kSeth's Portaitpoolza Thread!

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
kSeth

kSeth's Portaitpoolza Thread!

Post by kSeth »

Learning some new software and trying out a new style. Like the clean lines, but definately not as quick as I suspected it would be. If any one would like to collaborate give a shout. Looking for interesting ideas, especially good reference pics.

Cheers!
Attachments
p3 revised
p3 revised
p3_2.png (39.46 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
p2 revised
p2 revised
p2_2.png (35.27 KiB) Viewed 5302 times
p1 - revised
p1 - revised
p1_2.png (33.69 KiB) Viewed 5296 times
Last edited by kSeth on May 4th, 2008, 5:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nothing that is complete breathes. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces
db0

Post by db0 »

Hey, these are pretty good :)
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

db0 wrote:Hey, these are pretty good :)
You can actually feel the emotions shown... :o
Are you drawing for any particular campaign in mind?
Take a breath.
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

Isn't their skin tone a bit too close to the orcs'?
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
Thumper

Post by Thumper »

Those are awesomeness. More please!
is there some "only one species per skin tone" rule that the Wesnothian gods are enforcing?

- Chris
gotrek860

Post by gotrek860 »

No I'm just pointing that out.

If some humans have the same skin tone as orcs than one must assume orcs' don't have a race specific tan. Unlike saurians (green) for example.
I can't understand why he wanted them this colour, but the choice of colour does remind a lot of orcs.
You like gold? you don't care about Kings or wizards? You hate elves? then be a Griffoon Lad
anakayub
Moderator Emeritus

Post by anakayub »

They look useful as portraits for the Khalifa...
...No wonder they look familiar.
Take a breath.
Blueblaze

Post by Blueblaze »

is there some "only one species per skin tone" rule that the Wesnothian gods are enforcing?

- Chris
Yes. Drakes have slight variations, but the other races don't.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

These look great, nice work.

There are a couple of minor niggles that bug me a little:

- the hat of the second one strikes me as a little shapeless, i think partly because of the shading - it seems a little pillow shaded i think.

- the armour of the third seems to have all its anatomical detail too high up - the bottom of the pecs seem to fall above where they should, and the abs begin before the pecs under the armour would end...

- the final one's face seems set very far down his head - he appears to have an enormous forehead and almost no chin. This gives him kind of a wise old scholar look, which might be what you're aiming for, but i'm not sure.

The style's crisp and clean, and you're coming out with some really characterful faces. The hair and beards look particularly good. Great work :) Which program is it you're starting up with, it's producing some good results.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
JW

Post by JW »

thespaceinvader wrote:These look great, nice work.

There are a couple of minor niggles that bug me a little:

- the hat of the second one strikes me as a little shapeless, i think partly because of the shading - it seems a little pillow shaded i think.

- the armour of the third seems to have all its anatomical detail too high up - the bottom of the pecs seem to fall above where they should, and the abs begin before the pecs under the armour would end...

- the final one's face seems set very far down his head - he appears to have an enormous forehead and almost no chin. This gives him kind of a wise old scholar look, which might be what you're aiming for, but i'm not sure.

The style's crisp and clean, and you're coming out with some really characterful faces. The hair and beards look particularly good. Great work :) Which program is it you're starting up with, it's producing some good results.
Wow. A model critique! Everything is stated perfectly!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

These are coming along nicely. I like the second one most.
Weeksy

Post by Weeksy »

I like them a lot, especially the expressions.

Three things though-

4's hat is really really shiny (for a hat)... I've never seen any hat like that, and would be really interested in finding out what material would be like that, as even leather isn't that shiny for very long.

3's hat has a shape that isn't in line with its shading. Currently it's shaded almost like a cylinder, while the shape makes it look like it's built like an acorn.

The outlines of the tops of 2's head and 3/4's hats are a bit thick, thinning this might solve some of the shading problems for 3.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

These are really good I agree. There are some minor problems which have already been pointed out, but nothing that would stop them from being used, really. The only major issues I see are with p1.png (the woman). The line on her nose looks very out of place, and the shadows on her face and neck look somehow wrong.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Very nice. I like p2 the best.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
kSeth

Re: kSeth's Portaitpoolza Thread!

Post by kSeth »

wah, talk about a late update hah! Forum restrictions won't let me attach more then 3 pics the first post, so forgive the disorganization.

Thanks all for the constructive feedback, was very valuable and helped me hammer out the revisions.

anakayub: Wasn't planning on any campaign in particular, more just for builders in general looking for assets

thespaceinvader: I'm using good ole' Flash, finding it's vector tools more flexible and intuitive to my workflow then Illustrator.
Attachments
p6
p6
p6.png (30.07 KiB) Viewed 5297 times
p5
p5
p5.png (29.49 KiB) Viewed 5284 times
p4 revised
p4 revised
p4_2.png (28.1 KiB) Viewed 5299 times
Nothing that is complete breathes. ~Antonio Porchia, Voces