New Footpad Defense Animation

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rod

New Footpad Defense Animation

Post by rod »

I noticed that at thief has 3 defend animations - I understand that is why he is so defensive. A footpad - just as defensive - but where's his defense animation? I guess nobody's bothered to make one. Here's my impression of a footpad ducking:
Attachments
footpad-defend.gif
footpad-defend.gif (4.87 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
footpad+female-defend.gif
footpad+female-defend.gif (4.88 KiB) Viewed 4888 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The footpad already has defence frames. Yours are quite good, however the feet shouldn't slide like that - try to do that standing on any surface but ice and you'll find it's not easy. Plus, that and the way the hands go up make these look like star jumps rather than ducking. The core part - the torso and head - is very good, though. A rework so the knees bend without the feet sliding, and the hands come in to guard the body rather than leaving it open would look great =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Quietus
Art Contributor

Post by Quietus »

thespaceinvader wrote:Image

The footpad already has defence frames.
He was making this defence frame because the thief has multiple defence frames and the footpad does not, despite the footpad being jsut as defensive.

The do look very good, though there are a few things that bother me:

1. The club appears to move upwards, i feel a better option would be for it to cover a part of the face, as if the footpad was flinching and protecting his/her face whilst defending.

2. His left foot appears to stretch when he ducks, and it looks a little out of prepotion (a bit like clown feet 8) ) lol.

3.His right arm looks rather detached from the rest of the body, though i cant tell why.

But its best you lsiten to the art dev team rather than me, they know a hell of a lot more than i do :D
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Quietus wrote: 3.His right arm looks rather detached from the rest of the body, though i cant tell why.
I'm not certain, but that may be due to the shading, and the fact that it gets 1 pixel thinner, but not certain.
Last edited by Unnheulu on March 18th, 2008, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Try to change it so that his left our right foot doesn't move (but instead, the rest of his body will slide to his right our left) and so that his right our left foot rotates counter-clockwise (so that he is turning the toes of his right our left foot forwards, instead of keeping them pointing backwards like in the base frame). If you can manage rotating his body a bit too, that'd be even better.
rod

Re: New Footpad Defense Animation

Post by rod »

Here, I've updated it with the following changes:

I made the club cover up his/her face to make it look as though he was using it for defense (that one's obvious)

I stopped his left foot from sliding

I tried to fix the problem with his right arm

I made his body move in time with his leg.
Attachments
footpad+female-defend.gif (6.64 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
footpad-defend.gif
footpad-defend.gif (5.96 KiB) Viewed 4566 times
musketaquid
Art Contributor

Post by musketaquid »

Very nice! Looks like real defense animation now.
Darker_Dreams

Post by Darker_Dreams »

looks a little like the character bonks him/herself in the head.

everything else looks great... but I can't watch the animation without hearing either "d'oh!" or some sort of *bonk* sound effect.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Darker_Dreams wrote:looks a little like the character bonks him/herself in the head.

everything else looks great... but I can't watch the animation without hearing either "d'oh!" or some sort of *bonk* sound effect.
Unfortunately, this is a bad enough flaw that it's *got* to be fixed before this can go in. However, the fix should be pretty simple - raise the club. Raise it just far enough that it never "touches down" - that there's a 1px gap even at the nadir of "bracing for impact" (e.g. frame 2).

:D Other than that, good work, and thanks for taking the initiative!
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
rod

Post by rod »

I raised the club on both of the defend frames, and added a shadow behind the club.

How is it now?
Attachments
footpad+female-defend.gif (6.64 KiB) Viewed 4127 times
footpad-defend.gif
footpad-defend.gif (5.98 KiB) Viewed 4132 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

rod wrote:I raised the club on both of the defend frames, and added a shadow behind the club.

How is it now?
It's like nothing changed. Move it up at least ten pixels. Either you've accidentally posted the old version, or you didn't listen to what I said - you must raise it high enough that it never overlaps the head, even during the defense animations.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
rod

Post by rod »

Sorry, misunderstood you. :? Thought you meant to move it in front of his/her face. And the old version might have accidentally been posted up, I'm not sure. Doesn't matter. I'll fix it now.