially agree with you that traits such as strong do not really fit it. Renaming it to something like "huge" or "overgrown" would make more sense.

Male Poltergiests on the other hand are a pretty good idea, I'll might give that one a shot and see what comes out.
I don't really see myself doing male versions for anyone else in this faction (Maybe Pixies, but that's a pretty big maybe). Most factions in Wesnoth are male-dominated, so I think it's nice to have a predominantly female faction for a change.

Edit: After playing around with the Poltergeist sprites for a bit and trying a few things, I've decided to keep them male after all. Too much work which will ultimately have too little value.
Last edited by Melon on March 17th, 2008, 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

Melon wrote:The Swarms are not a collection of insects that like to assume humanoid form and walk around dressed in a robe. Instead it's a spirit that uses the insects as a medium to manifest himself. The more potent the spirit is, the stronger the swarm becomes.
I do however partially agree with you that traits such as strong do not really fit it. Renaming it to something like "huge" or "overgrown" would make more sense.
Yes, I tough of them as spirit taking control of insects, tought the traits for it seem to be rather different than for a normal unit.
Male Poltergiests on the other hand are a pretty good idea, I'll might give that one a shot and see what comes out.
I don't really see myself doing male versions for anyone else in this faction (Maybe Pixies, but that's a pretty bug maybe). Most factions in Wesnoth are male-dominated, so I think it's nice to have a predominantly female faction for a change.
Most of your units are female oriented anyway, sprites have on literature also male variations (reason why a pixie can also be male) but the rest are too ingrained to have a different variation.

I agree that Wesnoth factions are too male oriented, mainly I suppose because there wasn't at the start the variation tag, and also for the extra work in maintaining it (need to have graphics for male and female) and certainly that's can be too much for a person.

Anyhow, two variations are mostly enough for the faction, its still matriarchal, but yet could look like the knalgans in the variation term (thief female and footpad female) but inverted in the gender roles. :)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Shadow Master wrote:I don't know if you have fixed this already (you progressed like hell during the weekend), but version 0.02 used lowercase filenames in the units' WML, whereas the ZIP file contents at /images where mixed case filenames.

The same for folder/directory names, by the way. At least Poltergeist Maestro refers to the Yokai/ directory under images/, which I don't have; the closest I have is yokai/ :).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Melon

Post by Melon »

Shadow Master wrote:The same for folder/directory names, by the way. At least Poltergeist Maestro refers to the Yokai/ directory under images/, which I don't have; the closest I have is yokai/ :).
Alright, I gave it another shot. Hope this one works out a little better.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

Melon, very nice faction! I love the unit selection and I'm impressed :)
binaryquasar

Post by binaryquasar »

Melon wrote:
binaryquasar wrote:before I start let me say I really love the nine tailed fox =)

They already do play a LOT differently then the devlings. The unit functions, abilities, strengths and weaknesses are radically different then what you will find if you play as the devlings.
Feel free to download the Beta available in the OP and see just how they play for yourself.
TheBladeRoden wrote:Hey is there some kind of script that automatically generates these kind of unit trees or did you just photoshop it?

Just drew it in Photoshop.

LOL erm I mentioned a unit I downloaded and played many times before posting... here is what I mean.. leaving aside the abilities and other frontal tactical points do you want them to be strategically the same.. ergo .. mass lvl 0 units and overwhelm your foe.. I do not suggest whether or not this is a good thing what I am asking is if you are planning on keeping them this way.

and more importantly.. if you are how do you resolve the balance issues brought up before.. which always seem to come with such races ??

these are questions not challenges. you have not done anything wrong I just want you too think more about it.